YACT: quick woofer question

xxAgentCowxx

Jan 26, 2003
Im upgrading from my stock car stereo and speakers, and wanted to get a sub, but i dont know if i need one of those box thingamajiggers to mount it in or if i can just cut an extra hole in the space between the two rear speakers and mount it like an extra speaker...

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000
you would need a free-air sub to do that. it would use the trunk compartment as an enclosure.

most likely you will find a sub that needs a box to function though. it will sound like crap w/out a specific amount of airspace to work with

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
With very few exceptions, the front and rear of the cone must be sealed from each other.

Mount it in a properly tuned enclosure.

Viper GTS

OffTopic1

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2004
Originally posted by: sohcrates
you would need a free-air sub to do that. it would use the trunk compartment as an enclosure.

most likely you will find a sub that needs a box to function though. it will sound like crap w/out a specific amount of airspace to work with
Depends on what the design is. Some are design to use ported vent others are design with packed enclosure. There are some good 4-6in bass driver that you can mount under the dash.

I wouldn?t' be bother with frequency below 40hz, because it rattles all of the nuts & bolts of your car beside the fact that it make the music sound terrible due to parts rattling.