YACT: Subaru recalls 127,000 cars in US

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040316/autos_recall_1.html

Subaru recalls cars in U.S. due to cruise control
Tuesday March 16, 7:02 pm ET

DETROIT, March 16 (Reuters) - Subaru said on Tuesday it was recalling an estimated 127,580 vehicles sold in the United States because of a possible defect in their cruise control system that can leave throttles sticking wide open.

"This condition could occur at any time without prior notice and control of the vehicle could be affected," the automaker, a unit of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (Tokyo:7270.T - News), said in a statement.

It identified vehicles affected by the recall as certain Subaru Outback H-6 and Imprenza WRX turbo vehicles from the 2001-2004 model years.

No accidents or injuries have been reported in connection with the problem, which occurs when a wayward cruise control cable on the vehicles comes out of its track, the company said.
This could happen whether the cruise control is on or not. Nice to see Subaru fixing an issue before anyone even has a problem with it.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Cruise control is standard in all WRX's, regardless of transmission.

edit: or else mine wouldn't have it, as I hate cruise control, never use it, and would never pay for it.

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: andylawcc
see, this won't happen if all WRX are manual right? :) :p

All that will happen is you take it out of gear and the engine will hit redline pretty damn quick, and bounce of the rev limiter, unless you turn it off quick you are in risk of damaging your engine. If it does it by itself even without the cruise being on then it's possible that taking it out of gear will not disengage it.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: IshmaelLeaver
Subaru - the engines last forever, the rest of the car falls apart.
They do alright. My sister's 90 Legacy AWD wagon with ~279k miles keeps on rolling along.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Nutbucket, nourdmrolNMT1:
fyleow has the answer - i thought cruise control cannot co-exist with Manual tranmission.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: IshmaelLeaver
Subaru - the engines last forever, the rest of the car falls apart.

no no no, that's Volvo:) Although, my friend's family has an '82 Subaru wagon that just keeps going.

bernse

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
fyleow has the answer - i thought cruise control cannot co-exist with Manual tranmission.

Why would you think that?

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002

not true, my dads Saab is stick and has Cruise control, as soon as u take it out of gear the cruise shuts off

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: bernse
Why would you think that?

somehow I just thought it is mechanically impossible to have the two together.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think there is a good chance we'll get a early 90s Subaru as a fuel saver.

There seems to be quite a few of them in the ~1500$ range, while Hondas and Toyotas in that price range are late 80s.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
Doh! Just when I'm thinking about buying the new Legacy GT...this sort of thing gives me pause...

WHY? Name 1 car that is PERFECT and NEVER has a problem..... thats right it does not exist.

Would you rather they pull a toyota and try and hide it and cover it up or at least say there might be a problem so we are going to take care of it?

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
That would suck. I was driving a car once when the throttle got stuck wide open. The throttle arm got stuck on the side of the carburetor and I ended up turning the engine off doing 85mph... I lost my power steering and power brakes and it was a beast to keep from crashing.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi
That would suck. I was driving a car once when the throttle got stuck wide open. The throttle arm got stuck on the side of the carburetor and I ended up turning the engine off doing 85mph... I lost my power steering and power brakes and it was a beast to keep from crashing.

Heh, that happened to my friend's Mustang. Throttle return spring snapped. Not good;)

And GT, that won't deter me at all from buying a Legacy:)

pcmodem

Golden Member
Feb 6, 2001
GM has influence on Subaru? They have an agreement on technology sharing or marketing or something? I'm not up on corporate alliances lately.

Thanks,
PCM

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: pcmodem
GM has influence on Subaru? They have an agreement on technology sharing or marketing or something? I'm not up on corporate alliances lately.

Thanks,
PCM

GM has a holding in Fuji Heavy Industries (parent company of subaru). If you look you'll see new Saab 9-2 is a rebadged WRX wagon with a Saab front-end. Pretty sad....

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
Doh! Just when I'm thinking about buying the new Legacy GT...this sort of thing gives me pause...

WHY? Name 1 car that is PERFECT and NEVER has a problem..... thats right it does not exist.

Would you rather they pull a toyota and try and hide it and cover it up or at least say there might be a problem so we are going to take care of it?

He has a point, even the most reliable nameplates on the planet often have their problems. For example, even camrys and accords have known problem spots. It's really up to the individual to decide how bad the problem is and how likely it is to affect them.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
why would anyone think that you couldn't have CC on a standard Transmission?? it is not like you are engaging the clutch on the highway......and of course your CC will shut down once you pull the tranny out of gear....