YAGT: Buy her a laptop?

simms

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2001
ok done. we came to the conclusion i'm going to get one for around $550.
odds are she won't accept it unless she pays at least $500.
her brother can get his own laptop that costs $3k.

she doesn't need this for college. she's DONE college now.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
How much do you make? You shouldn't be spending more than 1% of your income on gifts for your gf.

thelanx

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2000
This might not go over so well with the brother who is expecting to share the cost of a new laptop.

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
1) If you can afford it
2) Buy her a laptop that fits her needs.
3) A Dell is CHEAP, check HD
4) If she complains that it's a Dell, something is wrong with her since it's a gift.

InlineFour

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
i'm assuming she's just finishing high school.

she'd probably stay with you 6 months longer if you bought her the laptop. :p

Apr 17, 2003
Originally posted by: fs5
1) If you can afford it
2) Buy her a laptop that fits her needs.
3) A Dell is CHEAP, check HD
4) If she complains that it's a Dell, something is wrong with her since it's a gift.

i dont know, thats a tough call: new low end dell vs. older IBM T40. i would imagine the T40 would be a better buy overall

iamtrout

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2001
1. Buy yourself a new laptop.
2. She dumps you after half a year.
3. You have a semi-new laptop!

sniperruff

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
buy her a 710m when they go on sale. screw her brother. desktop/consoles are for games, not laptops.

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
Sure, why not? I built my old girlfreind a desktop to replace her ancient Gateway when we were going out :) Just be reasonable and stay in budget - don't go blowing more than you can afford. It's a piece of electronic equipment, not an engagement ring :p

EDIT: just saw the last line in the post. Buy it for your girlfriend and tell the brother to get his own stuff.

Nate

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Hmm...how about you WAIT until the brother gets his? AND THEN you get one for her, and he can't say jack shvt and both have their own laptops FTW?

SokaMoka

Banned
Feb 24, 2006
WTF! Why should you buy her the laptop?

I can understand you trying to be nice and stuff, but trust me I am talking from experience, keep your hands in your wallet, don't let girls exploit the kindness in you, this isn't a joke $ 500 - 600 is some seriouse money to be just blown away on a GF's gift, you are not even fckn engaged!
And WTF, her brother now is getting picky and now you have to foot the bill! That's unheared off!
SokaMoka has warned you, the rest is up to you.

But If you really want to show you care, here is what you do :

1- Find how much would the laptop she would need cost.
2- Tell her that you would be willing to pay up to a max of maybe $ 150 of it's price as a compensation for her gift(s).
3- Go around looking for hot deals find her the best deal and save her tons of money on the purchase, in a way that the Hot Deal + you assistance
will make it pretty affordable.

In that manner she would get her gift from you, learn how to depend on herself and the spoiled bro that wants a dual core gaming monster while his sister needs a lappy for college can learn a lesson or two.

Neurorelay

Platinum Member
Jul 21, 2004
Gateway laptop for price/performance. Boutique laptops are just that, a niche market. Get something that you could take into any brick and mortar and get fixed if necessary.

simms

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2001
Ok, in all honesty, she probably wouldn't take it and she would pay me $500 at least before she would be satisfied. So in essence, I would probably only be paying $150-200. But you know... girls won't make a move until you do, so I feel like this is a good move.

I'm buying this for HER, not for her brother. She just needs something that works.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
It sounds like both of you are living outside of your means. First you say you both like to spend on trips and nice dinners, but then you say she can't even afford a laptop.

Who gives a sh!t what the brother says, the notebook is for her. Get her a cheap Dell which fits HER needs if you can afford it. It's not your problem to support the brother, or combine money to purchase a laptop for the "family".

Indolent

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2003
Originally posted by: thelanx
This might not go over so well with the brother who is expecting to share the cost of a new laptop.

He's expecting to share the cost of something that he is making more expensive with high end stuff that only he will use.

ucdbiendog

Platinum Member
Sep 22, 2001
heres the thing. for a graduatin gift, you want to get her something that will last. she will probably get 4-5 years of use out of a computer if shes lucky, then get rid of it. get her something like an expensive pen/pencil set engraved with a personal note from you, or something along those lines. whilea laptop is very thoughtful now, it wont be remembered 20 years form now. just my 2 cents. besides, she will geta job if shes finishing school, and will soonn be able to afford one

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
this is not a good move. seriously, if you had half a brain you'd know it's not. you've only been going out for a year, that's nothing man. get her something that shows you care, but not something that will break the bank. trust me, you are a fool to get her a laptop, a damn fool.

simms

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: tfinch2
It sounds like both of you are living outside of your means. First you say you both like to spend on trips and nice dinners, but then you say she can't even afford a laptop.

Who gives a sh!t what the brother says, the notebook is for her. Get her a cheap Dell which fits HER needs if you can afford it. It's not your problem to support the brother, or combine money to purchase a laptop for the "family".

Good point. Trips we usually split (but I pay a bit more of the share). Dinners are mostly covered by me.

She has about $800 she could use to buy a laptop, but her brother is convincing her they need a $3K Toshiba. (hence not enough money.)

I think she doesn't need a $3K Toshiba. But she won't buy one until her and her brother agree on something...

So I want to take it in my own hands.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: simms
Originally posted by: tfinch2

Good point. Trips we usually split (but I pay a bit more of the share). Dinners are mostly covered by me.

She has about $800 she could use to buy a laptop, but her brother is convincing her they need a $3K Toshiba. (hence not enough money.)

I think she doesn't need a $3K Toshiba. But she won't buy one until her and her brother agree on something...

So I want to take it in my own hands.

How old his her brother?

simms

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Sudheer Anne
this is not a good move. seriously, if you had half a brain you'd know it's not. you've only been going out for a year, that's nothing man. get her something that shows you care, but not something that will break the bank. trust me, you are a fool to get her a laptop, a damn fool.

Read. She probably won't even take it without paying me $500 back. Net cost to me is only $150ish. Totally reasonable.

She just needs the initiative to have a laptop for her instead of always deciding back and forth.