YAGT (grad school, with girl on the side)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
time spent towards your masters/PhD in any engineering field counts towards work experience for your PE exam requirements. masters also means more $$$, more responsibility and probably a middle-management type of job later down the road.

733SHiFTY

Banned
Jun 22, 2005
Originally posted by: SilentZero
Forget both schools and come to RPI!

nooo dont listen to him, troy sucks ( I live across the river) :D

but seriously, I would work and get masters at the same time, because many companies will pay for your classes.

Krk3561

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2002
Originally posted by: cchen
Originally posted by: Tiamat
name matters. This is what I have been told by every single one of my employers.

Name does NOT matter for Undergrad degree however.

Even more so, if you get an MBA, name matters incredibly. Yale, Stanford, harvard, etc.

GPA doesnt matter as long as it is 3.0 and better. Between 2.2 and 3 you better have a real good experience on your resume, publications, patents.

Go to the top 1 or 2 school in the field you plan on getting your degree in.

I wouldnt move for the girl. Thats why she broke up with me.
I figure my career and life is more important than the whiny b1tch but everybody is different :p

Yale's business school is terrible :)

haha thats exactly what I thought of when I read that post

frankie38

Nov 23, 2004
Let me say what needs to be said. There are other choices, they are hard ones.

Here is my advice

1) Do not make factor your gf or any gf into your decision making, period.
2) Ditch the GF
3) Work for 2 yrs.
4) get company to pay for MS EE courses, attend in the evening. Get MS in 2 yrs.
5) Afer 2 yrs work and MS EE, apply to MBA or Law School.
6) Goto MBA or JD. Grad in 2-3 yrs. Make lots of money.
7) You can have any GF you want.

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Originally posted by: rgwalt
Would your EE master's be a research masters or just a classwork masters? If it is a non-thesis masters (no research) you can pretty much count on being done in a specific period of time (as long as it takes to finish all your classes). If it is a research masters, you CANNOT count on being done on your schedule. Research just doesn't work that way. They can tell you that you'll be done after 1.5 years, but if your advisor doesn't think you are ready, there isn't anything you can do about it.

:thumbsup:
I'd also add that, as far as resume material, for a classwork M.S., the school probably matters more. For a thesis M.S. your topic, advisor, and resulting publications probably matter more. But neither likely matter if you don't want to work in the field. Why do you want to get an M.S. in EE if you don't like EE?

Have you looked into programs closer to Nebraska, but not at Nebraska? I would look at KU, K-State, Iowa State, Missouri, and anything else in the area. It never hurts to apply various places, and if you were only 2 hours away from Lincoln, you and your GF could drive to see each other on the weekends. I bet you would have good luck at KU, plus Lawrence is an awesome town and you'll get to see some great basketball.

Personally, I don't think a classroom master's is worth much. If you are going to get an advanced degree in science or engineering, I think you should do research for it. Also, no one will pay you to go to grad school to get a non-research master's.

I'll second all of that.

If you can afford to invest 2 years into a program, look at getting a research master's. Take your GRE this coming fall, and apply to schools in and around Lincoln. Tell them up front that you want to get a master's. Surprisingly, a school with a lower reputation will be more likely to give you a tuition waiver and a stipend because they tend to be desperate for American students.

Good luck.

R

EDIT: As for the MBA, I would wait and get some real-world experience (on top of that research masters). Perhaps you could get the company to pay you to go back and get the MBA... Also, I agree with others here on not moving to Nebraska. A $1250 stipend per month isn't that much, and I don't know what is typical in EE, but it is NOT competitive with ChemE grad schools. I suggest KSU and ISU because they both have strong programs, and KU and UM as backups. Heck, apply to Nebraska as a backup, but pick the strongest school weighed against your offers when making your final decision. If it is Nebraska, then fine, but don't move there for the girl.

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Battleangel3222
Let me tell you one thing....all the crap your doing right now....will all basically ammount to.....nothing. After your first major job its all about references and past experience.

And how do you get a good first major job & experience??
By going to a good school and doing well.
:roll:

J0hnny

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2002
Originally posted by: frankie38
Let me say what needs to be said. There are other choices, they are hard ones.

Here is my advice

1) Do not make factor your gf or any gf into your decision making, period.
2) Ditch the GF
3) Work for 2 yrs.
4) get company to pay for MS EE courses, attend in the evening. Get MS in 2 yrs.
5) Afer 2 yrs work and MS EE, apply to MBA or Law School.
6) Goto MBA or JD. Grad in 2-3 yrs. Make lots of money.
7) You can have any GF you want.

This is the best route.

An MBA or JD in a good reknown school will get you higher in the food chain than a master in EE at UT easily.