YACT opinions pls on an old bimmer, first 5series

Stifko

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
I am looking at an old bmw. Its a 1980 528i w/134k miles and pretty cheap. Its clean, no rust and has Euro lights.
It was the seller's wife's car so he kept it well. Does anyone know about these cars ? I found it on craig's list and will post a link if thats allowed here by the mods.

Should I have my head examined for looking at such an old car in the first place ?

thanks

Ynog

Golden Member
Oct 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Asharus
That's too much for that car IMO

I agree, a 24 year old BMW. I imagine if that every breaks down it will cost a fortune to repair.

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
Are you a car guy? If so, or if you want to learn, this wouldn't be a bad project car. However, if you are looking for dependable transportation, I wouldn't touch a 24 year old car.

Stifko

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
B U M P for more opinions, BTW I am not really a car guy if you mean that to be a grease monkey. I know somethings about cars and drive 2 old VWs surrently.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Those old BMW sixes are pretty indestructable. With only 135,000 miles it's not a bad deal. Especially with no rust. It will be rather more costly to repair though. Also, don't be too fooled by the car being "Fuel Injected". Those old BOSCH systems still require a warm-up period. I'm guessing that it usese K-Jetronic, it's a robust system, but not fully computerized so the car is still going to take a little coaxing on cold mornings.

ZV

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
They have a nice 1995 5 series locally with only 107k for $8k. I doubt I could swing it with the mrs though ;) If only maintenance wasn't so pricey on them :(

WhiteKnight

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Those old BMW sixes are pretty indestructable. With only 135,000 miles it's not a bad deal. Especially with no rust. It will be rather more costly to repair though. Also, don't be too fooled by the car being "Fuel Injected". Those old BOSCH systems still require a warm-up period. I'm guessing that it usese K-Jetronic, it's a robust system, but not fully computerized so the car is still going to take a little coaxing on cold mornings.

ZV

It's a 5er.

phantom309

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Stifko
B U M P for more opinions, BTW I am not really a car guy if you mean that to be a grease monkey. I know somethings about cars and drive 2 old VWs surrently.

They're wonderful cars, and that's a fair price judging from the pics. But it's too old to be reliable transportation, and too German to be easy or cheap to repair. And unless you're prepared to do a LOT of your own work on it I think it will be a frustrating money pit to own - for openers I can tell you the AC is going to run you at least $500 to repair. Those cars are also glacially slow by modern standards - though they were considered quite fast in their time. I don't think you'll be happy with it.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: WhiteKnight

ZV
It's a 5er.
BMW never made a 5 cylinder engine...

ZV

Asharus

Oct 6, 2001

ZV
It's a 5er.

ZV

He meant 5er as in 5-Series.

Asharus

Oct 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
They have a nice 1995 5 series locally with only 107k for $8k. I doubt I could swing it with the mrs though ;) If only maintenance wasn't so pricey on them :(

I have a 1992 5, same body style. I have to tell ya that maintenance is really not that expensive. Here's a list of stuff that I had replaced in the 2 years of ownership:

1. Radiator - $200.
2. Oil leak by the oil filter, oil change, filter, hood shocks - $120
3. Heater Core, on board computer light bulbs, microfilter, that plastic thing covering the shifter - $350

That's the stuff that I recall being done to the car. Not too bad for an "expensive repair", 12 year old BMW, right?

That 1995 w/ 107k is not a bad price, but they might come down to 7k if you make an offer.

Visit this link for info on these vehicles.

Text

Stifko

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
Originally posted by: bR
Any particular reason why you like this one?

If you really want an old BMW get something like this... :D

I saw that 2002 but its on the wrong coast. I like the 80 b/c its local, cheap, a 5 speed and looks clean. Its a lot bigger and luxurious than my 87 scirocco and 84 jetta gli (w/a 1.8L 16V). I am gonna check out the 80 528i tomorrow. thanks for all the help BTW.

Asharus

Oct 6, 2001
If you can talk him down to $1.5 or even $1k, then I'd say go for it.

Edit:
Use the AC problem as a bargaining point.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Yeah, those are great cars and they are built like a tank but if you're looking for something with reasonable power I would look at something else. Those 80s Bimmers are dogs, especially if it is an automatic.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Asharus

ZV
It's a 5er.

ZV
He meant 5er as in 5-Series.
And I meant "sixes" as in six cylinder engines. (Which is what I thought my last post indicated.)

ZV