YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 100 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Get mags. I personally don't like folding or telescoping stocks on the ak platform but that's up to you.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
Well, now that I have this overpriced rifle I need to accessorize it :)

Any recommendations on parts to order before they become banned? Assuming there is some type of ban that comes into play here soon. I seem to recall the ban having to do with folding stocks and flash hiders so I guess I should start there, along with a few more 30 round magazines.

Not to fuel further panic buying, I would say magazines.

Assuming a grandfather clause exists (and I feel it would impractical the supposed new law didn't have one), as long as your receiver was manufactured prior to the ban onset, you can buy and put all these things on during the ban.

The other thing about AKs is that a lot of the stuff is imported, and it's much easier for Obama to, say, ban weapons imports than to reinstate something like another AWB.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Put 200 rounds through the 9, 75 or so rounds down the snubbie, and everything was hunky dorey. I go to pull the rifle out of the bag on the floor in front of me and before I even had it up on the table it was "You gotta be fucking kidding me" from the guy in the NEXT LANE shooting a 1911. His wife said something under her breath and they were both gone before I had even put 1 round in the magazine...

Er, shooting at an indoor range in the lane next to the guy with an AR fucking sucks. I doubt that it had anything to do with the school shooting.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Er, shooting at an indoor range in the lane next to the guy with an AR fucking sucks. I doubt that it had anything to do with the school shooting.

Maybe I just bought awesome hearing protection but rifle reports are not that bad at my range. Shot some 8mm with my mauser last week and it was no big deal.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
You guys should have seen some of the looks I got *at the range* on Sunday while sighting in my EOTech...

...yup...

AT THE RANGE. From other people shooting there. At least one each of "What the fuck?" and "You gotta be fucking kidding me", with a few "Jesus Christ"'s thrown in for effect. On the up-side, after about 5 minutes I had the rifle bay to myself. :|

Wasn't trying to rustle any jimmies, apparently I did.

I guess it just stays in the safe until I can find a spot in the woods or something.

I just want to put holes in paper. :\
So... why were they commenting? I assume because it was a military/police looking accessory? I think the mass media's stupidity to starting to leak. :(

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Not to fuel further panic buying, I would say magazines.

Assuming a grandfather clause exists (and I feel it would impractical the supposed new law didn't have one), as long as your receiver was manufactured prior to the ban onset, you can buy and put all these things on during the ban.

The other thing about AKs is that a lot of the stuff is imported, and it's much easier for Obama to, say, ban weapons imports than to reinstate something like another AWB.

good luck getting mags now. everywhere i;ve looked, at least ar 15 mags, are sold out. I looked at several pistol mags too and most of those were sold out as well. I did buy 3 mags for my P-01 off gunbroker for a decent price. They weren't as cheap as I would like but they were still cheaper than what they cost from cz directly.

Here's a question I just thought of reading the last few posts.
What does range etiquette say about sharing the range? Like say there are only 2 lanes and both are already occupied and say a 3rd person shows up.
Do you make the person wait until you are completely done? Do you take turns? Do you cut your session short?

This rarely ever happens to me as the ranges I go to rarely have any one there, especially since I usually go during the day on weekdays (normal days off), plus the ranges aren't that great, very few lanes, tables not very nice etc, but its very cheap (15 a year for 1, 20 a year for another) to shoot there and like I said, usually have the range to myself. The busiest time is like the month or 2 before deer season. I usually cut my session short.

I've been on the other end too though were there are people there and i have to wait. I've waited 30 minutes before and just left because they showed no signs of stopping.

The ranges have no rules posted for these situations either.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
My two favorite local ranges are Blue Ridge Arsenal and Izaak Walton. Blue Ridge has strict rules and enforces them equally every day.

Izaak Walton isnt super popular so getting in and shooting is never an issue.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
good luck getting mags now. everywhere i;ve looked, at least ar 15 mags, are sold out. I looked at several pistol mags too and most of those were sold out as well. I did buy 3 mags for my P-01 off gunbroker for a decent price. They weren't as cheap as I would like but they were still cheaper than what they cost from cz directly.

I hear you on the domestic stuff. I bought a Glock today specifically because it came with 3 17 rnders, and I bought another 3 off of Gunbroker. When I called them to see if I could buy more, they said "nope."

I bought 8 Lancer mags at pre-panic price ($19 each) and haven't found anything else in my price range. I've given up on the AR/AK stuff for now, because it's not going to settle down for another few months. If anything a Glock 19 with 15 rounders.

No idea about AK mags though. Places like K-var still let you order them (but their prices are high to begin with).

Last edited:

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
What does range etiquette say about sharing the range? Like say there are only 2 lanes and both are already occupied and say a 3rd person shows up.
Do you make the person wait until you are completely done? Do you take turns? Do you cut your session short?
Why not ask the folks at the range what the local etiquette is?
My first expectation would be first come/first served, the 3rd person waits as long as it takes, unless one of the earlier shooters volunteers to share their lane time (for instance, because they are keeping breaks between sets anyway).

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007

Well, I was in the "Rifle" bay...so I don't know what they were expecting.

Like I said, it wasn't just that couple, and I could have misinterpreted the various visual/verbal clues.

On a happier note, I *did* get the EOTech sighted in pretty well. :|

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Why not ask the folks at the range what the local etiquette is?
My first expectation would be first come/first served, the 3rd person waits as long as it takes, unless one of the earlier shooters volunteers to share their lane time (for instance, because they are keeping breaks between sets anyway).

because there is no one at the range, lol. This is part of a sportsman's club and there are no staff at the range. it's 3 tables total - 2 at 100 yeards and 1 at 50. If the the 50 is in use, you can use either of the 100 yarders. If the 100 yarders are in use, you can't use the 50, all outdoor.

The other range is a little better but still has areas where you can't shoot from 1 range if people are using another. This one has 3 tables at an 3/4 enclosed cinderblock building and has backstops at 50, 100, and 200 yards.
This range is maybe 30 minutes away.

If anyone needs to put up, take down, or change a target then everyone has to stop shooting. This range is maybe 15 minutes away.

The closest range like what most of you talk about with staff and stuff is probably an hour away.

I mean I could email the club staff and see what they say.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Yup. The "feeling" I got was that in light of this tragedy, people want to be able to defend themselves...but only with firearms that aren't involved in mass shootings. (I guess...)

The place was *packed*. The range I go to has 3 bays, "Pistol/.22", "Rifle", and an "L.E.O./Training" bay, but it was so busy that everyone was shooting pistols in every bay. [It's also a fairly short range (30 yards max). Not *ideal* for rifle work, but it's indoor, the weather here is shit, and all I wanted to do was play with my new sight]. :shrug:

That's cool, I had brought my 9mm and .357 as well.

Put 200 rounds through the 9, 75 or so rounds down the snubbie, and everything was hunky dorey. I go to pull the rifle out of the bag on the floor in front of me and before I even had it up on the table it was "You gotta be fucking kidding me" from the guy in the NEXT LANE shooting a 1911. His wife said something under her breath and they were both gone before I had even put 1 round in the magazine...

I was methodical with my shots. 10 rounds in a mag, slow, steady trigger pull...check target, adjust sight, repeat. I also reload, so am in the habit of going through a "routine" before I load a magazine. Line the rounds up on the counter, final check of primer depth and visual case integrity, that sort of thing. (TL:DR I wasn't rapid firing...)

40 rounds in I realize that no one is in the rifle bay with me any more. 130 rounds was all I had with me, but I threw them all down range. Felt like a leper walking out of there.

The range guys gave me a smile/nod on the way out. :\

Maybe things will cool down a bit.

Maybe it was insensitive of me to shoot an AR so soon after the tragedy.

Maybe *I* was more sensitive to the "air" of what was going on than I needed to be.

I dunno.

What range in WA was this?

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Before Dick's Sporting Goods put their tail between their legs, they were selling Troy BattleMag 3-packs for $40.

When they announced they would stop selling AR-15s, they also pulled all their mags from the shelves as well.

Now I checked Troy's website and they are selling BattleMag 3-packs for $75. Yowza. Good thing I grabbed a few 3-packs last week from Dick's.

My AK and FAL mags from AIM Surplus shipped.

Waiting on confirmation of a PMag order I placed last night. The site I ordered it from jacked up the price from $15 to $25 per magazine this afternoon.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Yowzers... are there any rifles left in stock anywhere today? Good job Obama. You've increased the amount of guns in circulation exponentially in a matter of days.

My wife gave me the green light to buy a rifle, but I guess it will be a while.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Blech, I'm gonna be annoyed if I can't get my glock 23 tomorrow. Hopping that 40 will be less popular and that nics is up. Guess I'll go in early.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Might splurge more to get something tomorrow at a sale price I still know about and is in stock.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
Question: why do I need more than like, 2 mags per gun?

Like pontifax mentioned they do break.

Theres also other reason like shooting in matches where you reload a few times. Applies to breaking too, those guys often just drop the mags on the ground (gravel, ect).

I know with my guns i have spares for them all and only use two. The rest just sit waiting if i ever need them. I generally shoot both mags, look at target, fix target, then go ahead and reload the two mags with an uplula which takes no time at all.

I keep 4 mags for each pistol i own. And honestly 90% of the time i could care less that they are "hi cap" since i only load 5 or 10 rounds to practice with anyways. So i could pick up the new 10 rounders and be just happy

As for rifles, realistically the same applies. Unless you are going for say 10 rounds, 20 rounds, and 30 rounders. Then i can see having a bunch. But again i pretty much just use two black pmags (my 223 mags) and two FDE pmags (my 300BLK mags). But i do have quite a few extras and more on order as well. But those arent for resale and were bought just in case sort of deal (pre election too). Have family friends and family who didnt have an AR at the time but if they got one....same with neighbor got a stripped lower but nothing else before everything went sky high so between dad and I we can help out our friends not get raped on mags.

Over course that doesnt account for those preparing for the end of the world/zombies/playing soldier/ or ect where they want the 6 mags in their mollee rig :)

Communicate. Third guy sees range is full but wants to shoot. He should simply go talk to the guys and figure it out. Like hey if you take a break mind if i go ahead and shoot for a bit? Or mind if we rotate shooter so we all can shoot. Thats how i would approach it as the third person though. Just go talk to them and see if theres a simple way to share, or find out how long they are going ot be.

Most gun guys ive met would be willing to work something out after talking it over. And if you do get the guy who wont share...well it is first come first serve so no much ya can do about it.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
Question: why do I need more than like, 2 mags per gun?
For leisurely shooting at the range, 2 mags per gun is enough.

3 is absolute minimum for IPSC shooting; stage layouts are allowed to assume you have that many. But that's assuming you get no malfunctions (you normally do a mag change as part of the emergency clearing procedure), and never fumble and accidentally drop a magazine for any reason. So what you really need is a minimum of 4 mags at the start of a stage.

Having several magazines also makes life easier because sometimes you'll want to have a certain amount loaded in one magazine and a certain amount in another, or want to load them ahead of time and won't have to hurry as much between shooting.

Also, I'm not allowed to transport my guns loaded. I find it's convenient to have one more mag than I need while shooting, and keep it empty. Then I can constantly keep the "shooting" magazines on my belt topped up as long as the shooting goes on, without worrying about when I'll stop shooting. When time comes to leave the range, I then don't have to empty a mag, I just insert the extra empty magazine in the gun to block dirt from entering during transport. My "empty" magazine doubles as a holding place for dummy practice ammo.

To these, you add any spares you might think you need (and suspect you can't legally get later). Again, if you just leisurely shoot at the range, one spare may be enough for the gun's lifetime. If you do like I do and drop mags all over the place, you'll probably want more. That said, none of my four CZ magazines has malfunctioned yet.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Blech, I'm gonna be annoyed if I can't get my glock 23 tomorrow. Hopping that 40 will be less popular and that nics is up. Guess I'll go in early.

There is a whole display case full of glocks up in Joseph Oregon, they don't seem to be selling much around here.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
There is a whole display case full of glocks up in Joseph Oregon, they don't seem to be selling much around here.

I think people are more worried about another AWB than a handgun ban, though I think both are equally unlikely. I half believe this will blow over. In the worst case, I think something like a mag capacity restriction might be a more realistic compromise, so the real intent is to get those unrestricted cap mags.

Last edited:

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
Hurray for artificial inflation! I have 4 magazines for my AK, 4 for my PSL, and 10 for my PTR...that's all I'll ever need.

Besides, I'm more into Bolt action/WWII Rifles anyways. I hate AR15s and the people that usually use them at the ranges here. "This ammo sucks!" "I hit bullseye brah!" or the typical "Hi, I'm an elite COD fanboi that loves M4s so I'm going to keep the barrel of my AR-15 carbine length behind the baffle at the bench so that my shitty excuse for a weapon sends all the pressure sideways down the benches and behind me. Fuck everyone else and fuck common courtesy."

Last edited: