YACT: should i try my 80K mile service myself?

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
I, by no means, am a automotive guru. Im more of an apprentice....starting his apprenticeship.

I have replaced my own rotors and brake pads following instructions and replaced my my own exhaust. Thats about all the work I have done on my car...so far

I have one of These service manuals

and here is the VW 80K mile service

I heard changing the plugs is a breeze on my model (12v VR6)
the things im not sure about are (how hard will these be to perform on my own...following the manual ofcourse)
V-belt/Ribbed Belt - check
V-Belt - check tension/condition
Automatic Shift Lock-check operation
Air Bag System - check function/damage
Manual Transmission - check for leaks
Driveshaft - check boots
On Board Diagnostics -check Diagnostic Trouble Code memory
Front Axle - check dust seals, ball joints, tie rods

KenSr

Golden Member
Sep 21, 2003
Go for it.
The only thing that I can see that may not be able to do is...
On Board Diagnostics -check Diagnostic Trouble Code memory

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
The only thing it looks like you have to actually do are change the oil, air filter, and spark plugs. Everything else is just a "check on it" thing. If you can change rotors and pads and do exhaust, this should be easy.

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
Definatelty do it yourself. For the fuel filter, you'll need new clamps; do not get worm type clamps you have to get the fuel line type clamps.

Most of the maintenence stuff you can buy from here: Importec parts. There are other sites out there that sell stuff like alloemautoparts and ECS Tuning

If its been two years you should replace the brake fluid regardless of milage, brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture and moisture in your brake lines is bad. This is something you may want to bring to the dealer for. Did you service the brake fluid when you changed out the pads and rotors? Also at 80k miles, not a bad idea to have the alignment checked out as well.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: TechnoKid
Definatelty do it yourself. For the fuel filter, you'll need new clamps; do not get worm type clamps you have to get the fuel line type clamps.

Most of the maintenence stuff you can buy from here: Importec parts. There are other sites out there that sell stuff like alloemautoparts and ECS Tuning

If its been two years you should replace the brake fluid regardless of milage, brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture and moisture in your brake lines is bad. This is something you may want to bring to the dealer for. Did you service the brake fluid when you changed out the pads and rotors? Also at 80k miles, not a bad idea to have the alignment checked out as well.

thanks all, for the vote of confidence.

yea im gonna replace the brake fluid, fuel filter, and transmission fluid as well when i do the service. No i did not replace the brake fluid when i changed my rotors/pads...thats cuz i never took the calipers off the brake lines. i got my alignment done when i got my suspension installed (around 10K miles ago).

/heads over to vwvortex to search for the right and best parts.