YACT: New brake pads? Change it ASAP or can it wait?

Kenny

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2002
My parents drive a 99 accord, and I think it needs new brake pads. Everytime I lightly tap the brakes it makes squelching sounds...

They're going to be driving about 200 miles all day tomorrow, is it safe to do so? They're planning on driving about 300 miles until they change it (schedule conflicts with work won't allow them to change it until then)

Another thing is that I think I hear some squealching when I'm accelerating as well, is this related to the brakes at all?

I don't know anything about cars...I know I should learn but I don't have the time for it yet due to school.

Thanks.

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
How many miles are on the car and or breaks? Make sure the brake fluid is topped off also.

Kenny

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2002
There's about 39,000 miles on the car right now. How would I top off the brake fluid? I don't have any car tools here because my parents always take the car to a mechanic. So if it requires tools I won't be able to get it done.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Get the pads changed now, the longer you delay the more expensive it can get. If the pads wear down enough then it starts to wear on the rotors and things get a good bit more expensive from there.

Kenny

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2002
Anyone have an idea of how long it usually takes to install new ones in?

My parents are leaving for a trip in about 6 hours; I've advised them not to use the brakes too much on the freeway and to get them changed when they get to their destination.

d33pt

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
it's probably the wear indicator rubbing. it will be fine for 300 miles, but change them very soon after. as for topping off the brake fluid, don't do that. all it will do is make the fluid overflow when new pads are put in.

Kenny

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2002
Originally posted by: d33pt
it's probably the wear indicator rubbing. it will be fine for 300 miles, but change them very soon after. as for topping off the brake fluid, don't do that. all it will do is make the fluid overflow when new pads are put in.

Thank you for that reassuring info.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Kenny
Anyone have an idea of how long it usually takes to install new ones in?

My parents are leaving for a trip in about 6 hours; I've advised them not to use the brakes too much on the freeway and to get them changed when they get to their destination.

A good shop can do a set of brakes in 30 minutes.

Fix your brakes now.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Kenny
There's about 39,000 miles on the car right now. How would I top off the brake fluid? I don't have any car tools here because my parents always take the car to a mechanic. So if it requires tools I won't be able to get it done.

Don't top off the brake fluid... if your pads are squeeling, it's time for new pads, and your brake fluid will be low because the cylinders in the calipers are holding more fluid because the pads are so thin... if you top it off now, then put new pads on, when you compress the caliper to get the new pads in, you'll have brake fluid gushing out of the resevoir... and brake fluid WILL remove paint if not cleaned up right away.

Abhi

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
As far as i know...

change em ASAP ... or your brake discs can get damaged....

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Sounds like the rotors are already messed up. You probably can't resurface them, since they're so thin to start with. They're probably going to get ripped off if they don't shop around for the best deal on new pads and rotors. You could price that over the phone, but I don't think there's enough time to do it now. Might as well just drive it and get it done when they get back. Won't cost any more at that time, and probably will be cheaper since you'll have time to get the best price.

Edit: Holy crap! The rotors are $55.00 on that thing! Damn, they better be able to be resurfaced a couple times. I thought those were "economy" cars!