YAEWBT - Yet another existing while black thread. Modified to all purpose harassment

Page 28 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Clearly the police never have anything to fear when they arrive at a residence that had a security alarm go off, discover a man in his underwear who initially only questions or argues their commands, and who has a gun. People on drugged out of their gourd would never break into a house in their underwear.

I’m amazed they didn’t immediately put away their guns and ask the man to color or bake cookies together!!!!
Answer me this, would this happen to a white man?

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Answer me this, would this happen to a white man?

Answer me this, if we only changed the person's skin color, he said the exact same things and acted in the exact same way, why do you think it wouldn't? And if the officer would have behaved radically different why would that be?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Clearly the police never have anything to fear when they arrive at a residence that had a security alarm go off, discover a man in his underwear who initially only questions or argues their commands, and who has a gun. People on drugged out of their gourd would never break into a house in their underwear.

I’m amazed they didn’t immediately put away their guns and ask the man to color or bake cookies together!!!!
Any part of your brain conclude police could have cuffed him and remain in the house while asking for proof instead of perp walking him almost nude in front of neighbors?

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Any part of your brain conclude police could have cuffed him and remain in the house while asking for proof instead of perp walking him almost nude in front of neighbors?

That is exactly what I said in my first post. Cops handled the situation poorly. Rather than immediately tell the guy to get on his knees so they could cuff him, they should have asked who he was and then for ID when he said he lived there. The cop had a gun trained on a man in his underwear and he already dropped his weapon. The other officer made it worse by ordering him to be drug outside and put in a cop car.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Seems to be a common refrain used to minimize the huge disparity in how people of color are treated in their interactions with police...
Also "a few bad apples". To date I piss my pants when walking through produce section in the grocery store.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Yes. Plenty of white men are shot every year. Just not as many as black victims.
No it would not happen to a white man!! The police would ask him for his ID and they would see he lives in that house and they would say Good Night and that would be all!!

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
How the hell can you be "loitering" in front of your own home?!

Maybe it was a public area (sidewalk, etc.) located in front of the home they reside in? I had the same question reading the article, and was kind of disappointed the reporter didn’t include information that it was their actual property, or not their property but located in front of it.

And that’s not to say I agree with the arrests if it wasn’t their actual property, as I think loitering charges in general are an easy way to harass folks.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2013
Maybe it was a public area (sidewalk, etc.) located in front of the home they reside in? I had the same question reading the article, and was kind of disappointed the reporter didn’t include information that it was their actual property, or not their property but located in front of it.

And that’s not to say I agree with the arrests if it wasn’t their actual property, as I think loitering charges in general are an easy way to harass folks.

From the article:

It's been a little more than a week since everything happened, but Rachel Briggs is still shaken up by the ordeal that took place on her lawn.

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
From the article:

It's been a little more than a week since everything happened, but Rachel Briggs is still shaken up by the ordeal that took place on her lawn.

Again, she says “her lawn,” but from the video there is a sidewalk and grass between there and the street. That is where she is in the beginning of the video.

They may consider it their lawn, but it might not actually be *legally* theirs. I grew up on a similar setup, and though I had to cut that strip of grass (and shovel the sidewalk) many, many times, it wasn’t actually ours. The sidewalk and grass beyond it was actually public property. As far as I know that can vary by state/township though.

A simple sentence or two to clarify that isn’t much to ask.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Again, she says “her lawn,” but from the video there is a sidewalk and grass between there and the street. That is where she is in the beginning of the video.

They may consider it their lawn, but it might not actually be *legally* theirs. I grew up on a similar setup, and though I had to cut that strip of grass (and shovel the sidewalk) many, many times, it wasn’t actually ours. The sidewalk and grass beyond it was actually public property. As far as I know that can vary by state/township though.

A simple sentence or two to clarify that isn’t much to ask.

The other article VG posted says one of them was pulled off their own porch, while another was tased. Nothing I've seen indicated this happened on public property.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
WOW, black folk can't even be outside of their own home without being harassed, this shit has got to stop.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Arrested for loitering ... in their own front yard (twice):

Where the fuck is the Dallas sniper when they need him?

You cannot endorse, even rhetorically, shooting police.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
The other article VG posted says one of them was pulled off their own porch, while another was tased. Nothing I've seen indicated this happened on public property.

There’s actually video of someone coming over a railing towards the end of the news video. So, I’m not sure how they justified (or tried to) that person’s arrests, unless they make some sort of *claim* that they already had cause to arrest and they stepped onto the porch, just before the video catches that. But even there, it’s ridiculous to drag someone over a railing and risk significant injury for a petty charge. It’s just not worth it.

Two other things I caught from that :

1 The sidewalk and the area between the sidewalk and street, makes up 1/3 or more of the distance between their front porch and the street. It’s really tiny front yard, and anyone off of the porch can’t take more than a few steps without being on or past the sidewalk. To enforce a loitering ordinance in such a setup is bullshit, unless they are physically blocking other people from getting past.

2. One of the arrests in that same video, you can see the officer point to the house and say “your sister lives there, not here” before pointing down to the sidewalk. So it looks like they might be trying to claim they can enforce loitering there.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Where the fuck is the Dallas sniper when they need him?

You cannot endorse, even rhetorically, shooting police.

Perknose
Forum Director

Real cops don't do things like that.

It's never any fun, when the rabbit gets the gun..

Just sayin'..

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
Article is from Philadelphia, which is a short ride from Chester. It appears that under the same state laws, at least part of the encounter could have been on public, not private property, but at a minimum occurred on a public easement. Some parts of the Philly it's homeowners with easement, others it’s public property.

“In other parts of town, including many of the row home neighborhoods, the property line ends where the sidewalk begins. However, city laws still require those property owners to maintain of the sidewalk and curb.“

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Reactions: DarthKyrie