YAET: I hate people who bitch about shipping costs.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yellowperil

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2000
4,598
0
0
The UPS Store charges "reduced" UPS rates, but this is in relation to the old Mail Boxes Etc. rates. It's still cheaper to ship via a real UPS counter or at a Office Depot or Staples. I took an XBox package to UPS Store a few days ago, they quoted me $22 for Ground. I went to FedEx Ground and shipped it for ~$14.
 

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
3,995
1
0
Atleast you're not one of those f-ckers who charges $12 when it costs $2 to ship. Sometimes I wan't to show up at their house and beat them with the sh-tty envelope they ship the sh-t in too. Atleast give me a decent box if you're going to rape me...
 

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
50,422
8
81
I told him I would ship FedEx, a whopping 3 dollars in savings.

I was very tempted to say something like, "I hope the 3$ you saved was worth my trouble." :p I have no idea where a FedEx place is around here.
 

clicknext

Banned
Mar 27, 2002
3,884
0
0
OMG shipping r teh suxor I think everyone should charge like 50 cent shipping so we can all be happy happy hehehe.
 

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
50,422
8
81
Originally posted by: conjur
$3 for bubblewrap and peanuts???

Gouge the poor guy.





;)
That's what it cost me, shrug.

Where is a good place to pick up peanuts and bubblewrap?
 

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
3,995
1
0
Originally posted by: Eli
Originally posted by: conjur
$3 for bubblewrap and peanuts???

Gouge the poor guy.





;)
That's what it cost me, shrug.

Where is a good place to pick up peanuts and bubblewrap?

Just use the ones that come from online orders. When I run low on peanuts, its an excuse to like buy more stuff from Amazon and the like...
 

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
50,422
8
81
Originally posted by: Kevin
Originally posted by: Eli
Originally posted by: conjur
$3 for bubblewrap and peanuts???

Gouge the poor guy.





;)
That's what it cost me, shrug.

Where is a good place to pick up peanuts and bubblewrap?

Just use the ones that come from online orders. When I run low on peanuts, its an excuse to like buy more stuff from Amazon and the like...
Heh.. Unfortunately, I don't buy much stuff online. I'm using eBay to try and make some money by selling off some of my junk..

I haven't bought a new piece of computer hardware in I don't know how long. I'm still using the K6-3/400 that I built over 3 years ago. :eek::frown::(
 

MisterPresident

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2002
1,163
0
0
I've never had to do this, but when people complain obnoxiously about shipping costs, just tell them you will send them the receipt to verify the cost. He may just think you are trying to gouge him. (even though he shouldn't)
 

bolido2000

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
3,720
1
0
Fvck receipts! You are paying Final value + shipping when you buy stuff from ebay. I don't know why people bitch when all the fees are stated in the description. If I buy a laptop for 1 dollar "Buy it now" and I am charged 2000 bucks in shipping I didn't get a uber hot deal but got raped in shipping. I just paid 2001 dollars for a laptop. Yeah it sucks and ebay will cancel those auctions, but you get my drift.
 

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
50,422
8
81
Originally posted by: bolido2000
Fvck receipts! You are paying Final value + shipping when you buy stuff from ebay. I don't know why people bitch when all the fees are stated in the description. If I buy a laptop for 1 dollar "Buy it now" and I am charged 2000 bucks in shipping I didn't get a uber hot deal but got raped in shipping. I just paid 2001 dollars for a laptop. Yeah it sucks and ebay will cancel those auctions, but you get my drift.
Heh...

It's tempting, I know. But I don't do it.

Actually, when I've shipped 10 items and I get 5$ off a shipment, I still charge them the normal price.. So it's not all bad. :p

 

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
1,834
0
0
Is this really a big deal? reply saying "It's the actual cost of shipping, I don't overinflate the cost."
Same as you've done here.

I for one get raped on shipping enough that I am VERY leary of that. If you can't understand that then I will illustrate with the $12 shipping charge a company charged me for shipping 2 sticks of RAM USPS standard from 2 states away.

No insurance, no tracking, factory packaging, little brown box....$12....

When I sold it, USPS Standard AND the cost of packing supplies for 3 states away was $5.


In short. Get over it. Email the guy and tell him you don't overinflate....end of story....

I'm going to start my own thread "People who spend their time b!tching about stupid things when they should just let them go".
Well, I would if I thought it warranted the effort ;p
 

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
3,995
1
0
Lets start a thread about people bitching about people bitching

See, the street goes both ways man...
 

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
13,664
28
91
Originally posted by: RabidMongoose
I always overcharge for my shipping & handling. I call it my eBay 'bidder stupidity tax' :)

do you trade here at anandtech?
I searched,not under that screen name
 
Aug 14, 2001
11,061
0
0
Originally posted by: cavemanmoron
Originally posted by: RabidMongoose
I always overcharge for my shipping & handling. I call it my eBay 'bidder stupidity tax' :)

do you trade here at anandtech?

Don't worry, I wouldn't trade with you. I like people that know what they're bidding on and read everything about what they're bidding on. If the auction says that shipping is $6, then that's what it is. Don't email crying about it like a baby. Nobody forced anyone to bid on a auction.
 

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
48,513
221
106
Originally posted by: RabidMongoose
Originally posted by: cavemanmoron
Originally posted by: RabidMongoose
I always overcharge for my shipping & handling. I call it my eBay 'bidder stupidity tax' :)

do you trade here at anandtech?

Don't worry, I wouldn't trade with you. I like people that know what they're bidding on and read everything about what they're bidding on. If the auction says that shipping is $6, then that's what it is. Don't email crying about it like a baby. Nobody forced anyone to bid on a auction.

The auction *didn't* say what shipping and handling would be.
 

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
50,422
8
81
Originally posted by: Balthazar
Is this really a big deal? reply saying "It's the actual cost of shipping, I don't overinflate the cost."
Same as you've done here.

I for one get raped on shipping enough that I am VERY leary of that. If you can't understand that then I will illustrate with the $12 shipping charge a company charged me for shipping 2 sticks of RAM USPS standard from 2 states away.

No insurance, no tracking, factory packaging, little brown box....$12....

When I sold it, USPS Standard AND the cost of packing supplies for 3 states away was $5.


In short. Get over it. Email the guy and tell him you don't overinflate....end of story....

I'm going to start my own thread "People who spend their time b!tching about stupid things when they should just let them go".
Well, I would if I thought it warranted the effort ;p
Huh?

No, it's not really a big deal. That's exactly what I did, I emailed him.

It was a rant, that's all.

 
Aug 14, 2001
11,061
0
0
I know it didn't. However, I do state it and every once in a while I'll still get an email saying something like 'plz sir!!! reducze shiping'. The stupidity of some eBay buyers is amazing.
 

anno

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
1,907
0
0
packing peanuts

I wonder if that's gonna work...

if you lived closer, you could have my peanuts and bubble wrap.. my husband hauls 'em over to the nearest easy shipping place when the garage gets full and gives 'em to them.

I think you oughta figure out what shipping is going to be to the east coast before you advertise your auctions, and then just include that as the cost of shipping in the listing. you'll either make a few extra bucks or break even, one or other, on all of 'em, and eliminate the headache.
 

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
50,422
8
81
Originally posted by: anno
packing peanuts

I wonder if that's gonna work...

if you lived closer, you could have my peanuts and bubble wrap.. my husband hauls 'em over to the nearest easy shipping place when the garage gets full and gives 'em to them.

I think you oughta figure out what shipping is going to be to the east coast before you advertise your auctions, and then just include that as the cost of shipping in the listing. you'll either make a few extra bucks or break even, one or other, on all of 'em, and eliminate the headache.
LOL..

Shipping costs as much as the peanuts. :Q

 

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
2,633
263
126
Originally posted by: Eli
Originally posted by: cavemanmoron
Originally posted by: Salvador
The box is 15x12x9 and weighs 2.54lbs. I don't think it's going to get much cheaper. Maybe a couple of dollars, but.. meh. The UPS Store is convienent for me, it's about a mile and a half away.
You hit the nail on the head there. The UPS store is your problem. They charge a lot more than the regular UPS counter. You would've probably been better off sending it Priority Mail with a box that light and the customer would've gotten it in 2 days. It most likely would've been cheaper too.

If you're going to list shipping in your auction, call it fixed shipping and "handling". I've never had a complaint about shipping and handling rates even if they turned out to be double what the actual cost was. Sometimes it's necessary to inflate the shipping cost and lower the price of your item because other sellers seem to set the prices.

Sal

this is why i won't buy from egay;and many other online places.
people trying to make $3 on shipping.etc..and varoius other "Handling"charges.

i bought some pens a few years ago,the place charged me $18.shipping and handling charge,
i took the box to the post office and mailed it back,it cost me $3.10,including a return reciept.
i got the money all refunded to my Visa card..

:|

i try to buy stuff here,in the for sale/trade forum. The better traders are fair about shipping costs.
Oh i have My trader references linked in my sig.
I agree, that's why I charge actual shipping. I don't really understand why the guy is complaining.

It looks like FedEx would be the cheapest though, only 8.41+the $3 for materials.

Even USPS Priority would be 8.55+3.

Bah, I guess I'll ship it fedex.. but I don't know where a fedex place is around here.

The UPS store around my neck of the woods is also a authorized FedEx drop off center (for some bizzare reason). Out of principle, I refuse to do business there. Most Kinkos also have a FedEx center some even have FedEx staff. You can get an account and get billed monthy. I still prefer USPS because of the free supplies and the sometimes quick(er) delivery.
 

Mannkind

Senior member
Mar 19, 2000
648
0
76
For small items, less than a pound use USPS ... total is like max 4 bucks shipped.
Else use Fedex ground, hell I sent something 3.5-4lbs to Canada, and it cost me like 11 bucks total. I sent a 15 lb case to someone across the country from me for 12 via fedex ground...
To use anything more expensive because it is closer (UPS is actually farther away for me, but that's -> Null) is dumb. You don't like to get raped on shipping, don't rape someone else.
To send something less than 3lbs for 15 bucks is a ridiculously high price. However, I do agree with you, he shouldn't have bid if he didn't like it and if he did, than that's the breaks of the game, you laid out the shipping charges, tough luck for him.
I also must admit, that I will e-mail sellers asking them to ship it via a different route, because it will be cheaper .... most e-mail me back and tell me that it is (for example) ... 5 shipping plus 12 handling or some such crap... like it cost them 12 dollars to drop off the package. I'll give them 15 cents per mile. As that's way more than they actually use in gas+wear on the car. Give me a break. That is why e-bay sucks.... and I don't deal with it. Too many rapists ;)

Edit: BTW I live in Washington (well Seattle now, but before I transfered to the UofW, I lived in Vancouver, 8miles above oregons border)
Edit 2: Apon thinking, before I used fedex ground, I shipped a 3lb PDA package via UPS ground and it cost me 18 bucks... stupid UPS