YACT/PSA: Before you buy a range rover, make sure you know what you're getting into

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
So I recently acquired a '96 Range with ~180K miles... I like to live on the wild side:)

Anyway, just a word of a warning - if you're not technically handy, stay away from these cars. So far I've put around a grand into the car (parts cost) , with the latest expense being a "new" rear end. If I didn't do the labor, the cost of that would be nearing 1/2 of what I paid for the whole car.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
So you bought a vehicle with 180k miles and are surprised that it needed a major repair? :confused:

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: MrPickins
So you bought a vehicle with 180k miles and are surprised that it needed a major repair? :confused:

rear differential wasn't something I expected to be honest... simple mechanical part like that should be relatively bulletproof

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: FoBoT
i wasn't remotely considering it

but thanks for the info

I posted a thread originally asking people what they think about buying it and the response was predominantly that... To be honest, the car isn't any worse than any of the other lux imports I've owned (A4, CLK, 300zx etc. ), just the parts run $$$

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: halik

rear differential wasn't something I expected to be honest... simple mechanical part like that should be relatively bulletproof

I wouldn't count on anything being bulletproof in a Range Rover.

soydios

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2006
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: halik

I wouldn't count on anything being bulletproof in a Range Rover.

you mean, in that model of range rover. the really old ones are bulletproof, the BMW-designed ones are pretty good, and the Ford ones are fine, so I've heard.