YAG(un)T: Not for Sale in California. Pics ahead

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
You getting a red-dot sight for it? COD4 sucks unless I have a RDS equipped.

CptCrunch

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2005
Very nice gun, will hopefully be picking up a S&W M&P 9mm shortly to begin my gun collection

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
That's a rather Macho looking rifle.

This is my rifle, this is my gun
This is for shooting, this is for fun

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: jpeyton
You getting a red-dot sight for it? COD4 sucks unless I have a RDS equipped.

Meh, iron sights can be just as quick and more accurate at longer ranges. Btw, I have that same rifle and love it. It has a much crisper trigger then any M4 that I had in the Army.

dakels

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
Originally posted by: hiromizu
Originally posted by: Amused
I shot one of those about a month ago. I believe they're 22 calibre. I'm anti-gun though so I can't say I'm happy for you to own one of those things.

I never understand the logic of someone being anti-inanimate object. As if the object was capiable of forming an intent of it's own.

And curiously enough guns are the only inanimate object people use this "logic" on.

You're not understanding the logic. Guns were and still are designed for destruction - people or animals or inanimate objects - with minimal effort and with the added safety of distance as well as giving the holder psychological power over a target.

I know where this is headed so I'll stop but that's my opinion and I'll close by saying that I feel that it is an unnecessary weapon in most parts of a modern society.
I agree but there are people such as myself that like guns purely for range target shooting. Same with bows. I have never fired a bow or gun at anything living, not even a tree, and I am for extremely tight gun control even if that meant keeping my guns at a range under lock and key.

You could argue with someething like lasertag or whatever for range shooting but I will argue that there is nothing simulated that replicates the feel of holding a rifle, guaging the shot, conditions, controlling - even autonomous functions of your body to squeeze off the shot... There is something very organic, peaceful, and satisfying about sniper shooting, even if it's origins and uses are natured in violence. It is unique IMO in the world of firearm shooting. That is often very evident in the owners of the guns too. Snipers are a different breed of people.

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Unheard
Nice. I also just added another gun to my collection. Picked up a Kel-Tec Sub2000 in 9mm. I'm an AK guy myself, but I do like the AR's quite a bit, and the RRA's are some of the best you can get. Are you going to drop the cash for an EOTech?

As for "converting" it to FAL, even with the tax stamp you can't convert a gun. It has to be made FAL @ the factory, and be manufactured prior to 1986 (I think thats the year). That is, unless you are a 01 FFL dealer. Then you can own whatever.

86 is the cut off year for full auto. Unless you can get a demonstrators declaration or whatever they call it so you can posses full auto. The problem with the demonstrator declaration is any weapon you have under that declaration can not be sold or transfered. I was thinking class III for SBR and such as being able to convert, which I know you can do. I want a uber small 12G pump shotty that will fit in my back pack. just because it would piss people off.

Ernie99

May 4, 2006
Originally posted by: freegeeks
nice, can you convert these things to full auto?

<- don't know sh*t about guns

You cannot just "convert" guns to full auto with being a Class 2 manufacturer. Even just owning the necessary parts without the proper license or paperwork can get you in hot water with the govt. The only transferrable (to civilians) machine guns must have been manufactured or imported before 1986, and will run between $6,000 and $25,000 depending on the particular weapon. Each time the weapon is transferred there is also a $200 tax stamp purchase required as well. Two are required if the buyer and seller are in different states.

Nice gun, by the way. Rock River makes a great AR. I am particularly more fond of my H&K SL8/G36 conversion, but would not mind owning an AR either. Once H&K makes their AR clone civilian available, I may look into it.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Why the front handle?

I've fired shotguns with those and they are pretty much useless. I can get much better shot placement by shouldering any long gun and sighting down the length of the barrel. Besides, holding it with one of those handles while the weapon is shouldered doesn't feel as natural to me.

hiromizu

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Originally posted by: dakels
I shot one of those about a month ago. I believe they're 22 calibre. I'm anti-gun though so I can't say I'm happy for you to own one of those things.

I never understand the logic of someone being anti-inanimate object. As if the object was capiable of forming an intent of it's own.

And curiously enough guns are the only inanimate object people use this "logic" on.

You're not understanding the logic. Guns were and still are designed for destruction - people or animals or inanimate objects - with minimal effort and with the added safety of distance as well as giving the holder psychological power over a target.

I know where this is headed so I'll stop but that's my opinion and I'll close by saying that I feel that it is an unnecessary weapon in most parts of a modern society.
I agree but there are people such as myself that like guns purely for range target shooting. Same with bows. I have never fired a bow or gun at anything living, not even a tree, and I am for extremely tight gun control even if that meant keeping my guns at a range under lock and key.

You could argue with someething like lasertag or whatever for range shooting but I will argue that there is nothing simulated that replicates the feel of holding a rifle, guaging the shot, conditions, controlling - even autonomous functions of your body to squeeze off the shot... There is something very organic, peaceful, and satisfying about sniper shooting, even if it's origins and uses are natured in violence. It is unique IMO in the world of firearm shooting. That is often very evident in the owners of the guns too. Snipers are a different breed of people.

Not sure about "organic" since what I felt was completely the opposite but it made it that much more exciting to shoot. I have to admit that shooting at a range is good clean fun.

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Why the front handle?

I've fired shotguns with those and they are pretty much useless. I can get much better shot placement by shouldering any long gun and sighting down the length of the barrel. Besides, holding it with one of those handles while the weapon is shouldered doesn't feel as natural to me.

After having shot my friends AR without a handle and then shooting it with the handle, for me, it feels a little easier to control. Plus if you shoot A LOT it will get hot around the standard hand guard.

Plus it's tacti-COOL. lol

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Why the front handle?

After having shot my friends AR without a handle and then shooting it with the handle, for me, it feels a little easier to control. Plus if you shoot A LOT it will get hot around the standard hand guard.

Plus it's tacti-COOL. lol

I remain skeptical. I'm not into modifying perfectly good guns with stuff like this. I put a folding stock w/pistol grip on a 12 gauge shotgun once but changed it back because it made the gun more difficult to control and it actually kicked harder with the aftermarket stock.

SoundTheSurrender

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005

When you have a gun, you just feel... so... MANLY!

Like that episode of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" where the gang gets a gun.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
who still gives 56k warnings? If you're on 56k then you probably don't even realize there is an internet outside of the aol chat forums

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: paintballwebs
Originally posted by: paintballwebs
nice, can you convert these things to full auto?

<- don't know sh*t about guns

at least in Wisconsin, that is very illegal without a Class 3 license.

is it easy to get such a license?

no, it is basically impossible after 9/11, but one of my friends uncles had one before and has a wide assortment of fun weapons

You do not need a class 3 "licesnse" to own full auto, just to sell them.

You also cannot convert ANY weapon to full auto even with a class 3 license.

To own a legit M16 lower receiver, all you need to do is find one for sale (they run on average $12,000-$15,000 just for the lower receiver), fill out the form 4 form, get fingerprinted, get passport photos, and have the sheriff or the chief of police where you live to sign it. You send that paperwork with a check for $200 to the ATF. When you get the paperwork back with the tax stamp much later (six weeks to six months) you can take possession of the firearm.

It is extremely easy to get all class 3 items (short barreled rifles and shotguns, supressors, machineguns, and destructive devices), you just gotta do the paperwork.

I just submitted paperwork for my new SBR AR-15 lower I am purchasing, just gotta get the paperwork back so I can take it home. 10.5 inch barrels are a thing of beauty.

I am committing myself to buying at least one gun per month for the rest of this year. The next gun after this SBR lower purchase is going to be another AR that is in stock at the local fun store - a Smith and Wesson Military&Police 15 F with an EOTech 552 holographic sight. Cant wait to play with that one.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Nice. Is it the shortest (16") barrel possible or can you get one even shorter <legally> and what is the shortest barrel ever?

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Svnla
Nice. Is it the shortest (16") barrel possible or can you get one even shorter <legally>.

You can get one shorter, but you have to register the weapon as a short barreled rifle, which have been heavily regulated since 1934 (along with machineguns).

The absolute shortest without going SBR is 16" overall length. You can have a 14.5inch barrel with a 1.5" flash hider and it is legal.

dakels

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002

Not sure about "organic" since what I felt was completely the opposite but it made it that much more exciting to shoot. I have to admit that shooting at a range is good clean fun.
My meaning of organic, the aspects of feeling your environment, air, humidity, wind, laying on the ground. Things you don't generally consider when you are rattling off shots from an AR-15 or pistols.

Ernie99

May 4, 2006
Originally posted by: gsellis
Nice. But I still want a HK 416. :D

Unfortunately, those are LEO/military only. You can buy the uppers, however, for about $3000. Supposedly, a civilian version is in the works, but it may not come until the end of the year. The MR223, I think they are calling it.

dakels

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
Why? Why not just an AR-15 modified... Cool factor?

No offense to you gsellis, I'm speaking in general, but this is something that always bothers me. Be it hypocritical or not, owning guns because they are "cool" or "manly" is a real problem IMO. Reading some of the comments on the desert eagle videos on youtube make me really sad for humanity. The really funny (read sad) is a sizable portion of DE sales are fueled by FPS gamers.

Ernie99

May 4, 2006

No offense to you gsellis, I'm speaking in general, but this is something that always bothers me. Be it hypocritical or not, owning guns because they are "cool" or "manly" is a real problem IMO. Reading some of the comments on the desert eagle videos on youtube make me really sad for humanity. The really funny (read sad) is a sizable portion of DE sales are fueled by FPS gamers.

One nice feature of the 416 is its gas piston, but you can find this on an AR-18 as well. Also, I seriously doubt desert eagle sales are fueled by gamers. Desert eagles are expensive and impractical.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Ernie99

One nice feature of the 416 is its gas piston, but you can find this on an AR-18 as well. Also, I seriously doubt desert eagle sales are fueled by gamers. Desert eagles are expensive and impractical.

I'd like to know where you got that information as well. New, they're well over a thousand dollars each, with each shot costing you over a dollar if you're using 50ae. 50 cents if you're getting the 44 mag version.

I've never used my firearms for anything other then range use, but it makes no good to me when so many others use it as a tool against other humans. My firearms would be no use to me locked up at the range.

EDIT: Reading comments on anything on youtube makes me sad for humanity.