YACT: Oh Sheet! Windshield cracked. :(

SCSIfreek

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2000
Hi everyone,

This is a sad day in my car's life, a rock/metal hit my car's windshield and left a 1/4 inch crack. :( should I have a glass pro replace the entire windshield or could this be fix? I have no idea as far as how I should go about fixing it.
much appreciate anyone's help or suggestions.

--scsi

bleeb

Lifer
Feb 3, 2000
Sucks. I have two cracks, each about 15 inches long. Time to call Empire Glass, get the windshield replaced and head over to Sharis for 24 free dinners.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: SCSIfreek
Hi everyone,

This is a sad day in my car's life, a rock/metal hit my car's windshield and left a 1/4 inch crack. :( should I have a glass pro replace the extire windshield or could this be fix? I have no idea as far as how I should go about fixing it.

--scsi
If the crack is less than the size of a quarter see if an auto glass repair place can fix it. If they can not, get a new windshield.

SCSIfreek

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: minendo
Hi everyone,

This is a sad day in my car's life, a rock/metal hit my car's windshield and left a 1/4 inch crack. :( should I have a glass pro replace the extire windshield or could this be fix? I have no idea as far as how I should go about fixing it.

--scsi
If the crack is less than the size of a quarter see if an auto glass repair place can fix it. If they can not, get a new windshield.

the crack is less than half of a quarter in size. I'm just not so sure as to how can the pros fix a cracked glass? hmmm...

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
have your windshield replaced. shouldn't cost you a dime as insurance is required to replace it for free.

Least in KY its a state law. Don't know about other states.

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
Can you get your windshield replaced at the dealer?

My windshield was replaced and I notice the difference between the stock and the replacement...

SCSIfreek

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Kevin

My windshield was replaced and I notice the difference between the stock and the replacement...

so which one was better? more info please.

--Scsi

bleeb

Lifer
Feb 3, 2000
Just make sure you get OEM replacements... these aren't car manufacture glasses, but they meet car glass specifications exactly.

cmf21

Oct 10, 1999
I had a small crack in my windshield on the passanger side. My friend got sick of looking at it so he pressed on the glass around the crack til it was huge. I ended up having to get a new windsield because of him.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: cmf21
I had a small crack in my windshield on the passanger side. My friend got sick of looking at it so he pressed on the glass around the crack til it was huge. I ended up having to get a new windsield because of him.

Doesn't sound like much of a friend.

Adrian Tung

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Wow, you're lucky. I was driving at 90km/h on the highway when my windshield suddenly became a huge mess of spider-web patterns and cracked and crumbled. I spent quite a lot just to fix it, but also got the whole day off from work after that.... :D

:)atwl

Led Zeppelin

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2002
Call your insurance company today and add on full glass coverage. Wait a week or so, then call in with a claim to have your windshield replaced. Usually, it'll be covered 100%.

:)

SCSIfreek

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: LedZeppelin
Call your insurance company today and add on full glass coverage. Wait a week or so, then call in with a claim to have your windshield replaced. Usually, it'll be covered 100%.

my insurance has a $500 deductable on it :( so I'm better off paying it myself?

--Scsi

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
OK, this isn't a big deal. I had a chip in my windshield and getting it fixed was painless. I used these guys (http://www.harmonautoglass.com/). They came right to my apartment and fixed the crack. It's actually pretty cool how they do it.

if it's half the size of a quarter, call an auto glass place. they can probably fill in the crack and insurance takes care of that assuming you have glass coverage.

By some chance it can't be filled in and the whole windshield needs replacing, there's probably a deductible you will have to pay

Led Zeppelin

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2002

my insurance has a $500 deductable on it :( so I'm better off paying it myself?

--Scsi

wow, that's a really high deductable for glass. Geico, which I have, has windshield replacement covered at 100% with no deductable. If that's the case. you're better off not getting insurance involved and paying it off yourself. Windshields shouldn't run more than a few hundred tops.

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
Originally posted by: Kevin

so which one was better? more info please.

--Scsi

The stock was much better, I wouldn't have said it if the replacement was better ;)

Basically the replacement one is really hard to clean without streaks and defrosting takes a long time. I don't think it was cheap either and we went to a special shop that was supposed to be really good...

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Florida law requires that windshields be covered with no deductable -- if my windshield was damaged, it wouldn't cost me anything to fix it..even with our $100/$500 (can't remember which, but I really should check) deductable. Not sure how it is in CA.. :)

SCSIfreek

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2000
just got a quote to fix it, $49.95, sounds reasonable? small crack but I would like to have it fix ASAP :(. They could come out today and fix it on the spot as I was quoted.

--SCsi

Check with your insurance company! In Michigan, it's a STATE law that windshields are covered at 100% with NO deductible.

My family has had three windshield replacements in the past two years. It's becoming relatively routine, and we don't even do that much highway driving.
rolleye.gif

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
just got a quote to fix it, $49.95, sounds reasonable? small crack but I would like to have it fix ASAP :(. They could come out today and fix it on the spot as I was quoted.

--SCsi

to fix that crack that's in the ball park. Mine was $39.95 I believe but insurance took care of it.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: spidey07
have your windshield replaced. shouldn't cost you a dime as insurance is required to replace it for free.

Least in KY its a state law. Don't know about other states.

because that law didn't raise your premium at all!

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

fraud, the best crime!

rufruf44

Platinum Member
May 8, 2001
Originally posted by: jumpr
Check with your insurance company! In Michigan, it's a STATE law that windshields are covered at 100% with NO deductible.

My family has had three windshield replacements in the past two years. It's becoming relatively routine, and we don't even do that much highway driving.
rolleye.gif

Did they raise the premium afterwards ? Thats what happen to mine after 2 windshields repair (not even replacement).

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
buy some crack repair stuff quick. you can do it yourself. its just like glue that seeps in and you scrape off the excess with a razor. ussually the kit comes with a injector thing that tries to force it into the crack. wait.. and temp change like heat will grow it so fast you'll cry. you still have time! go go go!