YACT: Which would you buy from these?

herbiehancock

May 11, 2006
I'll be buying a new car early next year, or at least new to me, depending on car.

My situation...........

I work for a manufacturer that supplies various auto makers, so I qualify for the various supplier-purchasing plans the auto makers offer to their suppliers, akin to the employee purchasing programs you've seen.

We supply Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infinity, GM and their subsidiaries (i.e. Saab, etc.), Ford and their subsidiaries (i.e. Volvo, Jaguar, etc.), and Daimler-Chrysler.

I am looking at either new or a two-year old used car.

New car choices (because of the aforementioned plan):

Acura TL

Infinity G35

Volvo S60/80

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V (Don't be a hater.....we love its styling!!)

(Maybe as a step down from those above, the Nissan Maxima)

Used cars: (All the above, plus these added to the mix:)

BMW 3 series

Audi A4/A6

Lexus ES330

Toyota Camry

We're putting about $8-$10K down and intend to finance a note of 36-48 months, and will probably get lowest prevailing interest rates. The last vehicle we bought, an '02 GMC Jimmy, purchased via the program, which is 6 months from being paid off, has 115K miles on it and has NEVER had a single problem, was obtained at 4.75% interest, so we figure we'll get about the same rate for the new one.

So, which would you buy? I have no problem with a two-year old GOOD used vehicle, although I really do prefer new.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
From a performance standpoint, a year old CTS-V w/ the LS2 would absolutely destroy anything in the list. But that being said, it's a very difficult vehicle to live with in that it's suspension is rather abusive and it's next to impossible to launch smoothly. It's kind of the anti-Lexus in that regard. The "regular" CTS is much more laid back and with the 3.6L it's not a slouch...but it won't run with the TL or G35. They are good used value, but not so sure I would go new.

Of the list, I think that the Acura TL would be the most "balanced". It has decent power, good economy, has plenty of room, is comfortable and should be pretty reliable. Ride is fairly fun for a FWD car without being abusive. Good value new, but resale is so high that there just isn't much value used.

The G35 is basically a RWD version of the TL with a bit better handling and an engine with a bit more grunt. Decent value new, and a great one used.

The Camry/ES would just be bloated feeling boats and completely numb after driving the first three.

The BMW will probably be the most expensive to own, and is the smallest. Can't beat the driving experience though.

Don't know much about the Volvo.

From a bargain standpoint, a used Maxima or an Altima SE is tought to beat. Good looking(IMHO), roomy, comfortable, very well optioned, and has a great motor in it. For $20k you'll have a tough time doing better.

In this situation you just really need set a defined budget and then look. Is it $20k? $25K? 30K? 35K?

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
How much is a used current-gen STS? Those are sweet . . . droool

Otherwise, I'd go for the Acura. The CTS is nice, but I thought it was surprisingly cramped.

herbiehancock

May 11, 2006
I'm most likely trying to stay between $25-$30K and then use $8-$10K for downpayment to get the payment down to a reasonable level over 3-4 years. Want to keep payments sub-$600/mo.

With our purchase plan, our price for most new vehicles is far below the "invoice" the dealers show you.....take the Caddy CTS, for example. The base for the 2.8 is $29K+ w/o options. The "invoice" is supposedly just over $27K, but we've already been to a Caddy dealer and seen the purchase plan price (have to show them our supplier certificate to see the price) and it was just a hair over $25K.

If that sort of trend is consistent, the $25-$30K list price range is entirely workable for us. For used, I really don't want to go above $25K.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
you can buy a new CTS-V, but you can only afford a 2-year old Toyota Camry? this does not compute. and BTW, i'd pick the redesigned G35 from that list.

herbiehancock

May 11, 2006
Originally posted by: thomsbrain
you can buy a new CTS-V, but you can only afford a 2-year old Toyota Camry? this does not compute. and BTW, i'd pick the redesigned G35 from that list.

The Camry's location was a mistake, but since my company doesn't have a purchase plan with Toyota (only Honda, Nissan, GM, Ford, and Chrysler), I'd rather use my purchasing power for new cars on the ones I can get a substantial discount upon.

Yes, we can afford a new Camry, but since we can get a good deal off a Honda/Acura or Nissan/Infinity, seems rather a waste to buy a new Camry when the other companies' cars would actually be a better deal overall, which is why while we can most assuredly purchase a new Camry, a used one, more like a dealer-demo unit with a fair drip in price, is more along the lines of what we'd look for in our non-purchasing program cars.

Why waste the purchasing power when we can use it? Then again, if we find a dealer-demo unit from any of the aforementioned cars, with a likewise deep enough discount, the program be damned.

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
New Infinity G35 ftw. Will give you the most grunt and is brand new. It looks stunning as well.