YAGT: Asked a girl to go to lunch with me...

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
And she said yes. I'll probably walk to her side of the campus and go to a restaurant over there. So I have some questions:

It's just casual and not really a date (though I wish it was, I'm not sure how interested she is), so we should pay our own ways?

I'm not a very talkative guy and pretty shy, I know I'll run out of stuff to talk about and start saying dumb stuff. What should I try to start some conversations yet?

Any advice for not f*cking this up? ;)

UPDATE for those who want pics: First picture I have taken of me and her, I'll post.

UPDATE:

We went out to eat around 12, and I left around 1:30. I walked to her dorm and asked her if she wanted to go to Sbisa (a dining hall). The look on her face was funny. I was joking of course. We went to a pita place and walked back to a picnic table outside her dorm. It got a little quiet towards the end, but I think it went pretty well. We hugged, and walked back to our dorms.

I got her number now, do you think I should call back today or tomorrow? I really want to take her ice skating.

UPDATE: Will begin to post updates on op.

UPDATE: I called her up today, and she didn't answer. About 15 minutes later she calls me and after some chatting, I ask her if she wanted to go to the baseball game. She said yes, but the mentioned she has a lot of homework. So it turned into a maybe. I told her to work on some homework and call be back before she goes out tonight.

So if she ends up going, I think it's a pretty good sign that she's interested. If not, it's kind of up end the air.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: txrandom
And she said yes. I'll probably walk to her side of the campus and go to a restaurant over there. So I have some questions:

It's just casual and not really a date (though I wish it was, I'm not sure how interested she is), so we should pay our own ways?

I'm not a very talkative guy and pretty shy, I know I'll run out of stuff to talk about and start saying dumb stuff. What should I try to start some conversations yet?

Any advice for not f*cking this up? ;)

Ask her about herself. Girls love to hear themselves speak especially about themselves.

sniperruff

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
1) observe- you can talk about your surroundings or whatever is interesting
2) listen- pay attention and really listen to her conversation
3) ask- most girls like to talk about themselves... if they are at least a little interested in you
4) i'd offer to pay. most girls dig that. just insist and tell her that you were the one who invited.

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
If you like this girl, you should pay for this lunch (your first lunch together) unless she insists on paying for herself. If you can't deal with that, then just don't show up.

Beyond that, just be yourself. She's already agreeable to spending some time with you so don't anything too horrible. Just let things flow.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Let her pay for herself. If you buy her lunch on your first date, then you are paying for everything forever.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
You really need to start things off right so she doesnt get the wrong idea.

Tell her in no uncertain terms that if she expects to get to groove on your love sword, she had better pony up the money for lunch, you cant be expected to perform on an empty belly.

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Yeah, don't be a cheap a**, buy the girl lunch. But like smoochy said, don't push it if she wants to pay for her own.

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
definitely have money to pay for both of yourselves. my rule of thumb is that if she offers to pay more than two/three times, then let her pay. if not, pay for her as well.

be calm, cool, and be yourself! just have fun! if it doesnt work out, so what? there are plenty of other women out there.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Worst date ever!

Don't ever settle for lunch, you need to be the night date.

Lunch=friendship

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: sniperruff
3) ask- most girls like to talk about themselves... if they are at least a little interested in you
4) i'd offer to pay. most girls dig that. just insist and tell her that you were the one who invited.

yeah

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
I talked to her once last semester cause she was in a class of mine. This semester she is in my physics class. I started talking to her after class and sitting with her a couple weeks ago. I like her, but I'm not really sure how she feels about me; Some girls will say sure to a lunch, but only said that cause they don't want to be "mean".

I'll see how it goes and insist on paying for lunch.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
how about:

you: "hey, you wanna go out on a date sometime?"
her: "well, i'm kinda already seeing someone" (or any other "no" response)
you: "oh, ok... that's cool. *to the waiter* by the way, separate checks."

yobarman

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
Here's a tip. Don't worry about it at all. Don't post about it on this forum cause you're going to get a thousand different responses. You'll be thinking about 'what to do' too much, get nervous about this and that, and end up messing something up. Just go and be comfortable. That's all.

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Fmr12B
Worst date ever!

Don't ever settle for lunch, you need to be the night date.

Lunch=friendship

That's why I'm thinking I should ask her if she wants to go out for ice cream or a movie later that night. Do you think that's too soon since I just did something with her earlier that day?

SZLiao214

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
Originally posted by: eits
Originally posted by: sniperruff

yeah

:thumbsup:

40sTheme

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2006
Listen and say yes like you understand if they just constantly talk about stuff. After they're done doing that, try to spark up some intelligent conversation. But, if she talks about life and stuff the whole time, just pay attention. A situation like that shows that she just needs some attention. At least in my experiences. Ladies, want to help me out on this one? I want to make sure I'm encompassing the general female population and not just the 2 girlfriends I've had and the one I have now.