YAGT: Moving in pains

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: FoBoT
tell her where to go
or just do it your way and let her figure it out

you should have gone through all of this BEFORE she moved it, what were you thinking? :confused:

He's doomed for now. She is pretty and she is giving it up. He'll stick around for a few years, get divorced and start to wonder why he ever put up with it in the first palce. Then he'll come here and whine about the divorce.

Merlyn3D

Platinum Member
Sep 15, 2001
Does anyone know how to spell out the sound your buddies make when they want you to know your whipped beyond all hope? I would post that here. Something like:

wwwwwhhhhhhhhhpppppssssshshhhh!

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Mwilding
Originally posted by: rh71

Like I say in all the "how to be a millionaire" threads... what good is money when you're 50 or 60 ? Ever notice how many Porsche drivers there are, with gray hair ? Your best years were when you were in your 20s & 30s... don't let it pass by. Who gives a s#!t about the old dude in the Porsche ?
How do you know? Are you 30 yet? 40 yet? 50 yet?

Your fundamental misunderstanding of what wealth is and what wealth means doesn't detract from its value to those that do.

I'm with rh71 on this one. Sure I won't blow all my money now but I'd rather spend it now then spend it when I'm 50-60+.

Once I have the house paid up and stuff in it that I am happy for. £££ for my kids education and saving for my own pension later then I'm going to get exactly what I want :D

I'd rather spend it now when I'm at my best even though I'll be almost as fit when I'm 60 but it won't be the same as when I'm 20-40's.

Koing

Merlyn3D

Platinum Member
Sep 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Koing
Originally posted by: rh71

Like I say in all the "how to be a millionaire" threads... what good is money when you're 50 or 60 ? Ever notice how many Porsche drivers there are, with gray hair ? Your best years were when you were in your 20s & 30s... don't let it pass by. Who gives a s#!t about the old dude in the Porsche ?
How do you know? Are you 30 yet? 40 yet? 50 yet?

Your fundamental misunderstanding of what wealth is and what wealth means doesn't detract from its value to those that do.

I'm with rh71 on this one. Sure I won't blow all my money now but I'd rather spend it now then spend it when I'm 50-60+.

Once I have the house paid up and stuff in it that I am happy for. £££ for my kids education and saving for my own pension later then I'm going to get exactly what I want :D

I'd rather spend it now when I'm at my best even though I'll be almost as fit when I'm 60 but it won't be the same as when I'm 20-40's.

Koing

Dood....that's so true, I would want to get HDTV while my eyes can still tell the difference between HD and regular TV.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Doboji

We're doing fine as far as money goes... I'm pulling enough myself to cover all our bills and expenses(including internet and cable)... and still save about 300-400 bucks a month. She is just uber cheap and "can't justify wasting money".

Blech...

-Max

how many pairs of shoes does she have?

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
UPDATE:

Went home for lunch and we had a talk, and agreed... pool our money for most things, and then have seperate accounts for everything else... We agreed no interference or commentary on what I choose to spend my seperate account funds on.... that means if I want to go buy time to sit in a purple dinasaurs lap and sing nursery rhymes, then I can without any lip from her. I've drawn up a budget, which we have to sit down and approve... the next fight is going to be how much money goes into the seperate accounts.

Good advice from alot of people....

Recognize that she's coming from a situation where she had to be much more frugal, but at the same time she needs to recognize that you're in a different income bracket.

Yeah her family was broke for a very long time, and this is most certainly where her frugal nature comes from. Together NOW we make way more than her parents did in their prime earning years inflation considered.

ViperGTS: About the cable... very interesting I'll definitly look into that... my main concern regarding HDTV is simply Football. And a couple specific shows... usually 1 per season... this season it was HouseMD. If I can get what I want cheaper I'm all for it... I have no use for HBO etc.

A couple of my freinds have married women who are bossy and controlling.....I cringe when I think about being in that situation. How do guys put up with it?

I don't put up with it... I address it, but I have to be tactful about it... if I just beat my chest and scream I don't get anywhere.... I have to be subtle and manipulative...

He's doomed for now. She is pretty and she is giving it up. He'll stick around for a few years, get divorced and start to wonder why he ever put up with it in the first palce. Then he'll come here and whine about the divorce.

I dont believe that any relationship can exist without a bit of growing together pains.. we are two very headstrong individuals, and as such I fully expected some grumbles and rumbles. I look at it from the perspective of being committed.... we are past the stage of hmmm can this work out... we are now in the stage of... hmmmm how do we work this out.

-Max

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
So what are you spending? About $100.00 per month on the things you mentioned? If she can't allow that, especially since you're not having a problem paying the bills and saving a little every month, then it's time you educated her on your preferred lifestyle and if she will be a part of it. These are small, inexpensive wants that make your life enjoyable, while still being responsible. She better learn to compromise quickly or show her the door.

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Anubis

We're doing fine as far as money goes... I'm pulling enough myself to cover all our bills and expenses(including internet and cable)... and still save about 300-400 bucks a month. She is just uber cheap and "can't justify wasting money".

Blech...

-Max

4-5

L

Lola

Blech...

-Max

4-5

Rock on... only 5 pairs of shoes? she is a keep! WAIT though... how many handbags/purses?

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Dobojiwe are past the stage of hmmm can this work out... we are now in the stage of... hmmmm how do we work this out.

-Max
My wife and I have gotten past all that to the "well, it works, but what the fvck were we thinking when me moved to the burbs and bought a 6 bedroom house for the two of us?" stage...

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Lola

Blech...

-Max

4-5

Rock on... only 5 pairs of shoes? she is a keep! WAIT though... how many handbags/purses?

Ready for this...... 2

Merlyn3D

Platinum Member
Sep 15, 2001
I dunno what the big deal is about HD and Broadband. At least here with comcrap, my monthly bill's around $100 for BOTH cable modem service and basic digital cable w/HDTV and the DVR. Considering what I get, it's a pretty good deal.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Anubishow many pairs of shoes does she have?

4-5
This is utterly impossible and violates several laws of nature. There is a secret stash somewhere that you are unaware of. Judging by her ploy to deceive you with the implausible number of 4 pairs, she has an Imelda Marcos like collection in a storage locker somewhere...

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Merlyn3D
I dunno what the big deal is about HD and Broadband. At least here with comcrap, my monthly bill's around $100 for BOTH cable modem service and basic digital cable w/HDTV and the DVR. Considering what I get, it's a pretty good deal.

the exact cost for me to get EVERYTHING I wanted... HDTV cable, and 4mb pipe would be a grand total of $92.31/month

The soymilk, I can usually tear through a gallon a week... thats like $6-7 so thats an additional ~$25/month.

To me ~$120 of leisure expenditures per month just doesnt seem that bad.

-Max

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Anubishow many pairs of shoes does she have?

4-5
This is utterly impossible and violates several laws of nature. There is a secret stash somewhere that you are unaware of. Judging by her ploy to deceive you with the implausible number of 4 pairs, she has an Imelda Marcos like collection in a storage locker somewhere...

Let me mentally count... 1 sneakers... 1 black closed toe.... 1 comfortable but professional... 2 open toe... ohhhh and 1 pair of bunny slippers....

so 6. Sorry about the misinformation there....

jaedaliu

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2005
Originally posted by: Merlyn3D

the exact cost for me to get EVERYTHING I wanted... HDTV cable, and 4mb pipe would be a grand total of $92.31/month

The soymilk, I can usually tear through a gallon a week... thats like $6-7 so thats an additional ~$25/month.

To me ~$120 of leisure expenditures per month just doesnt seem that bad.

-Max

jeebus, soy milk's that expensive? get a machine, you fill a little capsule with soy beans (don't even have to be presoaked overnight (though i hear it tastes better if you do)), fill the pitcher, submerge the capsule that's attached to the lid, plug in, 5 minutes later (and a lot of noise due to the blade grinding the beans) you have hot soy milk. Add sugar, vanilla, cinnamin, ice, whatever. $5 of soy beans will last youprobably half a year, the machine is probably $30 (though i don't really know, my parents got theirs in Asia)

but yah, good job working it out to an agreement that you both seem happy about. Be careful though, this abundance of spending cash might make her into a spendaholic (like most of us on AT)

Kipper

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2000
Cox cable starts at $25 if I remember correctly for a low-bandwidth package.

But honestly, I'd fix things or dump her ass.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
So 2 weeks ago my Fiancee and I moved in together.... hell has already commenced to descend upon the earth. She has been laying the smack down on everything that costs any money proclaiming that I am horribly wasteful and am a gross overspender.

Some of the huge arguments as of late:

1. No digital cable... Cox requires the digital cable in order to provide HDTV, I have a 47 inch HDTV.

2. No broadband internet.... she says $39.99 is waaay too much to pay for internet.

3. I love soy milk. She does not want me drinking the Soy milk, she says it's only for cereal. She says I'll go through it too fast if I drink it, and it's too expensive.

4. Yesterday when I came home from work, I had a huge bowl of cereal. She's mad... I ate too much she says.

Damn man... I feel like she's trying to be my mother and not my SO. I've managed to demand and win the Internet argument... however the current status of the argument is I only get (1) at the introductory rate, after that goes away in 3 months she wants me to reduce to basic cable.

I make double the salary she does... I feel like I oughta be able to say "ooga booga, me man, me make money, me drink soy milk". Argh... ATOT help me save my man card... this is getting ridiculous.

-Max

Dump...
cant hang with that sh!t bitch be on the doorstep tryign to figure out why her keys dont work anymore... and her stuff is in the garden getting watered...

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Still wondering how she's OK that you spent a few thousand dollars on an engagement ring, but is fighting you on $100 for cable TV and internet.