W/R Ahman Green (5)
BN Ladell Betts (8)
BN Michael Turner (9)
BN Chad Pennington (11)
BN Mike Furrey (12)
BN Eddie Kennison (15)
BN Maurice Morris (14)
Def minnesota (13)

all TD's are worth 6 pts, pass 25/1 pt, rush and receiving 10/1 pt.
3 pts bonus for 300 pass, 100 rush, 100 receiving

i had the 8th pick in a 12 man redraft. here's to hoping portis/LT hurts themselves and dont play much.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
I like it. The only thing I see that could hurt you is WR depth, especially with Driver and his bum shoulder.

austin316

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
if all touchdowns are worth 6 points, you got an absolute STEAL with Peyton at 8. He should have went #3 after LT and SJ.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: austin316
if all touchdowns are worth 6 points, you got an absolute STEAL with Peyton at 8. He should have went #3 after LT and SJ.

No kidding. What league are you playing in? lol

What were the top 7?

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
That is kinda sadistic wishing for players to get injuries and lose their contracts so you can win in fantasy football lmao

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
For a 12 team league that looks like a strong lineup. Espeically with Manning at the 8th pick. WTF was up with that???

Nice job on cockblocking Morris and Betts. You've got great trade bait potentiall if/when Portis or SA go down.

Just remember not to start the MN Defense against any team that has a halfway decent passing game. :D

TheTony

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2005
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Just remember not to start the MN Defense against any team that has a halfway decent passing game. :D

That knock against their passing defense is a bit of a red herring.

If you look at the numbers, while they allowed the most average passing yards, they also allowed the least passing touchdowns.

If you're in a league that doesn't place primary importance on defensive yardage, I wouldn't worry about it.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001

Manning had 31 passing TD's. That is only 11 better than the #10 QB (Vick @20).

The difference between LT and the #10 RB (Lewis and Jacobs) is 19 TD's.

I'd rather draft a RB in the first 2 rounds and then find a tolerable QB than waste a QB pick in the first round.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Uppsala9496

I'd rather draft a RB in the first 2 rounds and then find a tolerable QB than waste a QB pick in the first round.

How many of those top 10 were left by pick 8? LT obviously wasn't available at #8 and I suspect most of the big TD scoring RB's were not either. The fact that Manning was available at #8 is surprising.

Manning also rushed for 4 TD's and had (6) 300 yard games. Adding to his point total. So the #1 QB is > than the #7-8 RB. Wouldn't you agree??

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: TheTony

If you look at the numbers, while they allowed the most average passing yards, they also allowed the least passing touchdowns.

If you're in a league that doesn't place primary importance on defensive yardage, I wouldn't worry about it.

Well, and the other problem is that their offense can't move the ball to save their lives putting the defense in bad situations.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

Also factor in the number of sacks and INT's. Manning is a very smart, well protected QB. That helps bump his numbers.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
Top 8 - RB difference was 16 TD's (rushing only).
Top 8 - QB difference was 9 TD's (passing only).

My point is that the difference between the top 10 QB's is less than the difference than the top 10 RB"s.
I think you can find a middle road QB later in the draft that will fill the gap better than you can find a middle of the road RB. The running back gap is broader than the quarterback gap.

Elbryn

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2000
Top 8 - RB difference was 16 TD's (rushing only).
Top 8 - QB difference was 9 TD's (passing only).

My point is that the difference between the top 10 QB's is less than the difference than the top 10 RB"s.
I think you can find a middle road QB later in the draft that will fill the gap better than you can find a middle of the road RB. The running back gap is broader than the quarterback gap.

to the point about all tds being 6 points, i think some people were confused and didnt know or didnt check ahead of time. here's who went in the first 7 picks
1- LT, 2- Sjax 3- Alexander 4- LJ 5-Gore 6-Addai 7-FWP
at that point i was looking at ronnie brown, rudi johnson, or brian westbrook. given all things were equal i knew that manning would outscore them by bunch and made the gamble. if i had a top 5 pick i would have taken an rb and then picked palmer or manning either 2nd or 3rd.

heh i'm hoping that the rb shotgun approach will payoff. handcuffing ftw! 8)

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
any fantasy expert will tell you to pick a running back with your first 2 picks.

Elbryn

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2000
Originally posted by: hdeck
any fantasy expert will tell you to pick a running back with your first 2 picks.

so given those choices you would have picked whom? and why?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Elbryn

so given those choices you would have picked whom? and why?

Since Rudi was still available I probably would have went with him. He'll have a heavy workload this year with their first backup Irons out.

The problem with RB's though is that they are the most prone to injury. If you have a safe, reliable bet in the way of Manning land in your lap it's hard not take it.

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004

Not necessarily true anymore. And even the guy that runs Fantasy Guru (magazine, website and show on Sirius), John Hansen, has changed his philosophy on that.

I've been in the same, high rollers league for going on 8 years now. And I can tell you that the "RB's with first two picks" is a bit of a myth. Especially in a keeper league. The guy who won our league last year (and this is a league of guys who aren't pushovers), took Manning in the first round (6th pick), Steve Smith in the 2nd, Reggie Bush in the 3rd and Corey Dillon in the 4th. Reggie had a good year but he won our league primarily because of Manning. Ironically, he beat me in our Super Bowl and I drafted Larry Johnson in the first round and Brian Westbrook in the 2nd. I picked up Hasselbeck in the 4th round and it killed me.

If you pick first, then of course LT is a no-brainer. But if you are in a league where QB's are getting 1 point for 20 yards and 6 points for TD's, then you can definitely make a case for taking someone like Manning as early as 2nd. I also think that LT is a freak of nature and that it's almost unfair to use him as a reference point when talking about parity. No other RB came close to LT. Palmer at least put up comparable numbers to Manning.

And as I said, being in a keeper league makes a huge difference. In my league, guys like McNabb, Brees, Rivers, McNabb, V. Young and Bulger are already off the board. So there isn't much depth at all at QB. I kept Cedric Benson (RB) and Reggie Brown (WR) and I have the 2nd pick next weekend. I'll most certainly be taking Manning and then grabbing 2 more RB's with my 19th and 22nd picks. As good as Steven Jackson is, I can't take him over Peyton with our league's scoring system.

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
I wouldn't have taken Edge in the 2nd round, but you made up for it by getting Jacobs in the 3rd round (who I actually picked in the 2nd in my draft).

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
For the guys that have drafted - where did Adrian Petersen (The *real* one from Oklahoma, not the scrub for the Bears) go in your leagues?

I'm in a keeper league and stacked with RB's (Sitting on LJ, Rudi Johnson, and Brandon Jacobs) but might consider letting Jacobs go for Peterson. I just think Peterson is going to have a HUGE season next year. ('08 season)

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
For the guys that have drafted - where did Adrian Petersen (The *real* one from Oklahoma, not the scrub for the Bears) go in your leagues?

I'm in a keeper league and stacked with RB's (Sitting on LJ, Rudi Johnson, and Brandon Jacobs) but might consider letting Jacobs go for Peterson. I just think Peterson is going to have a HUGE season next year. ('08 season)

Our draft is this coming Sunday but I can tell you that there is a lot of hype on Petersen. Taylor will enter the season as the starter but I think Adrian will take over that job with a few games. Right now, I have Peterson as a high #3 RB and close to becoming a low #2. I'm projecting him to probably go in the mid to late 3rd in our 10 man league. He may go a tad sooner if he continues to look as well as he has in preseason.

Elbryn

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2000
i cant say that i have a ton of confidence in peterson this year especially as a rookie. rarely do rookies in a rbbc do that well. i think if he shows signs they'll give him up to a 50% role because chet taylor was a good back before he wore down. trend now is to rbbc. if its a keeper i'd consider taking him early but i think his prime time is next year

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Why in the world someone would take a QB with their first pick is beyond me. You lost your league with that pick (okay, maybe that statement is slightly extreme :p). To put this into perspective, I had the 13th pick in a 14 team league and ended up with Maroney, Henry, Bulger in that order. The drop off from Manning to Bulger is pretty much non-existent over the course of a season.

TheTony

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2005
Originally posted by: TheTony

Well, and the other problem is that their offense can't move the ball to save their lives putting the defense in bad situations.

My point still stands. Unless you're in a league where defensive yards allowed is scored, you needn't worry.

It's beside my point, but their offense did move the ball last year. It was the red zone offense that lacked. Not that this year's offense is easily comparable - several new receivers, new RB, new QB, improved line. More questions than answers at this point.