YAG(uitar)T: Found a classical guitar in my closet, WTF can I do with it

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
is it worth using if i have no plan at all of playing anything classical? should i go out and buy an acoustic guitar? can i restring it with steel strings?

PunDogg

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2002
light it on fire, while doing some weed and or acid, and call your self Jimi

Dogg

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Get it appraised and if it is worth $ sell it on eBay (if you don't need/want it)

MegaloManiaK

Golden Member
May 27, 2003
If you are planning on playing the guitar i would have it restrung (classical nylons) and learn on it.

There is no reason you can't learn on a classical, basicly its the same as a steel guitar but you wont be able to beat the crap out of it when you play.

If you stick with it long enough to learn to play then upgrade. Most people never become guitar players, they quit becuase you have no idea how much it can hurt when you start out.

MegaloManiaK

Golden Member
May 27, 2003
As far as i know you can't string steel stings into a classical guitar.

Have it appraised if you think it could be worth something (I.E. you knwo who it used to belong to and they were well enough off to have a nice guitar)

Seriously if its a full sized guitar it should be sufficient for you to learn enough to see if you are going to stick with the instrument.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
You found a guitar in your closet?

Like it suddenly appeared, and you had no idea it was there?

As a general rule, a closet would have to be relatively large for a guitar to become lost in one.

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I learned on a classical. If you can learn some dope Spanish Classical, you'll be a hit with the ladies.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Restring and learn how to play.

Good thing I won't hurt when I start to learn (already play a stringed instrument).

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Sluggo
You found a guitar in your closet?

Like it suddenly appeared, and you had no idea it was there?

As a general rule, a closet would have to be relatively large for a guitar to become lost in one.

dad used to play guitar actually, so not "my" closet

Talon

Golden Member
Oct 29, 1999
Don't restring it with steel strings. The bracing may not be able to handle the higher tension of the steel.

huey1124

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2000

i play classical guitar.

it uses nylon strings, and it won't hurt your fingers at all. classical guitar is very fun to play, and relatively easy to learn on. go buy some tabs and teach yourself how to play.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Nope, no steel strings on a classical guitar.

If it is in good shape and not warped you should be able to learn to play on it though. Classical guitar is cool.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
how crappy would it be if i try to play modern works on a classical guitar

KokomoGST

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis

Craptacular

EDIT: in all honesty... don't even try if you value your own ears and the ears of your loved ones.
You could light it on fire with lighter fluid and watch it burn like Hendrix, yeah baby!!!

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: KokomoGST
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis

Craptacular

EDIT: in all honesty... don't even try if you value your own ears and the ears of your loved ones.
You could light it on fire with lighter fluid and watch it burn like Hendrix, yeah baby!!!

k, gotcha ;)

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
There is a lot of stuff the classical guitar can play.

Same as an acoustic....most of rock's early works were on acoustics with pickups added or just a mic.

Many artists today use acoustic/classical guitars with and without pickups.

It really depends on the guitar. Have any information on it or it's size?