YACT: is this Pre-owned BMW a good deal?

Rufio

Banned
Mar 18, 2003
4,638
0
0
I found my local dealer who has a 2000 525i BMW certified preowned. about 44,000 miles on it.

I got it down to $27,900.

Is that a good deal?

Anyone have experience with certified pre-owned BMW's? Any advice?

Thanks in advance!
 

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
15,903
4
81
Does it have to be certified that it has been owned before. Couldn't you just tell by the odometer. :)


KK
 

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
18,438
5
81
Originally posted by: KK
Does it have to be certified that it has been owned before. Couldn't you just tell by the odometer. :)


KK

Certified usually means it comes with a warranty. I'm not sure about BMW's, but Certified Acuras come with a longer warranty then their new ones.
 

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
12,493
18
81
Hey as long as you have lots of money to pay for service when it is needed....and it will be needed. Going to the BMW dealer is usually a $1000 deal for just about anything. Enjoy your German iron!!!!!!
 

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
15,549
1
81
well if it's certified, it must have an extended warranty, and if it does, that's a sweet car! get it!@
 

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
28,578
3
81
as much as I love the 5 series, i wouldn't purchase a german car unless you can handle all the maintainance and such.

I wonder if the certified comes with free maintainance.

if it doesn't, it's gonna cost youa bundle.
 

Rufio

Banned
Mar 18, 2003
4,638
0
0
Originally posted by: isekii
as much as I love the 5 series, i wouldn't purchase a german car unless you can handle all the maintainance and such.

I wonder if the certified comes with free maintainance.

if it doesn't, it's gonna cost youa bundle.

it does come w/free maintainence for 5 years or 100,00 miles, whichever comes first.

there are already 45,000 miles on it, so there are 55,000 miles left on warranty
 

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
28,578
3
81
Originally posted by: Rufio
Originally posted by: isekii
as much as I love the 5 series, i wouldn't purchase a german car unless you can handle all the maintainance and such.

I wonder if the certified comes with free maintainance.

if it doesn't, it's gonna cost youa bundle.

it does come w/free maintainence for 5 years or 100,00 miles, whichever comes first.

there are already 45,000 miles on it, so there are 55,000 miles left on warranty

So you get about 10 Scheduled warranty right ? What's bimmers interval ?
If you're thinking about a 525i why not go full out and get the 540i ?
It couldn't cost that much more.. plus it's badass
 

Rufio

Banned
Mar 18, 2003
4,638
0
0
Originally posted by: isekii
Originally posted by: Rufio
Originally posted by: isekii
as much as I love the 5 series, i wouldn't purchase a german car unless you can handle all the maintainance and such.

I wonder if the certified comes with free maintainance.

if it doesn't, it's gonna cost youa bundle.

it does come w/free maintainence for 5 years or 100,00 miles, whichever comes first.

there are already 45,000 miles on it, so there are 55,000 miles left on warranty

So you get about 10 Scheduled warranty right ? What's bimmers interval ?
If you're thinking about a 525i why not go full out and get the 540i ?
It couldn't cost that much more.. plus it's badass

well, this car is preowned certified, and there isn't a big selection for the ones we want (color and model). this is the best one, and the price is so damn appealing.

i have a strange feeling that today she is going to get it -- her sis is a successful doctor, and they are coming from far away just to "visit." they never come during the weekdays just to "visit."

i think they are going to get the car for her...or at least put some $$ into it to get a better car. i told her to get an M3 so i could be so insanely jealous. :p

 

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
5,158
0
71
Well just letting you know, from a BMW owner, I alone haven't had many problems (a few but nothing to bawl over). But my friends have all had the worst luck with BMWs... honestly we never dis on Hyundai's or domestics anymore, that's how bad it has gotten. Everytime we crack a joke about cars regarding problems and reliability, we go straight to Bimmers. Ultimate driving machine/experience... when you can get it to run...
 

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
28,578
3
81
Originally posted by: dcdomain
Well just letting you know, from a BMW owner, I alone haven't had many problems (a few but nothing to bawl over). But my friends have all had the worst luck with BMWs... honestly we never dis on Hyundai's or domestics anymore, that's how bad it has gotten. Everytime we crack a joke about cars regarding problems and reliability, we go straight to Bimmers. Ultimate driving machine/experience... when you can get it to run...

heh ;)
they're still nice cars.
 

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
50,415
14,305
136
Both Edmunds and KBB seem to think that that would be a good price for that car.
 

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
15,549
1
81
Originally posted by: Atrail
My friend got his 5.28i with 50K for $20K with 100K warranty....

nice :) if they have warranty, then that's a very good price.
 

bolido2000

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
3,720
1
0
It sounds like a good price, although the car will become doubly old by the end of the year when the new 5 series hits the road. I would get a used G35 instead. Yeah, I am guessing a girl is gonna drive it and she rather drive a Bimmer cuz is a Bimmer.
Anyways...I wouldn't buy a used 5 series now cuz the new one is coming out. Better get a used 330 IMO.
 

bolido2000

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
3,720
1
0
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
"Pre" "owned" ??? you mean USED?? jesus do you work for a car dealership?

People usually associate Pre-owned with certified used car, so yeah I guess it does sounds better.
 

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
17,090
2
0
Mate has an M3 convertible. Got it for £14k roughly. Thats ~ $21k such a SWEET car for an 19yr old. Saved up all the money too.
 

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000
9,999
1
0
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
"Pre" "owned" ??? you mean USED?? jesus do you work for a car dealership?
Some of the dealers around here used to call them "experienced" cars.

:)
 

007bond

Senior member
May 11, 2002
337
0
71
Originally posted by: bolido2000
It sounds like a good price, although the car will become doubly old by the end of the year when the new 5 series hits the road. I would get a used G35 instead. Yeah, I am guessing a girl is gonna drive it and she rather drive a Bimmer cuz is a Bimmer.
Anyways...I wouldn't buy a used 5 series now cuz the new one is coming out. Better get a used 330 IMO.

Have you seen pictures of the new 5 series? That's another reason right there to buy a used one now. :)

 

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
7,560
0
0
Originally posted by: Rufio
I found my local dealer who has a 2000 525i BMW certified preowned. about 44,000 miles on it.

I got it down to $27,900.

Is that a good deal?

Anyone have experience with certified pre-owned BMW's? Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Actually yes, that is a very good deal. We have a cert preowned 98' 528i, they wanted 26,000 for it. Handed them a check for 20,000 and they took it. :)
It has 44,000 on it and no dents or visible scratches. Immaculate condition and new tires. Also the 5 series is about their best made car. 5series > 3 series > 7 series as far as reliability and quality/value.
 

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
6,745
1
81
Just make sure you have enough money to cover the maintenance and anything that isn't covered under the CPO warranty, because things will break.