YACT: What would cause the radio fuse to keep on blowing?

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Recently my car got broken into and my aftermarket HU stolen, basically ripped out of the dash.

Anyhow, I tried to install a new HU last night, and the cigarette light adapter/ radio fuse (shared) was blown. I replaced it, tested it with my car cell phone charger to make sure that it worked, and went to bed. Now, its blown again, because my charger won't work. I had not used the cigarette adapter since last night.

What could be causing this??

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Maybe when they ripped the stereo out some wires behind the dash got pinched or stipped and are sometimes shorting out. I'd poke around under the dash and try to trace the +12v wire.

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
The thing is after I tested the fuse I didn't use it.

could it still short out then?

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I mean.... after I tested it, and it worked, I didn't use it, meaning I just went to bed. Got up and drove to work, didn't use the car charger. After work i tested it again and it was blown again

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Sure there's always power going to the radio if the ignition is on, if the wiring harness moves when you hit a bump or pothole and arcs to ground it would blow the fuse.

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Ok, so, say it is the car's wiring harness.

Can it be replaced, or will I have to take it to the dealer or audio place to have it replaced?

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Lol that was just a wild guess man, if anything I'd guess the insulation was just stripped or damaged at some point close the radio and could be fixed with a quick wrap with electrical tape. I'd take a look with a flashlight for obvious damage or let the stereo shop take a look at it.