YACT: What would you do?

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
I have been asked to help restore a 1967 Mustang GT 390 V8, like the one in the movie Bullet. The car is very rough, but is an original 390 GT car. I have received the drive train for a complete overhaul and refit. While I was in the process of tearing down the engine for a inspection I discovered that the engine is really a 428 block with early 390 heads. Here is the problem; the customer wants an original engine to this car which he does not have but I do have a 67 390 GT engine.

Should I swap the engines, my 390 for his 428, and not tell him anything. Or should I tell him that his engine is not original but I could locate one for him for a small fee plus the cost of the engine.

If I choose the later I will take the value of the 428 engine off the cost of the repairs.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Tell the customer. Why hide things from him? If you have to ask, it is probably shady.

Do the latter. As a mechanic, you want him to trust you to tell him exactly what's going on with his vehicles. Not telling him would be a mistake, IMHO.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
Tell the customer. Why hide things from him? If you have to ask, it is probably shady.
The only reason I would not tell him is because I have had guys go nuts when they find out their "baby" isn't all original like the previous owner told them.

I don?t need another 428; in fact I have several waiting for a good home right now. I only have one complete 390 GT engine and it happens to be out of a 1967 Mustang GT.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Tell him it's not an original - he deserves to know the truth. Since you happen to have a 390 engine you can mention that you know of one that's available for a small extra fee. And what did you mean take the value off the 428 off the repairs?

freakflag

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2001
Tell him the truth. He is not in posession of the numerically matching original engine, therefor, simply putting in a 390 will not increase the value of the vehicle as much as having a 428 in it would. Then track him down some Cobra Jet heads and make him the happiest guy on his block. :) :beer:

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Originally posted by: jumpr
Do the latter. As a mechanic, you want him to trust you to tell him exactly what's going on with his vehicles. Not telling him would be a mistake, IMHO.
Listen to him

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Tell him it's not an original - he deserves to know the truth. Since you happen to have a 390 engine you can mention that you know of one that's available for a small extra fee. And what did you mean take the value off the 428 off the repairs?
Given the condition of the 428 engine I would be willing to take a few hundreds dollar off the bill if he doesn't want it.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: freakflag
Tell him the truth. He is not in posession of the numerically matching original engine, therefor, simply putting in a 390 will not increase the value of the vehicle as much as having a 428 in it would. Then track him down some Cobra Jet heads and make him the happiest guy on his block. :) :beer:
First the only Ford cars that had matching numbers on their engines were the 302 & 429 Bosses. All other Ford High Performance cars did not have "matching number" like a lot of GM and Chrysler vehicles.

Secondly, since the car is an original 390 GT model leaving the 428 engine in it will decrease the value more than replacing it with the correct engine.

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
Charge him a finder's fee for an engine you already have? That's chickensh!t. Just sell him your 390 outright.

Honesty is the ONLY policy.