YADDT: Miata / Cooper S / CR-Z / Prius

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RayH

Jun 30, 2000
LCA bushings are a standard wear item. Replace with Powerflex bushings and they'll probably outlast the car. Upper engine mount and serpentine pulley tensioner/damper are also wear items, probably every 70k.

Maybe my old Mitsu broke me in but I don't find these problems excessive for a 10 year old car probably hitting replacement cycle for a bunch of wear items.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Regardless, you have to remember the car was cheap as **** to begin with. I bought mine 6 years ago for 10k, been paid off for a while. If you average 1200 a year in maintenance once it gets older -- its still a lot cheaper overall than leasing or buying some lame civic.

Everyone can always say well a corolla is free!!!! stop wasting your money!!!! but cars aren't just a to b appliances for everyone. Plus if you spent 30k on a nice used Audi your maintenance would still be worse and you'd be broke to start.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
I'm thinking of dropping ~10k for a K20 turbo Insight conversion at some point. It'll be nice to have 3-400hp to the wheels in an 1800lb car (on the fence about AWD), and still get 40-50mpg on the highway. And, like most older Hondas, they got the handling right. Mind you it'll still be an Insight on the inside, but this thread is making me feel a lot better about the expense, as I can be sure it'll run virtually maintenance-free for a decade.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
What about a Mazda Speed 3, or a Fiesta or Focus ST?

so, how are these Focus ST's? Had one get up on my ass yesterday and I was surprised - looked them up later and daaaaaaaamn almost 250hp.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I just want to go one month without this car costing me hundreds of dollars. I WAS ONE DAY AWAY

Got a speeding ticket this morning :D my first one in 15 years.

Reactions: Yuriman

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
You should know to look out for cops on Angeles Crest.....

Got me right after a corner. Told me basically "go 60, not 80". On the plus side, he got me for speeding and not a reckless, so TBH I'm not even mad.

Guess I'll have to add 10 minutes to the commute...

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Well, can't blame the car for the speeding ticket at least.

Mine is still leaking coolant after getting it back from my crappy mechanic telling me the car looks 'great' mechanically overall.

Only leaks while driving so I'm assuming its into the engine probably destroying my internals as we speak.

Reactions: Ns1

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
so, how are these Focus ST's? Had one get up on my ass yesterday and I was surprised - looked them up later and daaaaaaaamn almost 250hp.
Actually 252hp :)

Mine is coming up on 5 years old and it's been a great car. I work from home so I'm only averaging around 12000 miles per year. I drive pretty conservatively most of the time since so much of my driving is to and from my kids' schools and such so I'm getting ~28mpg lifetime. It's been quite reliable - I replaced the brake pads pretty early because the OEM pads put off crazy amounts of dust (wash the car, drive to the grocery store and back, and the dust is obvious on the otherwise clean wheels) and I'm on the third set of tires now. I've gotten a "headlamp fault" error code 3 or 4 times and others have reported the same, but it doesn't seem to affect anything and goes away on restart. And the entertainment system has gone goofy (nonresponsive, etc.) a few times but it's maybe once a year or so. The biggest issue for me has just been its small size with my family stuff, but if you're used to a Mini it may feel like a limo.

I also changed the front speakers which has helped the sound a lot. At some point I'll install the Rockford Fosgate DSR1 which replace the awful factory amp without losing functionality and allows you to put in the amp of your choice.

They have excellent handling for a FWD car, and a simple ECU flash adds 20hp and 50 lb/ft of torque. Rumors are that the '19 model will be moving toward efficiency with a 1.5l engine so I wouldn't wait for that version. Resale value has been pretty poor so if you can find a well-cared for used car, it should be a good bargain. Overall reliability seems to be pretty good; early '13s had some transmission failures, and there have been the occasional reports of total lemons but by and far most people seem happy with how they hold up (one guy has over 300K miles and other than the alternator, it's been normal maintenance stuff).

Reactions: Ns1

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Certainly sounds more reliable than my current vehicle.

I'm 30 days without a check engine light though!

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I had a great time driving to work in my miata this morning! Top down, listening to the traffic on the 710 and 405! :D

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I had a great time driving to work in my miata this morning! Top down, listening to the traffic on the 710 and 405! :D

almost got rear ended this morning on 14, but thanks to the Mini's diminutive size was able to pull to the right of my lane, allowing the car that almost rear ended me to slide to my left into the carpool lane.

everytime I don't take the canyons, someone almost hits me. I think it's a sign.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
almost got rear ended this morning on 14, but thanks to the Mini's diminutive size was able to pull to the right of my lane, allowing the car that almost rear ended me to slide to my left into the carpool lane.

everytime I don't take the canyons, someone almost hits me. I think it's a sign.
Unfortunately, no canyons from Huntington to DTLA. :[

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
One year and...5 months? worth of life. Hope you got some level of moneys worth :|

It was a great car when it worked and I did get almost 40k miles out of it, but to say that this is crushing would be an understatement. I am looking at another Mini though because I am an idiot, but maybe with a CarMax warranty this time...

Story? What happened?

I pressed the gas and something went poof. At best cracked head, at worst need new engine. Quotes from 2k - 6k to repair just this issue.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
I sold my R53 six months ago, great car but on its last legs.

I wouldn't rule out another one... but they are so old its hard to find a warranty these days.