YAEWBT - Yet another existing while black thread. Modified to all purpose harassment

Page 71 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

No need to quibble, just go to the source. If you don’t think it exists, then you’ll use words like believe because that assists with your denial.

the quantity, frequency, and overt actions that we can see being reported, combine with rhetoric from half of the population is evidence that make the case.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Your own story proves systemic

To summarize the existing literature, discrimination by individual sellers, landlords, and real estate agents appears to have declined and is now relatively rare, though still detectable in audit studies.

Even in the case lenders and neighborhood composition, they only estimated 23% difference after adjustment. They claim they account for all the non-race variance with their 23 control variables for structural characteristics of the home and the neighborhood amenities, but the only variable I saw close to IQ was 4th-8th grade proficiency scores.

“These structural and neighborhood characteristics explain some of the value penalty to housing in Black neighborhoods, which shrinks to 23% from 55% after adjusting for these factors.”

Amusingly, depends on how you you look at it too if it's true -- there's a discount if people pick the neighborhoods with high percentage of black households.

Mar 11, 2004

To summarize the existing literature, discrimination by individual sellers, landlords, and real estate agents appears to have declined and is now relatively rare, though still detectable in audit studies.

Even in the case lenders and neighborhood composition, they only estimated 23% difference after adjustment. They claim they account for all the non-race variance with their 23 control variables for structural characteristics of the home and the neighborhood amenities, but the only variable I saw close to IQ was 4th-8th grade proficiency scores.

“These structural and neighborhood characteristics explain some of the value penalty to housing in Black neighborhoods, which shrinks to 23% from 55% after adjusting for these factors.”

Amusingly, depends on how you you look at it too if it's true -- there's a discount if people pick the neighborhoods with high percentage of black households.

No joke, you know that's how gentrification works, right? While that might be "amusing" to you, its pretty fucked up.

Plus, I hope you're not using that as an argument against systemic racism, because that explicitly supports it, as even after normalizing for other factors it still accounts for nearly a 25% difference. I don't know about you, but when speaking about houses, 25% is quite a lot. Would you for instance be ok with your house losing $50k-125k (for $200-500k house)? And keep in mind, the black home owner is gonna be on the hook for that extra amount, whilst they basically can't recoup the cost should that happen to them, they're essentially stuck.

The issue is two fold. Black family buys house in neighborhood and likely has to pay more for it (via higher interest rates, BS fees, larger down payment required, etc) due to systemic discrimination in banking/loan industry, then after buying house it gets appraised substantially less, meaning the black home owner is now overpaying for a devalued asset.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Harassed after buying items at the store.

Walmart Employee Fired after Racially Targeting a Black Customer

Apparently the guy that checks the receipts assumed the paying customer stole things and
started removing items from his cart and called him the N-word.

That's fucking terrible, the irony is I've been to that Walmart, it's in a heavily black-populated area. That might be the worst Walmart a racist white asshat could have picked to work at lol.

Reactions: Drach

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
No joke, you know that's how gentrification works, right? While that might be "amusing" to you, its pretty fucked up.

Plus, I hope you're not using that as an argument against systemic racism, because that explicitly supports it, as even after normalizing for other factors it still accounts for nearly a 25% difference. I don't know about you, but when speaking about houses, 25% is quite a lot. Would you for instance be ok with your house losing $50k-125k (for $200-500k house)? And keep in mind, the black home owner is gonna be on the hook for that extra amount, whilst they basically can't recoup the cost should that happen to them, they're essentially stuck.

The issue is two fold. Black family buys house in neighborhood and likely has to pay more for it (via higher interest rates, BS fees, larger down payment required, etc) due to systemic discrimination in banking/loan industry, then after buying house it gets appraised substantially less, meaning the black home owner is now overpaying for a devalued asset.

Of course he is. That's what racists are fine with.

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
I worked at Walmart for 18 months. Made a lot of friends among the customers. Was thought of highly by managers.

But I never wanted to work security checking receipts. I saw a lot of theft. But only intervened if the thieves tried to get me to go along with their chit. I refused.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Mar 11, 2004
Of course he is. That's what racists are fine with.

He'd be fine with losing 25% value of his own stuff?

My point being, his argument was fucking dumb. He tried acting like that disproved it being systemic racism when it actually just reinforced it and put a tangible figure on how much it was fucking black people over, despite asswipes like him trying to pretend it wasn't.

I worked at Walmart for 18 months. Made a lot of friends among the customers. Was thought of highly by managers.

But I never wanted to work security checking receipts. I saw a lot of theft. But only intervened if the thieves tried to get me to go along with their chit. I refused.

K...? I get there was a small discussion about Wal-Mart, but it was at least on topic of the thread.

Besides, I thought you were a reporter/journalist? You worked at Wal-Mart recently, because checking receipts is not something they'd done until like the last 10 years.

When you have people that are supposed to enforce the laws but are clueless about it.View attachment 74199

That's just part of the issue. They are trained to be racist, and even though its not official, ridiculous racism that would make anyone that isn't a racist go "WTF?!?" is very common among police. Last time I talked to a long time friend that became a police officer, there were 3 things that stood out to me. He didn't bat an eye defending policy to do nothing about domestic violence cases (they refuse to even go out to them any more even), but they'll gladly take their time slowly building a case (by getting paid to get sex acts performed) for months to raid a massage parlor (wherein they'll usually end up charging the victims of the trafficking they're supposedly doing something about...), and racism is their fun.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Harassed after buying items at the store.

Walmart Employee Fired after Racially Targeting a Black Customer

Apparently the guy that checks the receipts assumed the paying customer stole things and
started removing items from his cart and called him the N-word.

He can sound upset, but he knows he's going to get SO PAID!!! :D

Back in the day, when I was doing LP for K-Mart in Colton, our DM Mr. Griffin told us : "There's nothing in this store that's worth $5000.00 . And that's what it costs us just to call the attorneys and say we have a bad stop. That's not your stuff anyway, it's the company's. Don't take this job personally. When in doubt, let it out."

Walmart doesn't even bother with calling the lawyer. A confirmed bad stop = auto 15k settlement offer to go away. With no admission of guilt. Unless they get a beatdown, 90% of the people just take the money and run.

I WISH this shit would happen to me. :rolleyes:

Reactions: iRONic

m8d

Nov 5, 2012
He'd be fine with losing 25% value of his own stuff?

My point being, his argument was fucking dumb. He tried acting like that disproved it being systemic racism when it actually just reinforced it and put a tangible figure on how much it was fucking black people over, despite asswipes like him trying to pretend it wasn't.

K...? I get there was a small discussion about Wal-Mart, but it was at least on topic of the thread.

Besides, I thought you were a reporter/journalist? You worked at Wal-Mart recently, because checking receipts is not something they'd done until like the last 10 years.

That's just part of the issue. They are trained to be racist, and even though its not official, ridiculous racism that would make anyone that isn't a racist go "WTF?!?" is very common among police. Last time I talked to a long time friend that became a police officer, there were 3 things that stood out to me. He didn't bat an eye defending policy to do nothing about domestic violence cases (they refuse to even go out to them any more even), but they'll gladly take their time slowly building a case (by getting paid to get sex acts performed) for months to raid a massage parlor (wherein they'll usually end up charging the victims of the trafficking they're supposedly doing something about...), and racism is their fun.
20190613_182811827_iOS.jpg

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Followup on the detained black reporter. As I suspected not an isolated incident. Cops probably look at him and in their heads, "this boy doesn't belong here"
Black WSJ reporter lists chilling number of times he’s been mistreated by police as recent arrest draws ire (msn.com)

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000

And another one.

"He needed help and was killed,’ says Patrisse Cullors, as police are seen repeatedly using stun gun on him after traffic accident."

Fucking shameful 😡
I read this yesterday.
Who the fuck tases someone for 30 straight seconds?
Disgusting.

"One officer had his elbow on Anderson’s neck while he was lying down before another Tased him for roughly 30 seconds straight before pausing and Tasing him again for five more seconds."

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
darkswordsman17 said:
Plus, I hope you're not using that as an argument against systemic racism, because that explicitly supports it, as even after normalizing for other factors it still accounts for nearly a 25% difference.

They are suggesting that white people are overpaying. People who do buy within the minority neighborhood get a discount.
I was brief, but I did mention I didn’t agree with it because it had few or just one relevant variable on the people living there. Case in point, the critics they tried to address said they were omitting important SES factors.

metro_perry_rothwell_17nov21_Table_2@4x.png

His original model not only looked comically flawed from the lack of SES factors but also because of what it implied with blacks at -23% and Hispanics/Latinos at -15%. Since they are somewhere in-between in violence, IQ gap, median income, etc., and have more European ancestry, that would imply racial animus is similar or even more than against the black population, which sounds dumb.

Statement on when they included some additional factors:
“When we include median household income and college education, the Black devaluation estimate is -23% but the Latino or Hispanic estimate falls to -3%. In other words, socio-economic status appears to be playing a much larger role in determining home prices in Latino or Hispanic neighborhoods than in Black neighborhoods. This suggests a potentially large role for anti-Black racial discrimination.”

At least better, but a glaring issue to me for why the black-white gap didn’t change is that college attainment (more black graduates than Latinos despite higher median income) is not identical for obvious reasons. Another issue is that there is a concept called regression towards the mean, so even if black parents appear better, their kids are likely to fall back towards the mean in outcomes, which I doubt 4th-8th grade scores necessarily capture that.

I don't know about you, but when speaking about houses, 25% is quite a lot.
For the top quartile of earners, that’s not a lot by a long shot. I’m sitting here laughing. Real estate is easily eclipsed by pensions/investing.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/did-senate-dems-vote-en-masse-to-cut-veterans-pensions/

Here's what the new law will do. We make no changes for those currently at or above age 62. This reform affects only younger military retirees. Right now, any person who has served 20 years can retire —regardless of age. That means a serviceman who enlists at 18 becomes eligible for retirement at 38. The late 30s and early 40s are prime working years, and most of these younger retirees go on to second careers.
All this reform does is make a small adjustment for those younger retirees. If they retire before age 62, the annual increase in their retired pay will be 1% less than the inflation rate. In other words, their benefits will grow every year — just at a slower rate. And when the retiree hits 62, DOD will recalculate the retired pay so that it will be where it would have been if he or she had received the full inflation adjustment every year since he or she retired.
Here's an example: If a serviceman enlisted at 18 and retired at 38, under this policy his lifetime benefit would be about $1.7 million instead of $1.8 million. For a service member who retired at the average military retirement age of 44, the difference would be smaller, about $30,000 over his or her lifetime. This is a far more modest reform than other bipartisan proposals, some of which would have fully eliminated the adjustments for inflation for working-age retirees.

Would you for instance be ok with your house losing $50k-125k (for $200-500k house)? And keep in mind, the black home owner is gonna be on the hook for that extra amount, whilst they basically can't recoup the cost should that happen to them, they're essentially stuck.

You can’t think of any examples where this happens with liberal policies?

It’s interesting to me btw how the comparisons are always only to other homeowners, yet the implication of these grievances is that renting long-term makes you lose out; Ironically, the government does have a solution for that with Section 8/public housing, but that’s not universal for people in similar circumstances.

The issue is that black people can’t maintain high SES, which is certainly a consequence of the black-white IQ gap that begins before any of the racists get to them. Plenty of black people started in objectively better households, yet still do worse than the rural white people.

steps.0.png