YAEWBT - Yet another existing while black thread. Modified to all purpose harassment

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
not quite the same but it is in a similar vein

never seems that white graveyards get forgotten and this wasn't soo long ago, open in 1942 and sold to the school district in 1959

The Tampa Bay Times started this effort recently to find forgotten black cemeteries in the Tampa Bay area. They have had several extensive investigative articles and continue to investigate to find more. I believe they found several more.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Package delivery while black is a thing too apparently.

Another scared older white woman. Looks like he was helping another UPS guy delivering packages in the neighborhood. The UPS truck and the other UPS guy were probably right down the street. If he was white she would not have given it a second thought. It could have turned out worse if she had called the police first. They probably would have responded with a SWAT team or at least a couple of units with guns drawn.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Another scared older white woman. Looks like he was helping another UPS guy delivering packages in the neighborhood. The UPS truck and the other UPS guy were probably right down the street. If he was white she would not have given it a second thought. It could have turned out worse if she had called the police first. They probably would have responded with a SWAT team or at least a couple of units with guns drawn.

Not to defend this goofy woman, but I think it's important not to project. She might have harassed a white person just the same & your bit about the cops is over the top.

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
Hope they find her ass and then she learns her lesson.
if DUI can get years in jail, racist POS should also face financial penalties and hopefully incarceration

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Not to defend this goofy woman, but I think it's important not to project. She might have harassed a white person just the same & your bit about the cops is over the top.

I firmly believe race was the key factor. He was black and wearing a hoodie jacket. It's highly unlikely to have happened if this UPS guy was white.

Yes, I was over the top about the cops response had they been called. That type of situation seems to be happening more often these days.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Only in America. Sad and funny.
A black man received a settlement in a race discrimination lawsuit. When he tried to cash the check, the bank called the cops, prompting a second racial discrimination case.

Feb 4, 2009
A black man received a settlement in a race discrimination lawsuit. When he tried to cash the check, the bank called the cops, prompting a second racial discrimination case.

I hate to laugh but I have to
Haha!

• Love
Reactions: DarthKyrie

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

Yet he did not as of yet receive a settlement from TFC!! So old news.....

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I want to see how the suit against the bank turns out. They claim the three checks had a watermark that said VOID. Seems like the entire case pivots on the truth of that statement. That a second bank accepted them doesn't bode well for the first one.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I want to see how the suit against the bank turns out. They claim the three checks had a watermark that said VOID. Seems like the entire case pivots on the truth of that statement. That a second bank accepted them doesn't bode well for the first one.
What doesn't bode well for the first bank is the failure to do the following.

Approach the customer and tell him we see a watermark. If you want the check cashed we need to contact the issuing bank for verification.

Instead he got...

see black, call cops

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
What doesn't bode well for the first bank is the failure to do the following.

Approach the customer and tell him we see a watermark. If you want the check cashed we need to contact the issuing bank for verification.

Instead he got...

see black, call cops
Excellent point. They would then need to also prove that police involvement was SOP. That seems unlikely.
They could also put a hold on the funds, my bank does that to me with depressing regularity.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
What they claim has no bearing and here is why -- Thomas said the checks were real, and he was able to deposit them at a Chase Bank hours later. FTW!!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
What they claim as no bearing and here is why -- Thomas said the checks were real, and he was able to deposit them at a Chase Bank hours later. FTW!!

Nov 8, 2012

Yup. If what the bank says is true, then I see no wrong-doing or racist efforts from the bank.

Especially knowing how dumb clerks at a bank are... AND how automated our banking is these days, if the system/scanning tool detected a fraudulent check then it's as simple as that. How can software that scans checks be racist?

He said that when staff evaluated the checks on a computer, they found a watermark that read "VOID," and wanted to confirm the checks were valid through a police investigation. In emails between police and Gordon seen by the Free Press, a police officer said the checks were deemed fraudulent by the bank's computer, and that the checks looked different from Enterprise's payroll checks.

Anyhow, I'm sure there is more to this story - and if I would question anything about the bank's behavior it would be if calling the cops is something you should do if a check isn't accepted by their software? I mean, I agree - someone committing fraud via check is grounds for the cops, but maybe after a manager review or something first? Otherwise if someone has fraudulent checks, what stops them from just going door to door to every bank until one of them accepts the checks?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
They could also put a hold on the funds, my bank does that to me with depressing regularity.

This happens with essentially any large deposit I make at my bank and I've been a customer for 15 years, have loans/credit cards from them, and keep considerable balances in several accounts. A week long hold is not uncommon.

TCF obviously knew exactly who he was since he was a customer for two years and surely identified the account for the funds to be deposited in. If the check looked sketchy then just place a hold on it until it's verified. Sure seems like they just saw a black guy with a big check and came to some extremely poor conclusions.

ShookKnight

Dec 12, 2019
This country took up, reinforced and operates an Institution of Racism.

The police target people of color. Our criminal system has more wrongly convicted people of color than whites. And white women just can't stop calling the police on black people.

It started with the slave trade. We then went into a culture of ingrained and systemic racism towards people of color.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Yup. If what the bank says is true, then I see no wrong-doing or racist efforts from the bank.

Especially knowing how dumb clerks at a bank are... AND how automated our banking is these days, if the system/scanning tool detected a fraudulent check then it's as simple as that. How can software that scans checks be racist?

Anyhow, I'm sure there is more to this story - and if I would question anything about the bank's behavior it would be if calling the cops is something you should do if a check isn't accepted by their software? I mean, I agree - someone committing fraud via check is grounds for the cops, but maybe after a manager review or something first? Otherwise if someone has fraudulent checks, what stops them from just going door to door to every bank until one of them accepts the checks?
What they claim as no bearing and here is why -- Thomas said the checks were real, and he was able to deposit them at a Chase Bank hours later. FTW!!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
This happens with essentially any large deposit I make at my bank and I've been a customer for 15 years, have loans/credit cards from them, and keep considerable balances in several accounts. A week long hold is not uncommon.

TCF obviously knew exactly who he was since he was a customer for two years and surely identified the account for the funds to be deposited in. If the check looked sketchy then just place a hold on it until it's verified. Sure seems like they just saw a black guy with a big check and came to some extremely poor conclusions.

Nov 8, 2012

You do realize posting the same thing has no bearing on whether or not something is a valid argument or not, right?

Software isn't designed to be coded to say

"IF DEPOSITOR = 'BLACK' OR 'HISPANIC'
THEN RETURN FRAUD;

ELSE DEPOSITCHECK
ENDIF"

Last edited: