YACT: My New 2006 Pontiac GTO

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: karlchad
i think it looks like a hooked up cavalier

Hooked up? That's a new one. I'll have to seach the Honda forums to find out what that means.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Does the radio play MP3's? I know it may sound stupid but this is a must have for any car I might buy

AStar617

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2002
Congrats, glad you're happy with the purchase. :thumbsup:

If I may be frank tho, I *really* wish GM chose a body design more worthy of that badass engine (and even the GTO name). IMHO it has the dubious distinction of being the ultimate sleeper car, literally--that exterior really makes me *yaaaaaawn*...

Anyways, happy motoring :beer:

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: AMDZen
Does the radio play MP3's? I know it may sound stupid but this is a must have for any car I might buy
No it doesn't, 6-disc in-dash regular audio CD's and no support for CD text :( If it had CD text I'd be pretty happy

I've got a very nice Alpine deck in my Subaru which plays MP3's, but honestly I'm not missing it yet. The stock speakers are eh, but good enough. I just find myself paying more attention to driving the car (esp being new to stick) than worrying about the radio. And 6-discs has plenty of songs for me, but I agree they should've included MP3 support. Just like they should've included auto-dimming/power rear-view mirror, better rear-seat access, etc etc. :)

VoBoy

Nov 16, 2004
GTO's aren't my cup of tea on the looks side, but they're sheer 6.0 literacola powa makes me want one.

DaFanMan

Apr 7, 2002
Nice looking car! I had an 04' for about a year, it's been my favorite vehicle and I often regret trading it in. The interior is top notch and the power, man I miss the power. As for the appearance argument. The original GTO was just a run of the mill tempest with some trim and a big ass engine, it wasnt anything flashy or amazing. I loved my Goat because it often went un-noticed until you get on the gas, then people notice.

Enjoy it, the LS1/2 really starts to come alive after you get a few thousand miles on it.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Maybe I should send you all the interior care stuff that I don't use anymore now that my goat's gone...full "can" of Meguiars wipes, leather stuff...

<sigh> I should stay out of this thread ;)

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: DaFanMan
Nice looking car! I had an 04' for about a year, it's been my favorite vehicle and I often regret trading it in. The interior is top notch and the power, man I miss the power. As for the appearance argument. The original GTO was just a run of the mill tempest with some trim and a big ass engine, it wasnt anything flashy or amazing. I loved my Goat because it often went un-noticed until you get on the gas, then people notice.

Enjoy it, the LS1/2 really starts to come alive after you get a few thousand miles on it.

The tri-power GTO was freaking demonic sounding; the book I have about them describes it as a MAD HOOVER GOD. *edit*, my dad was buying my first car...many have had an issue with that...however; the 1965 GTO we were looking at had this...only it had some kind of navy interior and I didn't like the 1965 front or rear as much at the 1967.

People diss them with turning only 6 sec 0-60 times and low 14's in the 1/4 mildly modded...major mods put them a bit quicker...however it was really the tire technology at the time holding them back.

The same generation firebird began to get some of the GTO's gems and often performed better.

The Hurst Dual Gate was another option that is being duplicated (much better) today, I am not sure if that was on the 1967 Ram Air I almost ended up with over my 1966 Mustang GT back in 1988.

UDT89

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
im getting ready to trade my 04 goat in early this february.......im debating getting another one.......