YACT: Why does my car shake when I brake between 40-50 mph?

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
This problem has popped up quite recently. Say I'm cruising at 70 mph on a highway, I can brake smoothly except between about 40 and 50 mph, my car shakes noticably. But it doesn't squeak and braking performance is unaffected as far as I know - what's causing this? Should I get it checked out soon?

EDIT: 98 (Ford) Contour with 65K miles.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Warped rotors, loose/worn tie rods, or bad tires. It could be a number of things since you didn't state the year, make, or model to help us answer your question.

WHipLAsh13

Golden Member
Jan 17, 2001
Balance on tires could be the culprit too in addition to what quixfire mentioned.

calvinbiss

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2001
DO NOT go to Brake Check!!! they like to stick it to you where the sun don't shine. My dad got my brakes chaged there, all this lifetime BS. My brakes have needed changing every 10-12 k miles since i have been going there. Need to go to Toyota dealer BAD and get some real parts.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
assuming my rotors are warped, what's the cost of replacing them? My dad took care of my car until I got to college and haven't had to do brake work since then.

hippy

Oct 9, 1999
If there is no brake pedal pulsating I would think either bad control arm bushings or bad trailing arm bushings could be the culprit. It is very common in todays vehicles and both are often overlooked.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Front brake rotors could run between 25 and 40 dollars each. I would also replace the pads if that have any signs of abnormal wearing.

selene

Nov 3, 2003
If your rotor can be cut aka resurface aka lathe, it'll cost like 5 - 15 dollar per disc. If they're shot to hell, maybe 50-75 for each new front and rear. This is assuming you have 4 wheel disk brake and not drum rears. Brake pad, ~30 front/rear, labor, 1-2 hour for front and 1-2 hour for rear

brake fluid bleed is optional

Adul

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
danny.tangtam.com
its pretty easy to fix your own breaks and rotors are not to expensive. you might be get with just getting them turned to flatten them out for a few bucks.

Crucial

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Go to partsamerica.com and look up rotors and pads for your make/model/year. It shouldn't be much more than $125 for parts for the fronts.

You didn't specify your trim level or motor so it's hard to be exact.

Depending on the brand rotors will be between $25 and $80 each for the fronts and pads $20 - $80 for a set for the front.

To echo Hippys opinion, It could be something else. The fact that you only feel it at a certain speed makes me think it is not the brakes as you would probably feel some pulsing in the pedal at all speeds. I know I do on mine. It's about time get on that. ;)

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
If tire sizes are the same, ft to rear on your car, I would try a tire rotation first. Just to make sure it's not a radial tire
acting up. It does not happen often, but it does happen.

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
I really recommend not going anywhere that tells you it will take 30 minutes to resurface your rotors.
If it only takes 30 minutes then I would almost be willing to bet money that they do single step passes and call it a day.
Your dealer may or may not take the extra time to actually do it in two steps. If not, call around other shops till you find somebody who does. It took about 2 hours on my car (at the dealer) but its WELL worth it, alot less likely to warp again over a short period of time.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Make sure your insurance is current...Put a brick on the accelerator and let that P.O.S go over a cliff :D

Sysadmin