YACT: Subaru Legacy vs. Honda Civic Si

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wheatmaster

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Regs
How about a Mazda Speed 6 AWD? It will run you about 26-28 grand and it's flys like the damn wind.

mazda 6's come in AWD? i didn't know that...

R Nilla

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Wheatmaster
How about a Mazda Speed 6 AWD? It will run you about 26-28 grand and it's flys like the damn wind.

just the Mazdaspeed6, the suped up mazda6.

Wheatmaster

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: R Nilla

just the Mazdaspeed6, the suped up mazda6.

honestly, i would rather take the mazdaspeed3 before the 6

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I know you'll be happy in the Legacy, and probably equally happy in the Civic. So the choice is yours, you can't lose :)

(<- has a nongt legacy 2007)

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
One's a mid-size and one's a compact. Decide what type of car you want before deciding which cars to cross-shop

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Izusaga
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Originally posted by: Izusaga
Legacy, hands down. If you're going to be in a Hawn-duh, make it a motorcycle. The cars are for teenagers and college gearheads. Subaru's are for adults.

Because it's not cool to get >40mpg once you're an "Adult"? :roll:

- M4H

Naah. That wasn't really my angle - and I apologize if it came off that harsh. It's not a cosmetics or a culture thing.. it's more the fact that around here you can't stand still for a few minutes without counting a Civic from pretty much every color in their lineup - but a Legacy or WRX is pretty damn rare.

To me, there are tons of qualities that I look for in a vehicle. Sometimes outside cosmetics, sometimes comfort, build quality, and luxury. I find the biggest satisfaction from having a rather unique car - call me a generation Y attention-seeker, but the fact is when someone does a genuine double-take to see what I'm driving rather than thinking, "Oh, another Civic/Focus/Cobalt/whathaveyou" I get the most satisfaction from that.

On that note, something like an Acura or a Legacy would be far more ideal to me. I would quite simply not purchase a Civic - and if given one I would most likely sell it immediately and buy something else. It's simply my preference and opinion, and I'm not saying there is anything wrong if you disagree or have your own.
Shrug, a lot of people woulds say that's a very teenagerish attitude towards owning a car

amicold

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2005
I've pretty much narrowed my car choices down to:

Subaru Legacy 2.5i
OR
Honda Civic Si

Both cars are really appealing to me because both come in manual and have heard both are very fun to drive. One thing that is really taunting me to buy the Civic Si is how nice it looks on paper and in person. But then again, I'm in the Chicago/Milwaukee Area and that AWD on the Legacy will be extremely helpfully. Argh, choices, choices, choices.

This is a no brainer. Legacy, get the GT spec-B.

dotcom173

Jan 16, 2006
ive driven an 06 si that my friend has. amazing little car (slightly biased since its my "dream car" for my age)

however, my other friends just got an 06 WRX with like 9k miles on it, and i drove that too.

they honestly felt very similar. wrx has more torque, but it wasnt that noticeable since it didnt respond as fast to throttle input (turbo lag?). it was hard to make it up a hill fast with the wrx for some really weird reason. the Si has an amazing shifter and gearing, and a nice feeling clutch.

its up to you, but i would swap in a WRX for that legacy for more of a fair fight.

BMdoobieW

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
I'll be looking at the '08 Legacy GT sedan and '08 Impreza WRX early next year for my next lease.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: dotcom173
ive driven an 06 si that my friend has. amazing little car (slightly biased since its my "dream car" for my age)

however, my other friends just got an 06 WRX with like 9k miles on it, and i drove that too.

they honestly felt very similar. wrx has more torque, but it wasnt that noticeable since it didnt respond as fast to throttle input (turbo lag?). it was hard to make it up a hill fast with the wrx for some really weird reason. the Si has an amazing shifter and gearing, and a nice feeling clutch.

its up to you, but i would swap in a WRX for that legacy for more of a fair fight.

The WRX is faster is pretty much every category. I really don't like the Civic Si because of all the little kids that rev at me in them at every stop light but hell I get that from stang's and other cars too.

dotcom173

Jan 16, 2006
Originally posted by: zerocool84

The WRX is faster is pretty much every category. I really don't like the Civic Si because of all the little kids that rev at me in them at every stop light but hell I get that from stang's and other cars too.

on paper, yes. im going off what i personally felt when driving them. i'd completely agree the rex is faster, but maybe it was a combination of weight/weight distribution, gearing, and rpm range that is affecting how i perceive the speed of the cars. the rex felt more "guttier," if thats even a word, and the Si was more nimble and peppier, despite the fwd vs awd.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: zerocool84

on paper, yes. im going off what i personally felt when driving them. i'd completely agree the rex is faster, but maybe it was a combination of weight/weight distribution, gearing, and rpm range that is affecting how i perceive the speed of the cars. the rex felt more "guttier," if thats even a word, and the Si was more nimble and peppier, despite the fwd vs awd.
That's perfectly understandable. First, it weighs less. Second, it's FWD and not AWD and so it probably feels a bit more "free". Third, the Si is rev happy, that's part of the characteristics. Fourth, as you said, gearing is a factor and it's probably got shorter gears than the WRX.

I've driven both and I'm not sure about the gearing, but I'd say I agree with your thoughts.

The WRX is great, but I'd say that the Si is a bit more "fun" due to it's characteristics I listed above.

Note: I'm not saying the WRX is bad by any means... it's a great car and has a place, these are two very difference cars IMO.