YACT: Transmission fluids change?

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
I was told I should have my transmission fluid changed "every 30k miles"...im coming up on that point now, how much does this usually cost? (I have a 99 nissan sentra) When I call around, what should I ask for?

SaintGRW

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2001
no clue about your car... I got my fluids changed along with oil change for ~120 when I got the car. so i'd say expect ~$75 for a flush and new fluids.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
In an automatic, yes. In a manual you can go longer. It shouldn't cost more than $100 if you do it at a quick lube place, and probably a good bit less. You can call around and simply ask for an automatic transmission flush. Presumably they'll refill it with new fluid, after flushing :)

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
(likely urban legend, but) I've heard that it can sometimes be bad to change the transmission fluid on older (automatic) cars once you get to a certain point. Is there any truth to this?

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Originally posted by: AntMan530
Go to Midas. They do it and they have some coupons on their site.

I don't know. I tend to stay away from those sorts of places. All the people ive seen at places like Jiffy Lube and Midas look like dumbasses.

SaintGRW

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2001
Originally posted by: BillGates
(likely urban legend, but) I've heard that it can sometimes be bad to change the transmission fluid on older (automatic) cars once you get to a certain point. Is there any truth to this?

if the fluid is BLACK do NOT change it. changing it will cause the automatic tranny to seize up...pretty much that's the point of no return. the tranny is dead but will run with that fluid...just gives you time to find a new tranny or save $$ to get it rebuilt..

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: BillGates
You will not get a straight answer on that here. I've heard that too, and then others will say that there is never anything bad about changing the fluids in a vehicle. To be on the safe side, it would be sage to start doing it when you buy it, so that you never have to worry about whether your 150k mile tranny fluid should be swapped or not.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy

I don't know. I tend to stay away from those sorts of places. All the people ive seen at places like Jiffy Lube and Midas look like dumbasses.
Go to a local mechanic then, or a nissan dealership even. They may not ream you too bad on the change, as long as you don't let them upsell you on other crap you don't need, like changing your blinker light fluid.

AntMan530

Dec 22, 2000

its not hard to do. i would say its on the same level as an oil change, so you should check it out. get the hanes manual. its easier than changing your brake pads for sure though. :) save yourself like 50 bucks in labor.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Skoorb

Go to a local mechanic then, or a nissan dealership even. They may not ream you too bad on the change, as long as you don't let them upsell you on other crap you don't need, like changing your blinker light fluid.

Thanks. I Just needed to know what it was called so I didn't sound like a dumbass when I started calling around for prices. That and I wanted to know how much it should cost. :D

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003

its not hard to do. i would say its on the same level as an oil change, so you should check it out. get the hanes manual. its easier than changing your brake pads for sure though. :) save yourself like 50 bucks in labor.

I've never changed my own oil. I don't have a garage, or access to one. I would have no idea what to do with the old fluids. I also would have no idea what to do. I also do not own tools that would be required to do the job. :D

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

I've never changed my own oil. I don't have a garage, or access to one. I would have no idea what to do with the old fluids. I also would have no idea what to do. I also do not own tools that would be required to do the job. :D
The old fluids should be taken to a street with a hill, let run down, and light them (then run).

AntMan530

Dec 22, 2000

I know what you mean. its fairly inexpensive plus its convenient to go to the shop and have it done. no mistakes etc...of buying wrong stuff etc.. good luck though..

bigd480

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2000
automatic? go to jiffy lube - they have a "T-tech" or something machine that pumps out all the old fluid and replaces it with new (for example on my maxima it's about 10qts or something and doing a drain/fill would have only done about half)

manual? about as tough as changing oil - maybe a little more if you're not mechanically inclined... remove the fill plug first so you know you can get it out (if it's seized and you've already drained it you're screwed) then remove the drain plug, let it drain completely, refill through fill plug (a fluid pump is helpful here, or a long piece of plastic tubing and a funnel) quantity to fill should be in the manual but usually they're designed to be filled up to the point where they'll leak out of the fill plug assuming the car is level, - re-tighten fill/drain plugs to appropriate torque values - this is basically how it was done for my 300ZX but my drain bolt was in too tight and I didn't have air tools so I had to take it to a shop ($35, brought my own synthetic fluid)