YAG(un)T: Not for Sale in California. Pics ahead

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Very nice. Shooting the AR is fun...but I do like my AK better. Looking for a good lever action next I think.

paintballwebs

Feb 18, 2003
Originally posted by: freegeeks
nice, can you convert these things to full auto?

<- don't know sh*t about guns

at least in Wisconsin, that is very illegal without a Class 3 license.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006

if you want to break federal law, sure you can.

hiromizu

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
I shot one of those about a month ago. I believe they're 22 calibre. I'm anti-gun though so I can't say I'm happy for you to own one of those things.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by: paintballwebs

is it easy to get such a license?

paulxcook

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: hiromizu
I shot one of those about a month ago. I believe they're 22 calibre. I'm anti-gun though so I can't say I'm happy for you to own one of those things.

Did you read the topic subtitle?

Nice gun. Is it hard to convert to full auto? Not permanently, but just once to see what it's like before you, um, de-convert it?

paintballwebs

Feb 18, 2003

no, it is basically impossible after 9/11, but one of my friends uncles had one before and has a wide assortment of fun weapons

Aug 23, 2000

.223/5.56 the bullet itself is a little bit fatter than a .22, but it is longer and the cartridge with the powder is MUCH bigger.

At least you shot one and can form your opinion based off of that.

Aug 23, 2000

no, it is basically impossible after 9/11, but one of my friends uncles had one before and has a wide assortment of fun weapons

No it's not. You fill out the application and send it along with $200 to the ATF. They do their background check and you have to get the head LEO of your county to sign off on it.
There have been reports of head LEO's not signing them, but that is actually against the law, since he can not over rule federal law. If you pass the background check, then basically getting him to sign it is just a formality.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
I'm looking to get a carbine soon. I'm either going to get a S&W M&P AR-15 or Beretta CX4 Storm .40S&W.

That's a nice looking AR. :thumbsup:

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

I never understand the logic of someone being anti-inanimate object. As if the object was capiable of forming an intent of it's own.

And curiously enough guns are the only inanimate object people use this "logic" on.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Amused

I never understand the logic of someone being anti-inanimate object. As if the object was capiable of forming an intent of it's own.

And curiously enough guns are the only inanimate object people use this "logic" on.

Nah... cell phones, video games.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004

Drugs are inanimate too, and plenty of people are anti-them.

hiromizu

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski

.223/5.56 the bullet itself is a little bit fatter than a .22, but it is longer and the cartridge with the powder is MUCH bigger.

At least you shot one and can form your opinion based off of that.

I didn't mean to offend anyone honestly.

I've also shot an AK47 that same hour and have to admit that it was fun but coming from a country where cops hardly carry guns and living in NYC where pretty much everyone's opinion is against ownership, I just found it to be the most unnatural thing I've ever experienced.

The psychological effect caused by the sheer destructive force it has with such minimal effort was scary to say the least. My most immediate thoughts were people should not be carrying these things around and definitely not left at home but I can also imagine that in a suburban neighborhood where there are no police stations or neighbors for miles can benefit from having some sort of gun protection.

My opinion on the subject goes both ways I guess. Depending on the culture and environment, it can have its uses.

Unheard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2003
Nice. I also just added another gun to my collection. Picked up a Kel-Tec Sub2000 in 9mm. I'm an AK guy myself, but I do like the AR's quite a bit, and the RRA's are some of the best you can get. Are you going to drop the cash for an EOTech?

As for "converting" it to FAL, even with the tax stamp you can't convert a gun. It has to be made FAL @ the factory, and be manufactured prior to 1986 (I think thats the year). That is, unless you are a 01 FFL dealer. Then you can own whatever.

hiromizu

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007

You're not understanding the logic. Guns were and still are designed for destruction - people or animals or inanimate objects - with minimal effort and with the added safety of distance as well as giving the holder psychological power over a target.

I know where this is headed so I'll stop but that's my opinion and I'll close by saying that I feel that it is an unnecessary weapon in most parts of a modern society.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001

You're not understanding the logic. Guns were and still are designed for destruction - people or animals or inanimate objects - with minimal effort and with the added safety of distance as well as giving the holder psychological power over a target.

I know where this is headed so I'll stop but that's my opinion and I'll close by saying that I feel that it is an unnecessary weapon in most parts of a modern society.

Its when you're in those other parts of modern society that you realize how wrong you are.

dakels

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
I'm also anti gun but I like my Rem 700 PSS* :p I'm just for strict gun control, not anti gun. Anyways that's not what this is about.

What did you get the gun for Jeffrey? I used to fire a friend's AR-15 that was very heavily weighted and balanced for range (iron sights). Not many place around here past 50y though. It's like an hour+ drive for me to go to a range over 50y. PA and upstate NY have some nice 200-300y+ ranges.

Oh and I wouldn't bother trying to convert to FA. FA ranges are rare and usually expensive. Then again, many people who convert never intend on going to a range or getting proper licensing... and maybe think ATF means AnandTechForums :p

*Oh yea I have a GA Prescision Rem 700+Leupold with about 70 rounds fired on it. Was contemplating selling it but I sent it to my father's (who is a retired cop) for safe keeping. It's purely for range. I do not hunt.

hiromizu

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Originally posted by: Kelvrick

Its when you're in those other parts of modern society that you realize how wrong you are.

I've admitted to that already ;)