YACT: Info on swapping my stock stereo/speakers out myself

xxAgentCowxx

Jan 26, 2003
I have an 88 camry, the stock deck is am/fm/cassette, and ALL of my speakers are blown. i wanted to put in new speakers and a cheap POS cd player (we're looking at a TINY budget here) and was hoping to do it myself to save some $... but i dont know the first thing about any of it. does anyone have links to a non-biased (not selling you stuff) site so i can read up on what i need to get and what all the specs mean? thanks in advance

arcenite

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
i dont know what you mean by tiny budget... but I got 2x 4x6 Audiobahns and 2x 6x8 Audiobans from ebay NEW for 100$ shipped... You can get a usable headunit for 100 or less as well (used)

Edit: You need to determine what size speakers you need above all first

Bill

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Here is a link to removing the door panels.

Link

Edit: Link to some cheap speakers > Link

Just remember when buying speakers make sure the depth is the same or less or you window may come incontact with it.

xxAgentCowxx

Jan 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Quixfire

Link

Just remember when buying speakers make sure the depth is the same or less or you window may come incontact with it.

Thanks man! In that guide, it keeps saying "on non-power windows"... mine are power, does it make a difference?

EDIT: stupid self... looks like its just an extra step for removing the cranks...

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: xxAgentCowxx
Originally posted by: Quixfire

Link

Thanks man! In that guide, it keeps saying "on non-power windows"... mine are power, does it make a difference?

EDIT: stupid self... looks like its just an extra step for removing the cranks...
Yeah, the only two differences are removing the cranks and disconnecting the window switch connector.

Black88GTA

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
Crutchfield is kind of expensive, but they have a pretty good rundown of what the specs mean and what to look for. The site does try to sell you stuff, but is a very good resource to determine what speakers and head units will fit your car, as well as information on specific models.

I was looking for a cheap AM/FM/CD head unit a couple years ago and found a crappy Audiophase model at Best Buy brand new for $50. I still have it, and it's still working perfectly FWIW, although it is cheezy.