YACT: which car for 10K

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 9, 1999
Good mileage: Focus - 30MPG (regular) its half decent i say - 27 with the AC on.. about 33 on the highway..

Cheap to insure - well i think its cheap.. with my coverage i am paying 1800/yr full coverage 300K liablity and all options

dependable - so far hasnt let me down.. I got it with 14K on the clock 16 or so months ago.. I have 62K on it right now.

Power.. 110HP/125ft/lb.. Mine is the SPI, the Ztech has 130HP/135ft/lb

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: shady06
i would instantly purchase a 98-00 accord but i cant find anything in that range with less than 100k

i dont mind if the millage is high, but 100k is waaaaay to high. looking to get something along the lines of 70k at the most
You're kidding, right? My '88 went 217,000 miles and was still running perfectly when I sold it (I live in the midwest, the poor thing rusted right through). Even with 100,000 miles on the clock, a well-maintained Accord should still have at least 100,000 miles left in it. At least.

ZV

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
i would instantly purchase a 98-00 accord but i cant find anything in that range with less than 100k

i dont mind if the millage is high, but 100k is waaaaay to high. looking to get something along the lines of 70k at the most
You're kidding, right? My '88 went 217,000 miles and was still running perfectly when I sold it (I live in the midwest, the poor thing rusted right through). Even with 100,000 miles on the clock, a well-maintained Accord should still have at least 100,000 miles left in it. At least.

ZV
Yeah they'll take miles without complaining, but why buy a slow accord when a max can be had :) And those VQ engines consistently win awards, so it's not like he's buy a domestic :D

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb

ZV
Yeah they'll take miles without complaining, but why buy a slow accord when a max can be had :) And those VQ engines consistently win awards, so it's not like he's buy a domestic :D
Eh, I cannot stand the interior on my mother's '98 Maxima. The transmission leaves something to be desired too. The Maxima functioned just fine and went fairly strongly in the straight line, but the interior was/is junk. Simple junk. When the Maxima was brand new, the controls had less tactile feel and overall just plain felt more sloppy than the controls of my then-ten-year-old Accord. Nissan's fit and finish and quality control just aren't even close to Honda's.

ZV

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb

ZV
Eh, I cannot stand the interior on my mother's '98 Maxima. The transmission leaves something to be desired too. The Maxima functioned just fine and went fairly strongly in the straight line, but the interior was/is junk. Simple junk. When the Maxima was brand new, the controls had less tactile feel and overall just plain felt more sloppy than the controls of my then-ten-year-old Accord. Nissan's fit and finish and quality control just aren't even close to Honda's.

ZV
Function over form. The accord is as slow as the maxima's interior is bad :)

KokomoGST

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2001
Hmm... insurance... that rules out anything with a turbo. :(

The 240SX and 300ZX and Maxima have already been mentioned. Add the Sentra SE-R to that list of Nissans.

Honda fanbois should rattle off the Integra as well. (It did come with 4drs)

Toyota Appliance... I mean Camry.

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
2nd generation Acura Legend (if you want automatic) <-- decent gas milage
4th generation Nissan Maxima (if you want stick) <-- no idea on gas milage

Red

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2002
I vote 4th gen Max... or Infinity I30. I just bought a '97 Infiniti I30 w/ 108k miles for $6800. The same dealership sold a '96 w/ 90k for the same price two weeks before mine. 100k miles on a VQ is nothing. You won't go wrong with an Accord either.

Stay away from Camrys. I test drove a couple before I bought the I30. Appliance is right.