YACT: Which would you choose?

If you were in the market for a car and had about $18,000 - $22,000 as a budget (depending on financing), which would you choose?

• Jeep Wrangler X: ~$18,000 with 0% financing for 48 months and $2000 back, or 0% for 60 months
  • Mazda 3s with sports package: ~$19,000 with 3.9% financing for 60 months
  • Mazda 6s with sports package: $22,635 with 0% financing for 60 months
  • Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V: $18,000 with regular financing (probably 3.9% or something similar)
All cars would be manual transmission with minimal options...just the Sport Package for the 6 and the 3.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
I like the Mazda 3s the most, and I'd say that you would get the most car for your money with that one. But the 0% Jeep financing is very enticing. Thats basically like free money. And the Wrangler X is not a bad vehicle. It's up to those two. It depends on which means more to you, car or money.

Originally posted by: krunchykrome
I like the Mazda 3s the most, and I'd say that you would get the most car for your money with that one. But the 0% Jeep financing is very enticing. Thats basically like free money. And the Wrangler X is not a bad vehicle. It's up to those two. It depends on which means more to you, car or money.
I was leaning toward the Mazda 6s on that one, since it seems like for $3000 more, you get a punchy V6, (arguably) better styling than the 3, more interior space, and the appeal of a manual transmission mated to a V6. It seems to me like the M6 is the better value.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Jeep? God no.

The 3 and 6 is a toss up. Drive both. The price difference is minimal, but the 6 is a larger car and will have better value down the road because of that. You pay a premium for the new 3 now, whereas the 6 has been out longer and will probably have a little better build because of it.

I do love the Sentra Spec V, but resale on it is sure to be worse than either of the mazdas. It's faster than both of them, but insurance is also higher as well, and it requires premium gas, plus gets only 23/29.

BTW, you can do better on the price of it. I was quoted in December at $14,500 if I didn't go with special financing (yes, on a new one, because Nissan had an awesome rebate at the time, and they still may). I would check out carsdirect and use that price to contact a few local nissan dealerships and see how much lower you can get it for.

Honestly, I would probably end up choosing one of the mazdas.

Originally posted by: Skoorb
Jeep? God no.

The 3 and 6 is a toss up. Drive both. The price difference is minimal, but the 6 is a larger car and will have better value down the road because of that. You pay a premium for the new 3 now, whereas the 6 has been out longer and will probably have a little better build because of it.

I do love the Sentra Spec V, but resale on it is sure to be worse than either of the mazdas. It's faster than both of them, but insurance is also higher as well, and it requires premium gas, plus gets only 23/29.

BTW, you can do better on the price of it. I was quoted in December at $14,500 if I didn't go with special financing (yes, on a new one, because Nissan had an awesome rebate at the time, and they still may). I would check out carsdirect and use that price to contact a few local nissan dealerships and see how much lower you can get it for.

Honestly, I would probably end up choosing one of the mazdas.
Yeah, I was just listing MSRPs since I've only done online research. I would be able to afford any of the vehicles, and any negotiations to below-MSRP prices would be an even further bonus.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
I was leaning toward the Mazda 6s on that one, since it seems like for $3000 more, you get a punchy V6, (arguably) better styling than the 3, more interior space, and the appeal of a manual transmission mated to a V6. It seems to me like the M6 is the better value.

I don't really like the mazda 6. My friends have driven it and they say that it's not all that great. I think you should test drive each vehicle. And for $22K, I think you might be able to do better than a mazda 6.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
I would choose the M6 over anything listed. Like you mentioned before more room, bigger engine, and better styling.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
Jeep? God no.

What's wrong with jeep?
Well really it's in a different class from the other three, so it's tough comparing the two (cars vs jeep). I personally would just not want a jeep. The jeep will have poor resale as well, for what it's worth.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Well really it's in a different class from the other three, so it's tough comparing the two (cars vs jeep). I personally would just not want a jeep. The jeep will have poor resale as well, for what it's worth.

Yea, that is an odd selection. Just omit the Jeep, because it looks like your looking for a sporty little sedan. I'd still go for the 3 even the the Mazda 6 has 40 more HP when comparing the S trims. I just think the 3 looks better, I 've seen a few on the road already and they look hot, alot better IMO than a 6.

rmrf

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
Mazda tends to lie about their hp ratings, so why wouldn't they lie about other specs on the car? I personally don't like mazda's, so I would probably end up with the Nissan.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
The Mazda 6s is the one to get. THe 0% financing is what does it. The Mazda 3 is not even worth considering. After the 3.9% is factored in, you will pay more for the 3 than the 6. Pay more, get less car. Not a good bargain. Based on the prices you have there, the Mazda 3 will cost $23,083.61 once the interest is factored in.

Get the Mazda 6s.

ZV

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
what about the dodge neon srt-4 and the subaru impreza wrx. both are in that price range. of the ones you listed, i would go for the wrangler first (thats one of my dream cars).

Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
The Mazda 6s is the one to get. THe 0% financing is what does it. The Mazda 3 is not even worth considering. After the 3.9% is factored in, you will pay more for the 3 than the 6. Pay more, get less car. Not a good bargain. Based on the prices you have there, the Mazda 3 will cost $23,083.61 once the interest is factored in.

Get the Mazda 6s.

ZV
Yeah, the previous 0% financing programs that Mazda has had are usually for NON Sport Package 6s'. But this one is for all 6 models currently available (except for five-door and wagon forthcoming models). I'm not positive that I'll be taking the plunge, but I'm just putting some feelers out.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: maziwanka
what about the dodge neon srt-4 and the subaru impreza wrx. both are in that price range. of the ones you listed, i would go for the wrangler first (thats one of my dream cars).
That's the 4-cylinder Wrangler. Bad idea. The Wrangler needs the I6.

ZV

Neither company is having financing specials. I only want a car if the company is offering 0% or close to it.

ZV
No, the Wrangler X has the I6.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: jumpr

Get the Mazda 6s.

ZV
Yeah, the previous 0% financing programs that Mazda has had are usually for NON Sport Package 6s'. But this one is for all 6 models currently available (except for five-door and wagon forthcoming models). I'm not positive that I'll be taking the plunge, but I'm just putting some feelers out.
Go with the best deal on financing you can get. The amount of money that people pay in financing is insane. On the other hand, that' where I'll be making my living in a couple months. So maybe I should let you pay entra for financing in order to keep people in my profession paid. ;) :p

ZV

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: jumpr

ZV
No, the Wrangler X has the I6.
Oops, my bad. :eek:

ZV