YACT: Modifications to new car without voiding warrenty

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Just wondering if anyone had any clue as to what modifications can be made to a vehicle WITHOUT voiding the warrenty? YES I already read the %$# warrenty...it says something along the lines of "Will NOT cover damage caused by parts not covered by this warrenty". But what the heck does that mean?
can i install a new head unit? amp?
Transmission Cooler? Exauhst System?
How far can you go without them screwing you over?

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Drakkon

To not cover a broken part, they have to prove that it was your aftermarket part that broke it.

So for example, if your engine explodes, they will cover it even if you have aftermarket mud flaps...

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
It means that if an added part fails and takes something else with it, they won't cover those parts. E.g. if an aftermarket transmission cooler fails and all the fluid leaks out of the transmission because the aftermarket cooler failed, then the transmission will NOT be covered by warranty repair (should be covered by the transmission cooler's warranty though if it's a good one).

Basically, if a non-original part fails and causes other failures, none of the failures caused by the aftermarket part's failure are covered.

ZV

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Originally posted by: Drakkon

To not cover a broken part, they have to prove that it was your aftermarket part that broke it.

So for example, if your engine explodes, they will cover it even if you have aftermarket mud flaps...

Jan 31, 2002
MAGNUSON MOSS WARRANTY ACT

US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312

Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) . For best results, consider working with performance-oriented dealerships with a proven history of working with customers. If your vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission/warranty claims, contact EPA at (202) 260-2080 or www.epa.gov. If federal warranty protection is denied, contact the FTC at (202) 326-3128 or www.ftc.gov.

- M4H

Gurck

Banned
Mar 16, 2004
You can add hundreds of horsepower on the cheap with Type-R stickers. Why more people don't do this is beyond me.

SilentZero

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
Good luck. Can't even begin to count how many warranties I have killed in the past 5 years. Basically its up to the dealer. If its a BMW, your in for a shock! lol
I changed the suspension on my BMW E46 M3 (put on some coilovers), put 19in wheels, and put in a exhaust, and these things destroyed my warranty. Subaru and Acura were both a little more understanding, as they only void specific sections of my warranty, but some like BMW will void much more.

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005
Originally posted by: SilentZero
Good luck. Can't even begin to count how many warranties I have killed in the past 5 years. Basically its up to the dealer. If its a BMW, your in for a shock! lol
I changed the suspension on my BMW E46 M3 (put on some coilovers), put 19in wheels, and put in a exhaust, and these things destroyed my warranty. Subaru and Acura were both a little more understanding, as they only void specific sections of my warranty, but some like BMW will void much more.

Did you check what M4H posted?

Zee

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: QuitBanningMe

yeah go start making some calls

SilentZero

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
Originally posted by: QuitBanningMe

Yup..been there done that. But believe me this, if they want to void your warranty, they will find a connection between the aftermarket part and the problem. It is messed up and very sad, but its a fact of life. I had various issues with BMW and even once with subaru over this. I had mixed results with BMW, and ended up having to pay about $2000 for repairs on the first instance, but the second time after about 2 weeks of writing letters and complaining, they gave me a break and just did the repair (was a different issue, but they claimed it was related to the aftermarket exhaust). With subaru, they initially denied the warranty claim, but later accepted it and warned me. However now since the engine and transmission has been altered, I am most definately screwed. The acura instance was a whole different story, because there are light modifications to it (wifes car), but they were still being jerks about it.