YACT: What do you think of Celicas?

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
My brother was interested in a nice daily driver. After at least a month of switching his mind back and forth, He brought up an SVT Focus. He likes to autocross as well, but IMO, he really doesn't need another autocross car. He has his Trans-Am he wants to keep, but its too expensive for daily driving.

I don't know how or why he considered an SVT Focus for $12k. I suggested an Acura TL instead, but he said there were too many miles on them. Then he wanted to be picky and say something newer than 2000, with not alot of miles. So I looked up 2000-2002 Celica, they seem to be within the price range, and IMO a better/nicer car than a Focus.

Meanwhile, after reading stuff, he decided to stay away from the Celica, and now I realize, well, they aren't too far off my price range, as I've been looking at another car for a while. I have always been fond of big muscle Camaros/Trans Am's for a while, but my current car (A 97 Saturn SC2) is very light, small and nimble. I really like that. It weighs a little over 2300lbs, and has a pretty good suspension, but really lacks in power. The Celica GT weighs a little over 2400, and the Celica GT-S weighs 2500lbs. So, its not too far off my cars weight, and the Celica should handle better. The Celica GT has 140hp, and the Celica GT-S has 180hp. IMO, the Celica GT-S looks better (nicer wheels).

What do you guys think of them? I'm not too fond of the steering wheel, it looks like something from the early 90's, but the rest of the car is nice. I don't like the new 2003/2004 front ends, so I am fond of sticking to the 2000-2002s (plus, they are cheaper). I like to go autocrossing as well, but theres a good chance I'd trade my current car in (or sell it) to help with the down payment, so it must be a pretty decent daily driver.

The main problems I've heard about the car is, with the GT-S, it has a sloppy 6th speed, and you will often find yourself choosing the wrong gear when trying to shift. Also read that torque only really kicks in at 5000+ rpms, and thats the time you must shift again anyway, back into the no torque zone. Though, I'm not sure if thats a problem for me. My Saturn (automatic) peaks out 120lbs of torque, and I'm often launching much faster and keeping in first longer (probally up to 4k rpm)than most anyway.

I cannot find any reviews on the regular GT, but I'd probally take the GT-S anyway if I had the choice, and there isn't much of a price difference between the models.

Celica GT-S Review from Edmunds

EDIT: My budget shouldn't be over 12k. I know this is a chick car. I would definatly take an RSX over a Celica, but I can't find any in my price range.

EDIT2: Edmunds says the car doesn't even have keyless entry... thats gotta be a lie. My Saturn has Keyless entry. My brother's 93 Trans-Am has keyless entry. Someone confirm this for me?

Vortex22

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2000
Widely considered girly cars, but if you don't give a crap, they're nice. RSX is better though :p

Heh you edited with exactly what I said as I posted it.

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
Originally posted by: Vortex22
Widely considered girly cars, but if you don't give a crap, they're nice. RSX is better though :p

Heh you edited with exactly what I said as I posted it.

Yeah, I had a feeling that was going to come. Of course the RSX is a nicer car (though, the Celica beats it on the race course). But they are too new (2002+), and more expensive. They are definatly chick cars though, but I still feel its a nice car, and I wouldn't mind driving one.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I'm not impressed by the engine or the styling. RSX please!

BTW, the only Celicas I like are the 87-93 All-Trac Turbos:D

djdrastic

Dec 4, 2002
Good Cars , recently been facelifted , which you can always use to bargain hunt for a good condition "old" model.

It will be discontinued in early 2005 , TTE were not impressed by the styling cues used by the American Team . The 2ZJE engine (I think , thats the one) is a bit fragile on the early models . Buy warily , you dont want to get a wannabe street racers car . Idiots seem to think car motors are designed to be revved to 8000 rpm from new ....

There is no imminent replacement for it , so history might either see it as the "sell out" celica since there were no all-trac / turbo + 4wd prod cars built for it or it might go down as the end of a legend. I really haven't read anything about toyota even thinking about a relpacement.

I think the car kinda suffers from what happened to the z's later on , relying on previous years' motorsport / sales success to sell the cars.I'd either suggest you take you time and look for a good one [please please please note my warning in this reply] or wait on an see what depreciation + toyota do later on with this car.

mdcrab

Platinum Member
Feb 9, 2001
Gonna be hard to find an RSX for $12K unless it's wrecked or you wait a few years.

mdcrab

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
Originally posted by: NutBucket
I'm not impressed by the engine or the styling. RSX please!

BTW, the only Celicas I like are the 87-93 All-Trac Turbos:D

180HP from a N/A 4 cylinder isn't bad at all. 7800 rpm (8000 is still possible :D) makes me happy. Engine is fine IMO.

As I've said in my other 2 posts, RSX is too expensive. Plus, the Celica beats it autocrossing.

I need something newer than my car so I can get a loan on it.

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
Originally posted by: djdrastic
Good Cars , recently been facelifted , which you can always use to bargain hunt for a good condition "old" model.

It will be discontinued in early 2005 , TTE were not impressed by the styling cues used by the American Team . The 2ZJE engine (I think , thats the one) is a bit fragile on the early models . Buy warily , you dont want to get a wannabe street racers car . Idiots seem to think car motors are designed to be revved to 8000 rpm from new ....

I really don't like the front end on the newer ones, so I think I'm okay in that regard. I might be able to use that as a bargaining chip.

They're going to replace the Celica with a new generation in 2005 or drop the name completely? I would imagine a redesign as the Celica is a pretty big name, sells quite a few, and has been around forever.

The engines are fragile on the early models? 2000? 2001? What was wrong with them?

I agree with trying to find one in good condition with all the street racers out there... going to be hard to find one taken care of.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Actaeon

I really don't like the front end on the newer ones, so I think I'm okay in that regard. I might be able to use that as a bargaining chip.

They're going to replace the Celica with a new generation in 2005 or drop the name completely? I would imagine a redesign as the Celica is a pretty big name, sells quite a few, and has been around forever.

The engines are fragile on the early models? 2000? 2001? What was wrong with them?

I agree with trying to find one in good condition with all the street racers out there... going to be hard to find one taken care of.

They had the rev-limiter set too high and they gernaded. The fix was lowering the rev-limiter in later cars. Good engines eh?:p

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000

They had the rev-limiter set too high and they gernaded. The fix was lowering the rev-limiter in later cars. Good engines eh?:p

I wouldn't call that a fault with the engine. Obviously cars shouldn't be pushed past redline (though, 8k is probally safe in the car), or even taken to the rev limiter. Fault lies to the enginer who set the rev limiter in the first place.

EDIT: Or fault lies to the dumbass who pushed it to the rev limiter one too many times.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000

I wouldn't call that a fault with the engine. Obviously cars shouldn't be pushed past redline (though, 8k is probally safe in the car), or even taken to the rev limiter. Fault lies to the enginer who set the rev limiter in the first place.

EDIT: Or fault lies to the dumbass who pushed it to the rev limiter one too many times.

Ionno. I feel perfectly comfortable taking my car to the rev-limter every so often:) If it couldn't spin that fast safely they should have lowered the rev-limiter;)

djdrastic

Dec 4, 2002
The early models seemed to have problems with belts as well as intermittent oil pump failures.Also what Nutbucket said , the RPM was set to high and idiots were flooring the sh!t out of their poor 1000 mile old engines.

We are still waiting for Toyotas decision on the Celica , you might go around browsing the Celica forums , and ask around a bit. As far as I know , none of the big car mags have said anything about a replacement for the Celica.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
In bone stock form, the SVT Focus would tear the Celica a new one on the autocross track. It's a peppy and hell of a lot of fun to drive car. I don't know how he'd get one for $12K unless it was used though. The Celica seems like a decent enough car but the only ones I see are driven by chicks or riced out by stupid teenage punks.

djdrastic

Dec 4, 2002

Ionno. I feel perfectly comfortable taking my car to the rev-limter every so often:) If it couldn't spin that fast safely they should have lowered the rev-limiter;)

The problem is driving a car that hard with a severely unlubricated engine , is just asking for trouble. I've always asked myslef why dont manufacturers with these VVT type engines drive them in with at least 4k on the clock or so.

Would love someone , to give me the answer to that [It would probably come down to economics I'd guess]

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000

The problem is driving a car that hard with a severely unlubricated engine , is just asking for trouble. I've always asked myslef why dont manufacturers with these VVT type engines drive them in with at least 4k on the clock or so.

Would love someone , to give me the answer to that [It would probably come down to economics I'd guess]

It'd cost a lot of money to break-in an engine like that. Besides, then it would be "used" and people don't like that idea when buying new cars. Personally, I'd love it if the engine was properly broken in when I drove it off the lot. I could floor it off the lot and feel great!

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
In bone stock form, the SVT Focus would tear the Celica a new one on the autocross track. It's a peppy and hell of a lot of fun to drive car. I don't know how he'd get one for $12K unless it was used though. The Celica seems like a decent enough car but the only ones I see are driven by chicks or riced out by stupid teenage punks.

Yeah, he saw a 2002 for 12k. You sure about the autocross comparison? The Celica GT-S weighs 250lbs less, has more power, beats it acceleration wise, and brakes better. Also, since its a Ford, it will depreciate quicker, and as most people would say, Fords quality isn't on par with Toyota.

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000

It'd cost a lot of money to break-in an engine like that. Besides, then it would be "used" and people don't like that idea when buying new cars. Personally, I'd love it if the engine was properly broken in when I drove it off the lot. I could floor it off the lot and feel great!

So you guys think if I picked up a used one (with some miles on it), it wouldn't have this problem? If the problem is that bad, I can settle for a 2002.

But like my brother, I change my mind every other day... so knowing me, I'll soon be forgetting about a Celica and on to something else.

djdrastic

Dec 4, 2002

Hmmmm , the Focus Suspension is brilliant gotta hand it to you , Im not sure if the smaller details [fit and finish etc] are up to the Celicas standard. Its a bit of a trade-of I'd guess , If im not mistaken the Celica has a bit more power though the way it delivers power is not ideal .

Go hit some BB's , check if theres any meetings or shows coming up for the celica , and learn more. I've met some very important people , even though I never even ended up on buy said model of car.

I can only give you the limited info , that I've experienced with them first hand.

And most importantly , love cars for what they are , and not where they come from !

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000

So you guys think if I picked up a used one (with some miles on it), it wouldn't have this problem? If the problem is that bad, I can settle for a 2002.

But like my brother, I change my mind every other day... so knowing me, I'll soon be forgetting about a Celica and on to something else.

No. You still don't know how it was broken in. You really take a gamble buying cars like this. I took a real gamble buying the motor that's now in my car. As it seems my gamble paid off just fine. Just keep in mind you're buying a car that was most likely driven hard. There are those rare owners that won't push their cars (I know of a guy with a GT-S who never revved past 5k except maybe once a month or so). Good luck trying to discern one from the other.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003

Yeah, he saw a 2002 for 12k. You sure about the autocross comparison? The Celica GT-S weighs 250lbs less, has more power, beats it acceleration wise, and brakes better. Also, since its a Ford, it will depreciate quicker, and as most people would say, Fords quality isn't on par with Toyota.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/100452/page002.html

The SVT Focus is known for it's bad ass handling and suspension setup. Even djdrastic hit on that. And yes he might be right in the overall quality part of it - the Celica would get the edge there. It just depends on what your brother is looking for overall in the car.

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/100452/page002.html

The SVT Focus is known for it's bad ass handling and suspension setup. Even djdrastic hit on that. And yes he might be right in the overall quality part of it - the Celica would get the edge there. It just depends on what your brother is looking for overall in the car.

Its no longer about my brother... its for me now :)

From both edmunds reviews, the stats say the Celica accelerates better and brakes better. Plus its 250lbs lighter. I know the Focus suspension is really good on the Hatchbacks, but I'm not quite sure if the SVT Focus would "tear the Celica a new one".

djdrastic

Dec 4, 2002
It's one thing talking about the cars , its another thing driving them :D

Go and organise a test drive with your local ford and toyota second hand dealers and organise a test drive. Ps the focus is going to be replaced very very soon , which will use the same chassis platform as used by the new Mazda3 , just letting ya know.

Report back to us , on what you've found .Also found out the average price of servicing average return value.Like I previously said the focii will be placed soon so resale value might be affected slightly because of this development.

What I normally do If im interested in a car , I tend to hook up with a guy from a bbs , buy him a free round of beer and we both go and inspect the vehicle .I've saved a crap load of money using this technique , since your using another guys superior knowledge of a certain product to save you $$$

oLLie

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2001
I think the Celica is an under-rated car. I don't know too much about it but 100 HP/Liter is very good. Not many car manufacturer's can achieve that (I know Honda is one of them). Seems to be a pretty good choice to me.

Ollie

*edit* wow, pretty light car too 2500 lb (manual)

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I think that they're neat cars. The one that I test drove felt a little cramped to me, but it handled well and was suprisingly quick.