YACT: Replacing turn signals and brake lights with LEDs

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
I want to replace all my lights, except headlights, with LEDs! The plan is to use white LEDs for everything but the front turn signals. Those have clear lenses so I will use amber LEDs.
The problem is I don't know how many candlepower those stock bulbs put out. Anyone know?

Site with bright LEDs

They have 10,000 mcd white LEDs!

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
have fun buying 1,000 leds, running 2000 wires, and ending up with lights that look the same from behind the car.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: notfred
have fun buying 1,000 leds, running 2000 wires, and ending up with lights that look the same from behind the car.

They won't look the same. They will blink on and off instantly. And I'm pretty sure I won't need 1,000, at least not with 10 candela LEDs.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis

They won't look the same. They will blink on and off instantly. And I'm pretty sure I won't need 1,000, at least not with 10 candela LEDs.

Don't they already have components that just plug into your tailights? They are real LEDs,but they are already made in clusters. All you have to do is install them.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: mAdD INDIAN

Don't they already have components that just plug into your tailights? They are real LEDs,but they are already made in clusters. All you have to do is install them.

Really? I was hoping to market these :(. May be cheaper to make my own though.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
is this even legal?

im sure peoepl who manufacture them for sale have passed all state and federal regulations

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: BooGiMaN
is this even legal?

im sure peoepl who manufacture them for sale have passed all state and federal regulations

I thought the only regulation was the number of watts the bulbs use.

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
You just need to know the size of the bulb you're replacing and you buy the correspoding LED. Places like LiteSwap.com sell them...

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
ail
Originally posted by: atom
Why exactly do you need brighter taillights?

I didn't say anything about brighter.

Then why exactly are you doing it? It's been done before, and most people do it so they can increase the output.

MegaloManiaK

Golden Member
May 27, 2003

Yeah, sounds like a bad idea to me.

If you do it, you should watercool them and overclock the mofo's

"Yeah foxy lady, those are LED's, and they are supposed to run at 5 volts 1.5 milliamps but i got them running at 7.25 volts with 2.3 milliamps, want to have sex with me?"