YADMT: Yet Another Dungeon Master Topic

Majesty

Nov 22, 1999
Dungeon Masters,

I'd like to have your thoughts on this peculiar situation in a game. When one of your player gains a level and throws his/her hit dice and gets a "1", what do you do? Do you allow them to throw the hit dice again? Only once or until he/she gets a "good" score? Maybe you don't allow it because it's part of the game?

Signing out.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
We had a house rule for the following:

D4: Ignore none
D6: Ignore 1's
D8: Ignore 1's and 2's
D10: Ignore 1's and 2's
D12: Ignore 1,s, 2's, and 3's

That's just the way we played.

If you rolled a one, you rolled again.

nan0bug

Banned
Apr 22, 2003
vi_edit's plan sounds fair. Nobody likes getting stuck with a 1, especially if it takes multiple gaming sessions to level up. Let them roll again.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Yeah vi has a good plan....weak die rolls are 'not fun' and 'realistic', however I'd give up a little for more fun esp when it could add for less fun later.

With d4 a 1 is not an issue....with d10 and d12 characters that is.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Also - I don't remember if this was "standard" or not, but we always gave max HP up to and including level 9. After that, you started rolling for HP's.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Dude, I was hoping for a in-depth debate on the quality of leather whips and how to keep your slave mistress submissive.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: JEDI
dungeon masters = competition to D&D?

Dungeon Masters(Or DM's as they are usually called) are the story tellers, moderators, and "AI" for pencil and paper based role playing games.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
Yeah, I try to make sure the guys aren't too weak, otherwise they won't be much of a hero. I usually let rerolls on 1 unless the guy is already super charged with other unfair stats.

Maetryx

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
My house rule is that you can ask me (the Dungeon Master) to roll again for you if you don't like your roll, but you have to keep what I roll even if it's worse.

Darien

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2002
vi's method sounds good. That's kind of how I did it...depending on what the character was like, (eg: good rolls before, so everything is above average would mean you're stuck with a 1) that is.

Majesty

Nov 22, 1999
I am happy to see that I am not the only one to think it sucks to get 1hp in a level. And I like all your house rules. :)

Storm, I'm playing DnD 3.5. We just began new characters and I've rolled 1hp on two levels so far! That really pisses me off. But when the DM will kill me because I'm not strong enough, he'll see that he was wrong to let me keep that ridiculous hit dice roll!

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It's really a judgement call. Dealing with a character's weaknesses can be one of the more fun challenges of an RPG. The DM has to decide whether it's a weakness that can be overcome or not and whether or not you should reroll.

And if the DM kills you.....well, some DM. It's his job to make sure stupid stuff doesn't happen.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Generally I would alllow the player to role again if they got a one. If the players started to get to powerful I would incease the random encounters or number of monsters they had to face.