YAET: First time doing instant transfer, first time (potentially) getting scammed

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Im not much of an ebayer - use it couple times a year to buy stuff. In all my ebay transactions, I've never had a problem. But still, I always paid with my CC (I hate how paypal defaults to instant transfer from bank acct) for the added protection. Last Monday, I bought a couple sticks of RAM from this seller. The listing was for 2x1Gb DDR2 800 RAM. But I forgot to change the method of payment to my CC.

I just got the package today and there was only 1 stick in there - the correct RAM, but missing the 2nd stick. Now it could be an honest mistake, but he could also say I'm trying to scam him and that he did ship two sticks. My word against his. I've already contacted the seller, but how long should I wait before I file a paypal claim?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
This is why you always have 2 paycrap accounts. The one that's linked to your bank, and the one that you send funds to from your other account.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Seriously? More than likely just an honest mistake. Sellers don't get 5000+ feedback with 99.3% positive from scamming people.

Be patient, don't go accusing him of anything or act like a dick. Inform him of the error, be courteous, and I'm sure the seller will set this issue straight.

phaxmohdem

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2004
www.avxmedia.com
As a seller, It's very annoying when buyers instantly file claims for problems. However if the seller does not respond within a business day or two (give them the benefit of the doubt on weekends... some sellers do not sit at their computers every day of the week), the I think you are justified in filing the claim.

PayPal claims are especially annoying to sellers, because the funds are instantly taken out of your account pending resolution of the dispute. Generally the seller must provide a valid delivery tracking number, or offer a full or partial refund in order to satisfy the dispute, and get their money released to them again.

I'm an honest seller, but buyers (especially new ones) get particularly antsy when something goes wrong (which it does from time to time... no real way to avoid it). My advice is to give the seller time to respond... Send him a couple different messages, and if you don't get response back, or they claim they shipped you both sticks, then file the "Item not as described" claim with Paypal.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Seriously? More than likely just an honest mistake. Sellers don't get 5000+ feedback with 99.3% positive from scamming people.

Be patient, don't go accusing him of anything or act like a dick. Inform him of the error, be courteous, and I'm sure the seller will set this issue straight.

i was polite on the email. Im assuming it is an honest mistake. But I also dont want to get scammed.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
As a seller, It's very annoying when buyers instantly file claims for problems. However if the seller does not respond within a business day or two (give them the benefit of the doubt on weekends... some sellers do not sit at their computers every day of the week), the I think you are justified in filing the claim.

PayPal claims are especially annoying to sellers, because the funds are instantly taken out of your account pending resolution of the dispute. Generally the seller must provide a valid delivery tracking number, or offer a full or partial refund in order to satisfy the dispute, and get their money released to them again.

I'm an honest seller, but buyers (especially new ones) get particularly antsy when something goes wrong (which it does from time to time... no real way to avoid it). My advice is to give the seller time to respond... Send him a couple different messages, and if you don't get response back, or they claim they shipped you both sticks, then file the "Item not as described" claim with Paypal.

That's the thing, if he did want to scam me, all his bases are covered. He sent something (albeit half the order), so he has a tracking # and can prove that it was delivered to me. As for the contents of the package, it is his word against mine.

Im giving him the benefit of the doubt as even the invoice inside the package says 2x1Gb. Maybe tomorrow I'll call the phone # on his invoice.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
You don't know how eBay/PayPal resolution works. It's always the buyer's word against the seller's, they heavily favor buyers. So I wouldn't worry about losing your money on this transaction, but I think it would be hasty to file a claim before the seller responds. Give the seller a chance to correct this before getting PayPal involved.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
after not hearing back from the seller in 2 days, i called up the seller. She claims she meant to only sell one stick - that she had two sticks, but she meant each of them to be sold separately for $50. Wtf is she crazy? $100 for 2gb of RAM when 4GB new goes for around that price! The price point and the listing title (OCZ Ocz2Rpr8002Gk Ram 2Gb 2X1Gb DDR2 800 W Heatpipe) makes me think she isn't an honest seller.

So now she wants me to ship the item back to her (she agreed to send me a UPS label) and she will give me a refund after she receives the item. Ugh. what a hassle. I should've just jumped on the black friday memory deals

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
after not hearing back from the seller in 2 days, i called up the seller. She claims she meant to only sell one stick - that she had two sticks, but she meant each of them to be sold separately for $50. Wtf is she crazy? $100 for 2gb of RAM when 4GB new goes for around that price! The price point and the listing title (OCZ Ocz2Rpr8002Gk Ram 2Gb 2X1Gb DDR2 800 W Heatpipe) makes me think she isn't an honest seller.

So now she wants me to ship the item back to her (she agreed to send me a UPS label) and she will give me a refund after she receives the item. Ugh. what a hassle. I should've just jumped on the black friday memory deals

That's bullspit. I'd shove that stick of RAM up my ass then mail it back to her.

onlyCOpunk

Platinum Member
May 25, 2003
Just send it back and be done with her. No point wasting your time dealing with it if she's not going to send you the other one.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

auction link son.

please post it.

most that buy online are more retarded then they think...then expect Wal*Mart warranty service.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003
That's the thing, if he did want to scam me, all his bases are covered. He sent something (albeit half the order), so he has a tracking # and can prove that it was delivered to me. As for the contents of the package, it is his word against mine.

Im giving him the benefit of the doubt as even the invoice inside the package says 2x1Gb. Maybe tomorrow I'll call the phone # on his invoice.

your screwed they ALWAYS favor the seller. Every time all the time.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
this is what 'buyers' say.

those that own legitimate businesses learn buyers can screw you big time.

Do you understand how new ebay feedback works or just blind to it?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
looks like she just copied the item description from another site or something. give her the benefit of the doubt. She's offering a refund so just take it.

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003

http://cgi.ebay.com/OCZ-Ocz2Rpr8002...iewItemQQptZCOMP_Printers?hash=item4838454415

If I'm reading this right the item is listed as 2GB 2x1, and the buyer received 1 1gb. The seller says she intended to sell each gb separately.

Item listing is beyond misleading, it is fraudulent.

Wow i dont see how that is not 2GB. Also that is way expensive for 2GB, jeez prices have went up. I bought so much ram for $20 for 4GB kits...

Only if i could see the future i would have bought that shit up and made millions lol