YACT: Welp, I'm about to go sign papers on my "new" car...

Red

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2002
Well, I finally found what I would consider a good deal:

*1997 Infiniti I30. 108k miles. White, with beige leather interior/sun roof/etc. Price: $6800
*Warranty is a 36 month, unlimited mile contract that covers: Engine, Transmission, Differential, Cooling System, Steering, Suspension, Brakes, Electrical, Rental Car, Towing, and Labor. $100 deductible. $950
*Dealership is repainting the bumper (it was scratched) and replacing the right front fog lens

Out the door price (car, warranty, painting bumper and fixing lens, tax, title fees): $8315.70

I need to call my insurance again to verify my premium again, but basically I save about $2000 over four years in insurance with this car as well.

I will update with pictures ASAP when/if I take the plunge with this Maxima/I30 =)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
It's a very good price on the car. Was it checked out? I'd hop on one of those if they didn't come only in autotragic :(

MomAndSkoorbaby

Diamond Member
May 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
It's a very good price on the car. Was it checked out? I'd hop on one of those if they didn't come only in autotragic :(

Autotragic...that's just too funny.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Redhotjrm
They don't only come in autos:

eBay
Well bend me over and call me Beckam, by God you're right. Damned hard to find in manual, I'm sure, but this is good news for me!!! Sadly only 12 available in the US right now, and none within any proximity. It's a hard car to find :(

I wonder if it would take a maxima tranny, if it needed replacing.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
I'll believe it when I see pictures of redhotjrm standing next to the car holding up a sign saying "this is my new car"

Red

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2002
Originally posted by: Mwilding
I'll believe it when I see pictures of redhotjrm standing next to the car holding up a sign saying "this is my new car"

Yes, I probably will need the same self-assurance =)

This is kinda of weird: I called my credit union and told them I'd like to buy the car for $8315.70 out the door. She said they can pay up to $7950 (kelly blue book). She said I'd have to come up with the $365.70 difference OR try to get them to knock another $365 off (which I know the salesmen can't do) OR not buy the warranty OR talk to the main finance person and ask them to give me the $365 wiggle room, which I am going to try to do.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

I hope for his sake he doesn't, but we've already said plenty to dissuade him.

Viper GTS

Red

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2002
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

Viper GTS

UHhg I keep trying to tell you Vipe, this isn't a "verge of bankruptcy" I need a $1000 car kinda of thing. I wanted a nice car than my Honda and wanted to save money at the same time. And I can afford it. Whenever anyone else here posts about buying a new car, noone jumps on them and says "you're stupid for buying a car that is a depreciation pit and you could have saved a ton of money buying something cheaper" yada yada. Please give me some support! =)

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Viper GTS

UHhg I keep trying to tell you Vipe, this isn't a "verge of bankruptcy" I need a $1000 car kinda of thing. I wanted a nice car than my Honda and wanted to save money at the same time. And I can afford it. Whenever anyone else here posts about buying a new car, noone jumps on them and says "you're stupid for buying a car that is a depreciation pit and you could have saved a ton of money buying something cheaper" yada yada. Please give me some support! =)

Actually I do that in new car threads when I think there's a chance in hell they'll listen. :)

As I said, I've done plenty to attempt to dissuade you. If you think driving a $1000 car means you're on the verge of bankruptcy you haven't truly listened to what people have told you.

Carry on.

Viper GTS

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002

Viper GTS

I do this all the time. I never support people trying to buy a new car.
Look at Skoorbs/MrsSkoorbs thread about the Sentra yesterday.

Cars are money pits. I love cars. I work in the automotive industry. I enjoy teh technology in new cars, and I have a passion for old cars. But, despite this, I drive a 12 year old pickup that I paid cash for, and my wife drives a two year old sedan that I got a good deal on along with 0% financing. I have no other cars. There are so many ways that you can spend your money and make it work for you in the long-run. OBviously contributing to interest bearing accounts will, but doing improvements to your home, paying off debts earlier, or paying for additional education for yourself will benefit you in the long run whereas buying a Nissan with 100,000 miles won't.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: FelixDeKat
100,000 miles !!!

Oh - my -gosh.

My car had 250 miles last month. :music:
Newb. Mine is a few mines short of 180k!!

I buy a new car every two years. Ive had 14 since 1988. My newest one is a 2003 model purchased in Feb 2004 for $7000 off sticker!

I cant help it. Im addicted to that "new car smell".
rose.gif
:p

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
100,000 miles !!!

Oh - my -gosh.

I buy a new car every two years. Ive had 14 since 1988. My newest one is a 2003 model purchased in Feb 2004 for $7000 off sticker!

rose.gif

That is a very expensive habit you have there.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
100,000 miles !!!

Oh - my -gosh.

rose.gif

7k off sticker > depreciation probably.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999

They came in 5-spds. And Maxima 5-spds tranny bolt rihgt in. Tons of manual I30s are out there, and there are converted ones as well. Plus u get the wonderful VLSD diferential.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: mAdD INDIAN

They came in 5-spds. And Maxima 5-spds tranny bolt rihgt in. Tons of manual I30s are out there, and there are converted ones as well. Plus u get the wonderful VLSD diferential.
I can't find any in alabama at all :(

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
100,000 miles !!!

Oh - my -gosh.

rose.gif

No kidding. I keep details on every one of them. Ive spent about $150,00 on cars.
:Q

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
100,000 miles !!!

Oh - my -gosh.

rose.gif

No kidding. I keep details on every one of them. Ive spent about $150,00 on cars.
:Q
If you could do it again would you have driven a beater for the last 1.5 decades and now be driving around a brand new 911 turbo?

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Skoorb

If you could do it again would you have driven a beater for the last 1.5 decades and now be driving around a brand new 911 turbo?

In short, yes. Ive owned a Porsche. It was lemon - electrically (like most german cars) and mechanically. For some reason it just grew on me however. Perhaps because it looked so damn tight!

I drive cars to get compliments. With my current car, people tell me all the time how nice it is. Kids will fight between each other to say which will one own one in the future. Or they will shout to their parents, "thats what we should get". Another time I had a woman flash her breasts just to get my attention, and thats just a Miata!

Back when I was a senior in high school I was a valet. I drove Rolls Royce & Ferrari. In the Ferrari I felt like a superstar. Everyone was looking at the car and me. A 6ft tall blonde women bent all the way down in her tight dress and strarted fussing w/her just to see who was driving on that night.

Another time I was just standing in front of Lotus that parked in our lot and some lady rolled down her window and proposed - Ive had the bug ever since :cool:

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Skoorb

In short, yes. Ive owned a Porsche. It was lemon - electrically (like most german cars) and mechanically. For some reason it just grew on me however. Perhaps because it looked so damn tight!

I drive cars to get compliments. With my current car, people tell me all the time how nice it is. Kids will fight between each other to say which will one own one in the future. Or they will shout to their parents, "thats what we should get". Another time I had a woman flash her breasts just to get my attention, and thats just a Miata!

Back when I was a senior in high school I was a valet. I drove Rolls Royce & Ferrari. In the Ferrari I felt like a superstar. Everyone was looking at the car and me. A 6ft tall blonde women bent all the way down in her tight dress and strarted fussing w/her just to see who was driving on that night.

Another time I was just standing in front of Lotus that parked in our lot and some lady rolled down her window and proposed - Ive had the bug ever since :cool:
those stories would be so much better if you got laid in them...

skypilot

Golden Member
Mar 20, 2000
Skoorb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another time I was just standing in front of Lotus that parked in our lot and some lady rolled down her window and proposed - Ive had the bug ever since

That just seems kind of sad to me.