YACT - what might be wrong

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999
The car in question Camry '98 - auto.

When I stopped at the redlight or stop sign and start again - sometime the petal seems to stuck, i.e. step on the petal to start the car rolling slowly but car didn't go anywhere. I had to push the petal harder then the car kind accelerate too fast and sometime I have to do a hard brake if there are cars infornt of me. It had no problem while cruising. Any ideas what causing it?

I will try to take it in a shop for a look this weekend. Anyone know of a good car shop around the Seatac, southcenter, burien area (Washington)? I usually bring my car into the car dealer or presion tune up and got rape by the price. :( Since this is a pretty old car, I don't want to spend too much on it by bring it to those places. Thx.

Jahee

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2006
Your post is hard to understand.. But could be a sticky throttle cable or something?

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999
Originally posted by: Jahee
Your post is hard to understand.. But could be a sticky throttle cable or something?

Hmm... let me try again. Car seems to have no problem while driving (i.e. in motion). But when I have to do a full stop and start again, the acceleration petal seems to stuck. I have to step hard on it, then the car jerks forward. If I was behind some car when this happen, I have to step on the brake because I got to close for comfort. :p

MaxFusion16

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2001
does the engine rev normally when you do this?

I imagine it could be the first gear slipping.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i had a problem where i wouldn't get much power out of my car and it wouldn't let me go more than 55mph. ended up being a clogged catalytic converter (or so the shop said). they replaced it and luckily it was still under warranty so i didn't have to pay.

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999
After google throtle cable sticking, it seems that might be the problem I experiencing. Does it cost alot to fix this and how long the job usually take? thx.

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999
Originally posted by: MaxFusion16
does the engine rev normally when you do this?

I imagine it could be the first gear slipping.

Nope. The car didn't rev - only when I press hard and the car jerks forward does rev.

leftyman

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Originally posted by: crystal
After google throtle cable sticking, it seems that might be the problem I experiencing. Does it cost alot to fix this and how long the job usually take? thx.

that you will need to call a garage, although I dont think it is costly or time consuming..$100-$150 a day at the most.

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999
Originally posted by: leftyman
Originally posted by: crystal

that you will need to call a garage, although I dont think it is costly or time consuming..$100-$150 a day at the most.

$100-$150 is not too bad. Just wants to know the ball park figure so I could steer clear of shops that quote me for $500+. thx.

Crucial

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Posts like this scare me. How many other people are driving unsafe cars like this on the road? This car should be sitting in your driveway until you get it fixed. What happens when your gas pedal sticks all the way down and you plow into some old lady croosing the street or smash into a car stopped at a stop light?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Crucial
Posts like this scare me. How many other people are driving unsafe cars like this on the road? This car should be sitting in your driveway until you get it fixed. What happens when your gas pedal sticks all the way down and you plow into some old lady croosing the street or smash into a car stopped at a stop light?

You don't want to know. Try not to think about it and you'll be fine :p

KMc

Golden Member
Jan 26, 2007
It may be the cable or it might be the throttle linkage or the throttle plate itself. I've had this exact problem on two different vehicles in the past and it turned out to be the throttle plate in both cases.