YACT: Whining transmission

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
'88 GMC Vandura 2500.

A little while ago, I replaced the radiator/oil cooler/trans cooler combo on it. On occasion, the transmission (an automatic) will make a very odd whining sound in first gear when starting from a complete stop. This can sometimes be alleviated by letting your foot off the gas and going back on, other times, it only stops after shifting or stopping again.

Checked ATF, added some AT conditioner to it. Thoughts?

BobDaMenkey

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2005
Originally posted by: EyeMWing
GMC

Checked ATF, added some AT conditioner to it. Thoughts?

Found the problem, it's American made.

On a serious note, it's probably just because it's getting old, and the only way to fix that is to rebuild/replace it. How many miles does it have on it? As good as any car is, it will eventually all wear out.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
As long as you didnt get any coolant into the ATF while changing it I can't see anything out of the ordinary. From the sounds of it your transmission starting a long slow death... :(

bret

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2001
was there an oil cooler on there to start with? or did you add that on.

did you replace all the fluid lost?

unless your 100% sure, its probably not your tranny

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: bret
was there an oil cooler on there to start with? or did you add that on.

did you replace all the fluid lost?

unless your 100% sure, its probably not your tranny

I'm 99% certain it's the trans. I've never heard an engine make this noise, nor can I imagine one making this particular sound, and there's no other moving part that I can think of in the area from which this is coming (between the two front seats)

The cooler was stock. The "radiator" is an all-in-one radiator/oil cooler/trans cooler; the radiator part leaked, it all had to be changed. Made sure we had it topped off. Don't think any coolant got into the system, but a little crud/grease is possible. In order to get the new (slightly-differently-configured) cooler to fit, we had to bend one of the lines. I don't think a tweaked fluid line would cause any issue at all.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ugh, you used Transmissuion Fluid Snake Oil.

No better than any concoction that you're supposed to put into your crankcase. I wouldn't touch such garbage with a 10 foot wratchet.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Eli
Ugh, you used Transmissuion Fluid Snake Oil.

No better than any concoction that you're supposed to put into your crankcase. I wouldn't touch such garbage with a 10 foot wratchet.

I didn't do it. Dad did. He's paying for the trans either way :p

I think I should definitely tell him to stop working on the damn cars, though. It took him 3 tries to buy the RIGHT FVCKING HEADLIGHT.