YAEWWT - Yet another existing while white thread. AL pastor wants whites out

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
When does the OP get his medal for being the new White Social Justice Warrior? Such a victim.

When do you trade places with the black man you wish you could be?

Nov 29, 2006
I know that but as others have pointed out I have a certain amount of idealist tendencies which lead me to not see one wrong as acceptable based on numbers.

IF he is a racist homophobe (and no one seems to know what he actually has stood for) Then he's a racist homophobe. His color shouldn't allow for any difference in our attitudes. Likewise, if he's being falsely accused then he's been wronged.

This it the problem i have with a lot of libs and where i differ from them. They prefer to wash these types of things aside as if its not a thing just because of the color of the person skin doing it. They should take it just as seriously as they would if the colors were reversed. Apparently its a numbers game or something.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Fair enough, but you also ignored the rest of my post. I'll ask again:

Does that really justify the thread title? Is being white in Alabama such a burden?

I get it and no I wouldn't have gone there. I'm not going out on a limb and say that on average black is not as well off as the average white in many ways.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
This it the problem i have with a lot of libs and where i differ from them. They prefer to wash these types of things aside as if its not a thing just because of the color of the person skin doing it. They should take it just as seriously as they would if the colors were reversed. Apparently its a numbers game or something.

I really like the parable of the Good Samaritan. Someone was harmed and someone else who was from a group who traditionally hated him responded with kindness and love that had to be paid for. I never thought about which side was the greater of the haters, but the act itself. Likewise there's no excuse if harm be done.

Nov 29, 2006
BS. He used a racist phrase (call a spade a spade) to describe "racist" blacks in a current thread. Full stop. He deserves to have it thrown back in his face while he continues his racist posting on this board.

I have heard that phrase my whole life and never once was it used in a discussion about race. I am not saying its roots may not be from that, but i can guarentee the people who said it had no racial motive behind it. It has always been in the same vein as "walks like a duck" phrase. And that could be ignorance on my part as well as the people i know. Just going off with my own personal dealings with that phrase.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I have heard that phrase my whole life and never once was it used in a discussion about race. I am not saying its roots may not be from that, but i can guarentee the people who said it had no racial motive behind it. It has always been in the same vein as "walks like a duck" phrase. And that could be ignorance on my part as well as the people i know. Just going off with my own personal dealings with that phrase.

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/09/19/224183763/is-it-racist-to-call-a-spade-a-spade

And he used it when speaking about "racist" black people while trying to tu quo que himself out of his own very obvious racism.

Nope, not buying the excuses.

Reactions: Meghan54
Nov 29, 2006

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000

I've used niggardly which has no such baggage and people went nuts on that (not here, we're not that dumb). Sometimes I cry for the loss of vocabulary.

Reactions: feralkid

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I've used niggardly which has no such baggage and people went nuts on that (not here, we're not that dumb). Sometimes I cry for the loss of vocabulary.

My mom had the same problem and even after she told people the etymology of the word niggardly and how it had nothing to do with the racial slur it did not help. It's basically the equivalent of people saying the name Nigeria is racist.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Yes, however "Spade" and "call a spade a spade" has been racist for nearly 100 years, even more so when talking expressly about black people. It's a bell you cannot unring.

Reactions: Meghan54

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I guess i missed the memo on it becoming racist lol Its always been "perfectly innocuous phrase" per your link to me. But now i know. Damn you racist Casanova!!! :p
You know, there was an entire 'thing' about this in Clerks 2, with Porch Monkey.

Hint, you can't take it back.

Nov 29, 2006
My mom had the same problem and even after she told people the etymology of the word niggardly and how it had nothing to do with the racial slur it did not help. It's basically the equivalent of people saying the name Nigeria is racist.

I'm going to now. RACIST!! That is the sucky part about people making up their own new meanings behind words :)

Nov 29, 2006
You know, there was an entire 'thing' about this in Clerks 2, with Porch Monkey.

Hint, you can't take it back.

Well i had heard of that phrase before and its racial meaning. I was unaware "call a spade a spade" had become racist over time. I cant know everything lol

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Well i had heard of that phrase before and its racial meaning. I was unaware "call a spade a spade" had become racist over time. I cant know everything lol
Probably not, but it's not a bad idea to be humble about it when you discover you're wrong, rather than doubling down and trying to argue more.

Nov 29, 2006
Probably not, but it's not a bad idea to be humble about it when you discover you're wrong, rather than doubling down and trying to argue more.

I admitted i was wrong. Ive always done that on this board. In fact i wish more people would do it when they learn something new that goes against what they thought they knew.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Yes, however "Spade" and "call a spade a spade" has been racist for nearly 100 years, even more so when talking expressly about black people. It's a bell you cannot unring.

I understand, no argument., but I confess I long for the little things like competence in literacy.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I admitted i was wrong. Ive always done that on this board. In fact i wish more people would do it when they learn something new that goes against what they thought they knew.
but i can guarentee the people who said it had no racial motive behind it.
Just going off with my own personal dealings with that phrase.
This is you arguing, rather than saying 'well, shit, my bad. Apparently I don't know as much about other cultures, or even my own culture's past, as I thought I did.'

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013

A quick google search and I found this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_a_spade_a_spade

The ultimate source of this idiom is a phrase in Plutarch's Apophthegmata Laconica:'τὴν σκάφην σκάφην λέγοντας (tēn skaphēn skaphēn legontas).[6] The word σκαφη (skaphe) means "basin, or trough."[7] Lucian De Hist. Conscr. (41) has τα συκα συκα, την σκαφην δε σκαφην ονομασων (ta suka suka, ten skaphen de skaphen onomason),[8] "calling a fig a fig, and a trough a trough".

Erasmus translated Plutarch's σκαφην (skaphe), as if from σπάθη (spáthe), as ligo "shovel" in his Apophthegmatum opus. Gandhi Lakshmi speculates that the introduction of the word "shovel" may have been a conscious, dramatic choice rather than a mistranslation.[9]

The phrase was introduced to English in 1542 in Nicolas Udall's translation of Erasmus' work, Apophthegmes, that is to saie, prompte saiynges. First gathered by Erasmus, as follows:[9]

And this is at the end.

The phrase predates the use of the word "spade" as an ethnic slur against African Americans,[9] which was not recorded until 1928; however, in contemporary U.S. society, the idiom is often avoided due to potential confusion with the slur.[16]

So, it sure looks like it has nothing to do with race. That is true for everyone except dumb people that assume anything that sounds racist is racist. The phrase predates the racist term "Spade" by about 400 years, but, to Amused is now for sure racist.

Nov 29, 2006
This is you arguing, rather than saying 'well, shit, my bad. Apparently I don't know as much about other cultures, or even my own culture's past, as I thought I did.'

I wasnt arguing the point, i was just stating my dealings with the phrase and how it wasnt used in a racist way. And i did admit it in this post below.

I guess i missed the memo on it becoming racist lol Its always been "perfectly innocuous phrase" per your link to me. But now i know. Damn you racist Casanova!!! :p

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I understand, no argument., but I confess I long for the little things like competence in literacy.

People who were very literate started using "Spade" as code for black nearly 100 years ago. This isn't a word that is misunderstood and mistaken as something racist. This is something that was deliberately turned into something racist. To compare this to "niggardly" is false equivalency. The two have no comparison.

Nov 29, 2006
So, it sure looks like it has nothing to do with race. That is true for everyone except dumb people that assume anything that sounds racist is racist. The phrase predates the racist term "Spade" by about 400 years, but, to Amused is now for sure racist.

You should read Amused NPC article he linked. It was an innocent phrase before. Apparently its not now.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
A quick google search and I found this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_a_spade_a_spade

And this is at the end.

That's a nice cherry you've picked there. Too bad the rest of the story is how "Spade" and "Call a spade a spade" was deliberately turned into racist code for black people nearly 100 years ago. You missed those cherries while you were picking. I've already posted the link many times that explains this from an unbiased source.

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/09/19/224183763/is-it-racist-to-call-a-spade-a-spade

Fail.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Are white people going to be okay? Should we start a GoFundMe or something?