YAEWBT - Yet another existing while black thread. Modified to all purpose harassment

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Cliff notes version. Black Yale grad student takes a nap on school grounds after studying. White student enters the room, says black student can't sleep here and she will call police. Black student questioned by police and records encounter. Black student forced to "justify her existence" to police before being told she was free to go.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/09/us/yale-student-napping-black-trnd/index.html

Modified thread to reflect the normalizing harassment of blacks and people of color in this country

Last edited:
Reactions: Lezunto

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
Cliff notes version. Black Yale grad student takes a nap on school grounds after studying. White student enters the room, says black student can't sleep here and she will call police. Black student questioned by police and records encounter. Black student forced to "justify her existence" to police before being told she was free to go.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/09/us/yale-student-napping-black-trnd/index.html

Nope.... Not even close to actual Cliff Notes.

Police received a call about a person possibly being somewhere they shouldn't have been, (less than two weeks after other students were threatened with a gun by someone posing as a Yale employee elsewhere on campus) so they asked for the person to show ID. They checked and found that the ID produced DID NOT MATCH with a list of currently enrolled students, so police investigated further. It turned out that the student used a name other than her actual legal name on ID and police informed (some sources say admonished) the reporting party that the person in question had every right to be where they were.

Reporting party possibly an idiot (or worse), but in the "See something, say something," world of campus safety, police had little choice but to investigate the report and verify identity.

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
"The delay with verifying Siyonbola's ID was because the name on her card was her preferred name, which did not exactly match her name in university records, Peart said."I

Edit also: After confirming Siyonbola was indeed a student, the officers then went to the other student's room and told her that Siyonbola "had every right to be there," Higgins said. The officers explained to the caller that "this was not a police matter," and that they were reporting the incident to the dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Higgins said.

Source: Yale officers admonished the white student who called police on a napping black student - CNN https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/10/us/yale-student-nap-black-police-trnd/index.html

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Nope.... Not even close to actual Cliff Notes.

Police received a call about a person possibly being somewhere they shouldn't have been, (less than two weeks after other students were threatened with a gun by someone posing as a Yale employee elsewhere on campus) so they asked for the person to show ID. They checked and found that the ID produced DID NOT MATCH with a list of currently enrolled students, so police investigated further. It turned out that the student used a name other than her actual legal name on ID and police informed (some sources say admonished) the reporting party that the person in question had every right to be where they were.

Reporting party possibly an idiot (or worse), but in the "See something, say something," world of campus safety, police had little choice but to investigate the report and verify identity.

Nope not even close to the full story.

https://www.theroot.com/a-black-yale-student-took-a-nap-in-a-dorm-common-room-1825893057
White student who called the cops had previously done so.

Updated: Thursday, May 10, 2018, 8:20 a.m. EDT: The Yale Daily News has identified the white grad student who called the cops on a black classmate as Sarah Braasch.

The campus paper also sheds more light on an earlier incident when Braasch called campus police on the same classmate, Lolade Siyonbola, and another black grad student, Jean-Louis Reneson.

In a complaint submitted to campus administrators in March by Reneson and Siyonbola, the students describe organizing a small group to meet in a Hall of Graduate Studies common room. According to the complaint, Reneson got lost in the HGS building and was physically blocked by Braasch from entering the common room after he asked her for directions.

When Reneson told Braasch he was a Yale student trying to meet up with his group, she accused of him of being an intruder, telling him that he “didn’t belong [there]” and was making her “uncomfortable.”

Braasch eventually left the area and Reneson met up with his group, only to have four campus police officers show up because someone had reported a “suspicious character” on their floor.

According to the complaint, once Reneson established that he was a Yale student, the police left.

Braasch is a philosophy Ph.D. candidate who has studied gender and law, according to Yale’s website, and who has expressed civil rights and human rights as interests in her LinkedIn profile. Braasch has not responded to The Root’s request for comment.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

https://www.theroot.com/a-black-yale-student-took-a-nap-in-a-dorm-common-room-1825893057

Don't ya love it when a sleeper account starts posting?

ezgif_4_71f206d745.gif

Can't put out that lying fire in their belly so they got to puke it up.

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005

Nowhere did I claim to have the full story.

If you were paying attention, you would have noticed that I was pointing out inconsistent information from their original source showing that their summary did not reflect the information reported.

And I guess I was a bit subtle in pointing the headline they conveniently chose to admit, about the police "admonishing," the original party for reporting it.

And the fact that after investigation, they actually reported the original caller to the Dean for the inaccurate,( or as it looks now) possibly malicious report.

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
And

ezgif_4_71f206d745.gif

Not really sure what "lying fire" you're referring to.. Can you point out any inaccurate information in either of my posts?

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

ezgif_4_71f206d745.gif

Lol!

In the comments of that article they found some other weird stuff on a blog by a woman with the same name and background. I’m not going to directly link because it’s not definitive that the stuff found was by the same woman, but l’ll summarize.

• Got her first degree in Engineering back in 1997 - still in school.....
  • Militant Feminists and Secularist (dialed back not things I normally have a problem with) - in this case said she felt assaulted when she saw two Muslim women in burquas walking across campus due to the implicit misogyny
  • Member of a French metoo group while studying abroad.
  • After writing antimuslim stuff and being threatened with hate speech said bring it on as she has nothing or no one after her brother died
Basically comes across as an asshole.

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
So, because someone "comes across as an asshole," should police not go out and investigate if they receive a report of a possible crime or danger?

Or, should they go out, investigate, and then report said false calls to Yale administration to remove the reporting party?

You know, like they did?

I'm not supporting the initial report, in fact I said they were "possibly an idiot (or worse)."

But the OP made it seem as though the police were complicit in this.

Lol!

In the comments of that article they found some other weird stuff on a blog by a woman with the same name and background. I’m not going to directly link because it’s not definitive that the stuff found was by the same woman, but l’ll summarize.

• Got her first degree in Engineering back in 1997 - still in school.....
  • Militant Feminists and Secularist (dialed back not things I normally have a problem with) - in this case said she felt assaulted when she saw two Muslim women in burquas walking across campus due to the implicit misogyny
  • Member of a French metoo group while studying abroad.
  • After writing antimuslim stuff and being threatened with hate speech said bring it on as she has nothing or no one after her brother died
Basically comes across as an asshole.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Why is the name of the student who called the cops being witheld? Seems like she is on video, so why is the news media not following up? It seems like these stories are framed as black people versus the cops, while whites who initiate these incidents are sheltered by the media, never confronted and asked to explain themselves.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Why is the name of the student who called the cops being witheld? Seems like she is on video, so why is the news media not following up? It seems like these stories are framed as black people versus the cops, while whites who initiate these incidents are sheltered by the media, never confronted and asked to explain themselves.

#dontruintheirlives /s

Reactions: Starbuck1975

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
At what point did the white student or called the police have to prove she is a student??

Answer, she didn't. Everyone just took her word.

Proof? Again according to the article posted, her name was taken and reported to her Dean.... So, yeah they did identify her as a student.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

I linked to a report of her name by the campus newspaper.....

Sarah Braasch

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005

In this case? It looks like it's happening.

In many others? Because anonymous reports are still investigated, and it's not exactly hard to give a fake name over the phone to make the initial complaint.

And prosecutors are notoriously averse to filing charges for 911 abuse without clear evidence they were intentionally and knowingly making a false call. It's a separate thing entirely than signing your name to a false report (that usually includes a perjury type warning)

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Proof? Again according to the article posted, her name was taken and reported to her Dean.... So, yeah they did identify her as a student.
That occurred after the black student was harassed and they verified she was a student. During the initial investigation why didn't police verify both people were students up front?

Let's assume the black woman wasn't a student police would not have even gone back to the white student to verify her status.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
It sounds like they are in the same dorm building, maybe the same floor, and they know each other and have history. I would not be surprised if the white student is a white supremacist since this is not the first time she has reported black students to police for being in that common area which appears to be near her dorm room.

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2018...-student-reported-for-napping-in-common-room/
According to Siyonbola and Jean-Louis Reneson GRD ’19, another black graduate student, this is not the first time Braasch has called the police to HGS.

In March, Reneson and Siyonbola submitted a complaint about a separate incident to Associate Dean for Graduate Student Development and Diversity Michelle Nearon. According to a copy of the complaint Reneson provided to the News, the incident began when Siyonbola invited several colleagues, including Reneson, to a meeting in the HGS common room on February 24. Reneson, lost in HGS, was physically blocked by Braasch from entering the common room after he asked her for directions, the complaint read.

Reneson told the News that Braasch did not appear to believe that he was a Yale student trying to enter the HGS common room for a meeting, and instead accused him of being an intruder.

“Feeling ignored, I went down to the base of the twelfth floor and eleventh floor and turned my back, but she continued to verbally assault me from the twelfth floor claiming that I ‘didn’t belong here’ and I was making her ‘uncomfortable,’” Reneson said.

Reneson said that Braasch then left the area, and Siyonbola subsequently showed up to begin the meeting. But, according to the complaint, four police officers then showed up in HGS to inspect a “suspicious character” on the twelfth floor. According to the complaint, shortly after establishing that Reneson was a Yale student invited by Siyonbola for a meeting in HGS, the police left.

Edit:
Sounds like she's very smart but maybe a little nuts?
http://www.citypages.com/news/ah-sh...ing-black-student-is-from-minnesota/482373941

https://philosophy.yale.edu/people/sarah-braasch

Last edited:

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Black student questioned by police and records encounter. Black student forced to "justify her existence" to police before being told she was free to go.

I travel to a lot of college campuses for work and have been "forced to justify my existence" by police several times. This frequently occurs in dorms or research buildings where my ID is checked against a list and life moves on assuming I am on the list at hand. Sometimes the list of allowed vendors is not as easily accessible as students\staff so my wait is slightly longer. These interactions have increased in the last couple of years and seem to do so along side the campus initiatives for students to call the police if they notice something out of the ordinary. These go by different names "Not in my dorm", "Safe Campus" and the venerable "See something, say something" but all bombard students with messages that to avoid being raped\assaulted\robbed they should report anything or anyone out of place to the police immediately. In many instances the 'out of place' is explained to include a stranger or even someone known but who typically would not be in an area at a certain time. To emphasize the last point I had campus police called on me by someone who knew I should be there but "I was there much later than I should have been".

So from the police side of things it sounds like a well handled encounter given that they admonished the caller.

The person who called the police seems has issues though assuming the additional information is true.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Police handled the situation correctly. The white student is a bitch. I think that's the start and end of the story.

Is making this national news race baiting? Hard to say.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Police handled the situation correctly. The white student is a bitch. I think that's the start and end of the story.

Is making this national news race baiting? Hard to say.
Seems like police should have taken the ID from everyone involved. Why did the police assume the white girl was a student?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Seems like police should have taken the ID from everyone involved. Why did the police assume the white girl was a student?

Perhaps they did when they admonished her? That information is left out / unconfirmed. Is there interaction with her recorded? I did not watch the video.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Perhaps they did when they admonished her? That information is left out / unconfirmed. Is there interaction with her recorded? I did not watch the video.
You need to watch the video. Puts the story in context

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
You need to watch the video. Puts the story in context

The video in the CNN article does not show the entire encounter so it is impossible to determine from that if the police assumed she was a student or if she was asked for ID. What source are you using to justify your claim?