YAEWBT - Yet another existing while black thread. Modified to all purpose harassment

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Reactions: DarthKyrie

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Although the victims and LEOs seem to generally agree racism didn't play a part in the response, it played a part in the phone call from the neighbor IMO.

That could've ended much worse
White people calling police on black people for no reason. Just another day in America.

This was the very thing many of us were shouting loudly when the Central Park Karen threatened to call police on a black man which could have led to harm. That was a direct threat to his life.

As far as no harm this incident will leave a permanent scar on that 15 year old for the rest of his life. Why would he ever trust police again? Why wouldn't that attitude be passed down to his descendants.

Why shouldn't that white woman be subject to questioning by the relator and his son, why did we look so threatening to you? Why did you assume black people are automatically committing crimes?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
White people calling police on black people for no reason. Just another day in America.

This was the very thing many of us were shouting loudly when the Central Park Karen threatened to call police on a black man which could have led to harm. That was a direct threat to his life.

As far as no harm this incident will leave a permanent scar on that 15 year old for the rest of his life. Why would he ever trust police again? Why wouldn't that attitude be passed down to his descendants.

Why shouldn't that white woman be subject to questioning by the relator and his son, why did we look so threatening to you? Why did you assume black people are automatically committing crimes?

I agree that the neighbor should be addressed. I don't know what the 15 YO and his dad discussed or their view.

Surely you agree that no deaths, no scars, and no charges was an optimal scenario.

This is not to excuse the neighbor, that person was obviously in the wrong to assume a crime was happening just because they're black.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Although the victims and LEOs seem to generally agree racism didn't play a part in the response, it played a part in the phone call from the neighbor IMO.

That could've ended much worse
Calling the police on showings is a known tactic sometimes used to discourage black homebuyers from white neighborhoods. Note that the prospective buyer will not be buying that house now. For whomever made the fraudulent call to the police, that's mission accomplished.
I'd also like to point out that the police knew the home was listed for sale and should have known to contact the listing agent to verify the electronic lockbox records prior to making any arrests.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
WTF Texas? You want to wrestle that trophy away from Alabama or Mississippi?

Black principal calls out racism after he was told to remove photo kissing white wife.

He said it all began when he was about to be appointed principal of the middle school in 2019, and received a call in the evening from a central level administrator, asking him to check his email. When he opened the forwarded message, he was bewildered to find that it was a photo of him and his wife kissing on the beach with a statement that read, “Is this the Dr. Whitfield we want as an example for our students?”

“I showed my wife and I could tell she was already getting upset – tears were welling up,” he wrote in the post. “But I was still awaiting the callback.”

That was just the start. The district/board started accusing him of teaching CRT.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
WTF Texas? You want to wrestle that trophy away from Alabama or Mississippi?

Black principal calls out racism after he was told to remove photo kissing white wife.

He said it all began when he was about to be appointed principal of the middle school in 2019, and received a call in the evening from a central level administrator, asking him to check his email. When he opened the forwarded message, he was bewildered to find that it was a photo of him and his wife kissing on the beach with a statement that read, “Is this the Dr. Whitfield we want as an example for our students?”

“I showed my wife and I could tell she was already getting upset – tears were welling up,” he wrote in the post. “But I was still awaiting the callback.”

That was just the start. The district/board started accusing him of teaching CRT.
but...but...racism doesn't hinder black people's upward mobility

Feb 4, 2009

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Kid is a young adult to my understanding however I get the point.
I have had Police show up and ask who I am or what I’m doing there but typically that was all certainly nobody got cuffed.
If that was all that happened it would be fine.

I still say the woman called the cops on them because they are black. She wouldn't have thought twice about a white relator.

Remember when a white woman called the police on Bob Marley's family when they were checking out of an Airbnb? Police didn't rollup with guns drawn. The fact the report indicated these cops did nothing wrong shows me the fix is in.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Calling the police on showings is a known tactic sometimes used to discourage black homebuyers from white neighborhoods. Note that the prospective buyer will not be buying that house now. For whomever made the fraudulent call to the police, that's mission accomplished.

That's pretty terrible.

I'd also like to point out that the police knew the home was listed for sale and should have known to contact the listing agent to verify the electronic lockbox records prior to making any arrests.

Unless I'm mistaken, the article doesn't say they were arrested.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
That's pretty terrible.
Unless I'm mistaken, the article doesn't say they were arrested.
Handcuffed at gunpoint, and taken into custody in back of cop car, at which point I'd consider it an arrest, although not sure of "legal" definition. Ultimately released before being taken to jail.

I'd consider the handcuffing to be an arrest, although legally police may try to argue otherwise.

Separately, why in the world did the police have guns drawn at any point in this incident? What exactly was on the 911 call to have the police come out with guns drawn ready to shoot? Either terrible judgement by the police, or criminal SWATing-like call by the neighbor to exaggerate the threat.

It would have been far more appropriate to draw guns, handcuff & arrest the neighbor that made the phone call... (not to say that would be appropriate either, but far more reasonable to arrest the person that unreasonably put lives at risk).

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Handcuffing is clear and cut not being arrested - that is being detained.

Not saying they should have been, but they clearly were not arrested, only detained while the police did their investigation and were on their way after.

Reactions: nakedfrog
Feb 4, 2009
Handcuffed at gunpoint, and taken into custody in back of cop car, at which point I'd consider it an arrest, although not sure of "legal" definition. Ultimately released before being taken to jail.

I'd consider the handcuffing to be an arrest, although legally police may try to argue otherwise.

Separately, why in the world did the police have guns drawn at any point in this incident? What exactly was on the 911 call to have the police come out with guns drawn ready to shoot? Either terrible judgement by the police, or criminal SWATing-like call by the neighbor to exaggerate the threat.

It would have been far more appropriate to draw guns, handcuff & arrest the neighbor that made the phone call... (not to say that would be appropriate either, but far more reasonable to arrest the person that unreasonably put lives at risk).

On topic but off topic. Cuffs are tricky.
Long time ago I saw an episode of COPs.
For the younger it was a fox show where cameramen would follow a cop around. No shooting stuff but real life events and arrests.
This episode cop pulled over some guys for some safety thing which I forgot. May have been a large unsecured pole hanging out back of the car unsecured but it was something like that.
Cop walks up to the car and dude inside was acting really strange, kept getting out like he was going to run, shaking his head just acting really strange.
Cop says to him “I want to put cuffs on you for your safety and my safety” “I am not arresting you, I’ll let go once I look in your car”
At this point it was obvious dude was not born here and he agreed.
Cop cuffed him, did his stuff. Spoke to the guy about securing the board (I think) and I think he gave him some rope to do it. Then let the dude go.
Memory is vague about this incident but I believe another cop who showed up said the dude came from a place where when the police arrest you you’ll never see home again.
Obviously in a case like that it is appropriate to cuff a dude. Simply safer for everyone involved and yes I doubt this scenario happened with the realtor and buyer.
Just pointing out there are valid reasons to restrain someone without arresting them.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016