YADT dont like to keep debt

Al Neri

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2002
i personally don't like to keep debt, (except for a house loan) and have come into about 1000-1500$ worth of debt (recent medical problems, unexpected weddings). i have worked together a payment plan in excel over my next 5 paychecks (2.5 mos.) to get it down to zero. I always see 0% balance transfers and low APR rate credit cards... would this be a wise fhoice? Get all of my debts (1 is checking + on my checking account, and the remaineder are credit card debts) swept onto one low apr account and pay it off that way?

thanks!

don r.

EPCrew

Jun 2, 2000
Consolidate if you can. Be careful of transfer fees. If you have a spare cc, try giving them a call to see what they can do for you. They might have an offer. Even if they don't, you may be able to negotiate. Tell them you received a better offer elsewhere. I currently have about 11k in consolidated debt at 0% for life. I have the funds to pay it off completely, but I've decided to make more payments on it so that i can save on the bank interest.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Yeah....don't get another credit card if you can help it. I tried this approach and now have 4 credit cards with approximately the same amount of debt....they all have different APRs....of course, I had some unexpected expenses come up too since I got them.....My unexpected engagement, wedding, and honeymoon.....plus, I'm still spending money to reinsulate my house...so hopefully I can start paying this stuff off again or get a raise. :p

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: zephyrprime
For such a small amount of money, it is not worth the bother.
Ditto.

At worst, you have $1500 on 20% interest credit cards. Then, you'll pay <$40 in interest. Going through all the work, getting yet another CC, transferring all the balances, checking that everything clears, etc isn't worth <$40.

Plus, you have to wonder what this may do to your credit score. It very well may be harmless, but I don't know your situation, so I can't make any real comments.

And remember, it may take 1-2 months to get accepted and to transfer the balances. By then, you'll have the debt mostly paid off.

Al Neri

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: EPCrew
Consolidate if you can. Be careful of transfer fees. If you have a spare cc, try giving them a call to see what they can do for you. They might have an offer. Even if they don't, you may be able to negotiate. Tell them you received a better offer elsewhere. I currently have about 11k in consolidated debt at 0% for life. I have the funds to pay it off completely, but I've decided to make more payments on it so that i can save on the bank interest.

this is kind of embarassing but can you explain " I currently have about 11k in consolidated debt at 0% for life" what do you meaN? you never pay interest?
(obv this cant be true)

EPCrew

Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Don Rodriguez

this is kind of embarassing but can you explain " I currently have about 11k in consolidated debt at 0% for life" what do you meaN? you never pay interest?

0% for the life of the balance transfer. Any additional purchases go at the normal rate.

EPCrew

Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Don Rodriguez

(obv this cant be true)

Basically, I kept only 3 CCs. Amex charge for everyday purchases that I must pay off every month. Discover to keep my transfer balance (that'll get closed once I finish paying off). Citibank for emergencies, which I don't even carry around with me anymore.