YAET: Ebay dilllema - What would you do in my situation?

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Here is the situation. I sold a used cell phone on eBay which was delivered on the 7th. Fast forward to the 10th when I receive an email from PP stating that buyer filed a claim against me for receiving "item not as advertised". I had not heard from the buyer prior, he did not make any attempts to contact me. Buyer claims that backlight on the phone does not work. He also claims that he did not receive it until the 9th because he was out of town over the weekend, which I of course hav no way of verifying.

My auction terms clearely state that this phone is sold as used and as-is, no returns or refunds. It was thoroughly tested and worked perfectly when I shipped it. Buyer did not purchase USPS insurance.

I am pondering my choices here since I do not want to screw the guy, but do not want to get screwed in return. Vote in my poll or post here what would you do in my situation.

Stumps

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
if you made it very clear that the item was sold "AS IS" and "NO REFUNDS" then there is nothing they can do, you have every right to deny them a refund and Ebay will not take any action against you, as long as you clearly stated the AS IS and NO REFUNDS in your auction.

I have been through this before with an item that I sold on ebay (a Leadtek 5900XT), the buyer claimed it didn't work when he recieved it and wanted a refund, I told him to go jump because it worked fine when it was shipped. he filed a claim with ebay and they chucked it out because I had clear listed in big black text "PLEASE BID ACCORDINGLY THIS ITEM IS SOLD AS IS AND NO REFUND WILL BE GIVEN".

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
What is the ebay auction number. I want to see it before I make up my mind.

Thanks

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Stumps
if you made it very clear that the item was sold "AS IS" and "NO REFUNDS" then there is nothing they can do, you have every right to deny them a refund and Ebay will not take any action against you, as long as you clearly stated the AS IS and NO REFUNDS in your auction.

I have been through this before with an item that I sold on ebay (a Leadtek 5900XT), the buyer claimed it didn't work when he recieved it and wanted a refund, I told him to go jump because it worked fine when it was shipped. he filed a claim with ebay and they chucked it out because I had clear listed in big black text "PLEASE BID ACCORDINGLY THIS ITEM IS SOLD AS IS AND NO REFUND WILL BE GIVEN".

Yes, my terms clearely state that it's sold as-is. I have dealt with similar situation before and came out on top. Just don't want to wait 4+ weeks for eBay to decide. I will get e negative of course, but I can live with that.

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Number1

Thanks

Sorry, I keep my eBay business private from AT. There have been some bad precedenses around here. If you want to gt an idea of what kind of seller/trader I am, check out my Heatware in the sig.

Stumps

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: AnyMal

Yes, my terms clearely state that it's sold as-is. I have dealt with similar situation before and came out on top. Just don't want to wait 4+ weeks for eBay to decide. I will get e negative of course, but I can live with that.

I sure that if the buyer left a negtive feedback and ebay chucked out the complaint, ebay would withdraw the negitive feedback.
I was left with negative feedback and as soon as the complaint was dropped, ebay removed the negative feedback for me.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Number1

Thanks

Sorry, I keep my eBay business private from AT. There have been some bad precedenses around here. If you want to gt an idea of what kind of seller/trader I am, check out my Heatware in the sig.

Fair enough. I tend to agree with the majority.

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001

I sure that if the buyer left a negtive feedback and ebay chucked out the complaint, ebay would withdraw the negitive feedback.
I was left with negative feedback and as soon as the complaint was dropped, ebay removed the negative feedback for me.

Good to know they started doing that, it was nearly impossible to do it before.