YAFFT: Please analyze proposed trade

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
I'm in a 10 man league and currently have a 5-1/5-0 record. My team is as follows:

Hasselbeck/Favre
L. Johnson, Westbrook, C. Taylor, B. Jacobs, C. Benson
Roy Williams, TJ Housh, Coles, Branch, R. Brown (loaded here of course)
Gates/Owens
Gould/Feely
Atlanta/STL

Guy in last place in other division wants to deal me a 2-for-1. He's offering Tomlinson for Westbrook and Housh. Obviously, I can afford to give up Housh. So on paper, it looks like a great move for me by swapping out an injury-hampered Westbrook for Tomlinson. However, the reason I haven't jumped on it is because I have to think long term. My concern is that when our playoffs start (week 13-16 of NFL regular season), will the Chargers rest LT for the playoffs? They have a solid backup in Turner who already takes carries from LT. I just don't want to be in a position where I'm one game away from my Super Bowl or in the Super Bowl only to have LT ride the pine because the Chargers have a birth sewed up.

Thoughts? He's desperate today so I'd have to give an answer soon to make this happen.

chris10

Nov 17, 2005
Don't do it man.

You have 2 great (fantasy-wise) QBs
You are stacked at RB... LJ is a stud, Westbrook when healthy is a top 5 back (I'm a philly fan, he's gonna be fine from Week 8 on), and Minny is giving Chester 20+ carries a game.
You have just a great selection of WRs...and I wouldn't give up Housh because I think he's the best wideout you have- D's have been lockin down on CJ lately and Housh has really benefited
Obviously you're good at TE, same with K, and D

Dude, the bottom line? Don't do it.

You're 5-1..if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And the Chargers may ride the pine. You never know with LT, either.. he can dramatically underperform at times because Ds focus everything on stopping him.

skrilla

Oct 22, 2004
If it were my team I would do it.

I could be wrong but I don't even think the Chargers have made the playoffs the last 4 out of 5 years. You are pretty stacked on recievers already, and on the chance that Tomlinson doesn't play toward the end of the season you could use Chester Taylor. But he is going to play the next 6-7 weeks, and it would be awesome to have both LT and LJ.

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
Damn...don't know what to do. He says I have until 10pm EST tonight to decide or he's offering to someone else. He has now told me he would do Westbrook/Housh OR LJ/Housh. I'd probably rather give up Westbrook due to injury concerns and I think that when Green gets back, LJ's production will pick up.

The "if it aint broke don't fix it" cliche is the main thing holding me back. In recent years, my teams have struggled because of knee-jerk reactions and bad trades. This year, I have yet to make any trades and the only free agent move I made was dropping Tynes for Gould in week 2 which was a great pickup.

But I can't say it's not highly tempting to have LT/LJ in my backfield. I wasn't even starting Housh this week actually (starting Williams/Coles) so he's expendable IMO. It just comes down to LT vs Westbrook.

LeonarD26

Feb 12, 2004
I wouldn't think twice.. take the deal. LT2 is a top 3 pick. Westbrook and Housh are both injury prone. You still have Taylor if LJ or LT gets hurt/bye.

In 2-1 deals, always be the guy that get the single superstar back.

Izzo

May 30, 2003
I cannot fathom why anyone would turn this deal down. LJ and LT both have had their byes, so unless an injury happens, they'll be starting for you the rest of the year. Why would you risk playing Westbrook for the rest of the year? I have him and it's very irritating having to check his status each day to see if he will play. Housh is good, but i think a RB corps of LT and LJ more than make up the difference.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
do it, don't be stupid.

/watches LT break his leg this weekend.

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
I did the LT for Westbrook/Housh trade. Now my roster is one position short so I have to pay $5 to add a free agent. Not sure what to do.

My best options are: add depth to my defense by acquiring either Dallas or Buffalo. Add depth to my QB's by adding Big Ben or Alex Smith (probably Ben if I go this route) or replace the loss of my WR with Bryant Johnson (will never start given my WR depth) or pick up Leon Washington as RB insurance or Buckhalter as insurance in case Westbrook goes down.

Considering the roster in my initial post, what would you guys do? I have to assume I'm making the playoffs at this point so this would be a move that may be of value late in the season or in case of injuries/unfavorable matchups.

jlbenedict

Banned
Jul 10, 2005
Originally posted by: 49erinnc
I did the LT for Westbrook/Housh trade. Now my roster is one position short so I have to pay $5 to add a free agent. Not sure what to do.

My best options are: add depth to my defense by acquiring either Dallas or Buffalo. Add depth to my QB's by adding Big Ben or Alex Smith (probably Ben if I go this route) or replace the loss of my WR with Bryant Johnson (will never start given my WR depth) or pick up Leon Washington as RB insurance or Buckhalter as insurance in case Westbrook goes down.

Considering the roster in my initial post, what would you guys do? I have to assume I'm making the playoffs at this point so this would be a move that may be of value late in the season or in case of injuries/unfavorable matchups.

Bryant Johnson would be a wasted pickup since Fitzgerald will definately be back in the lineup before fantasy playoffs start.

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
Originally posted by: jlbenedict

Bryant Johnson would be a wasted pickup since Fitzgerald will definately be back in the lineup before fantasy playoffs start.

Yeah, that dawned on me after I made my post. I opted to acquire Nate Washington, PITT. I think Ben will get back into true form and Nate's numbers will only get better. I have enough depth at WR that I don't really need him but he may become trade bait or if nothing else, I keep him out of the hands of another owner.