YACT: Power steering goes out in big puddles....

NokiaDude

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
Today I was driving in the rain in my 96' Chevy Lumina and I saw some big puddles. I love to drive through HUGE puddles and see the water gush out from the wheelwell. As I was coming home, I spotted a gigantic puddle onthe side of the road and drove though it. Shortly after driving though, the power steering went out for a couple of seconds, it was extremely had to turn. Is there any reason my power steering to go out?

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Water splashed up on the belt driving the pump and caused it to slip. Common thing.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Sounds like you just got water on your P/S pump, making the belt slip for a few seconds, no big deal

NokiaDude

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
Originally posted by: d33pt
yeah not a big deal..keep driving thru your puddles with glee

Awesome. That's almost what I thought it was, water on the belt. Sometimes after driving through the puddle I would see some steam rising from the engine bay. It must've been the water touching the engine or something. I will continue to drive through puddles like I'm in a hummer!! This whole week they're saying we're going to be hit hard with lots of rain, today was just the start!

:D :D :D :D :D

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
loose belt.... seems pretty obvious to me ... :p

(it's not FOR SURE, but seems extremely likely!)

Ketteringo

Banned
Feb 2, 2002
Going through puddles after you have braked recently (i.e. braking down a hill then driving through a huge puddle at the bottom) can cause your rotors to warp :(

*speaking from experience*

NokiaDude

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Ketteringo
Going through puddles after you have braked recently (i.e. braking down a hill then driving through a huge puddle at the bottom) can cause your rotors to warp :(

*speaking from experience*

That's why you shift down while going downhill, and gun it when you reach the puddle :D