YACT: How does a Canadian Honda Accord have better gas mileage

deejayshakur

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2000
i'm looking at a used 2001 honda accord coupe that was purchased in canada and imported to the US, and noticed online that the specs are different for US and canadian versions.

US= 26/32mpg
ca= 29/42mpg

the owner says he doesn't calculate his gas mileage so he's no help. and both american and canadian engines are the VTEC type. so i can't figure out what the discrepancy in mileage is due to.

about the car: 2001 accord coupe EX; 38,000mi (~60,000km). asking $13,500...very clean, 1 owner, no accidents, all records available. the only difference is that the gauges are in metric (but that wasn't an issue when i drove it). how does it sound, and what else should i be aware of about this car's canadian origins (though technically it was made in the USA)?

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Also, Canadian cars are not likely tested by the EPA (a US Gov't agency), and whoever tests them in Canada might use different testing methods.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: notfred
Also, Canadian cars are not likely tested by the EPA (a US Gov't agency), and whoever tests them in Canada might use different testing methods.

er, our cars are built at the same place they all are.

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

The difference is infact as stated by Pepsi, with the key being the size of the gallons.. But just on another note, Honda's sold in Canada meet with California's Vehicle Emission Standards, since they are, designed in California..

deejayshakur

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919

yea, you'd think they'd build canadian accords in canada, but i guess it's more cost-effective to build them all in ohio and export them.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: dawks

The difference is infact as stated by Pepsi, with the key being the size of the gallons.. But just on another note, Honda's sold in Canada meet with California's Vehicle Emission Standards, since they are, designed in California..

i've never heard that. my 91 civic matched up with the rest of them, not the california model.

deejayshakur

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2000

but no ULEV status. :( not that i would want to give up 2hp.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: deejayshakur

yea, you'd think they'd build canadian accords in canada, but i guess it's more cost-effective to build them all in ohio and export them.

they make the freestar here, and engines too.

deejayshakur

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2000
so pepsi, any reason i should be wary of this car? it passed california emissions, etc. i think the metric gauges are pretty cool actually.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
so pepsi, any reason i should be wary of this car? it passed california emissions, etc. i think the metric gauges are pretty cool actually.

i wouldn't worry about anything. yeah the gages will be all metric, if it applies. things like oil pressure PSI will be in Kilopascals (kPa), engine temperature in celsius, speed in km/h with mph in the middle, etc.

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
i'm looking at a used 2001 honda accord coupe that was purchased in canada and imported to the US, and noticed online that the specs are different for US and canadian versions.

US= 26/32mpg
ca= 29/42mpg

the owner says he doesn't calculate his gas mileage so he's no help. and both american and canadian engines are the VTEC type. so i can't figure out what the discrepancy in mileage is due to.

about the car: 2001 accord coupe EX; 38,000mi (~60,000km). asking $13,500...very clean, 1 owner, no accidents, all records available. the only difference is that the gauges are in metric (but that wasn't an issue when i drove it). how does it sound, and what else should i be aware of about this car's canadian origins (though technically it was made in the USA)?

One warning, for Honda/Acura cars that are purchased across the border (I've looked into purchasing a car originally built in the US) the warranty is only good on the person that imports it, which means your resale value is nonexistant.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001

That wasn't my point. My point was that when Honda gives the EPA a car to test, the EPA might drive it and find that it gets 31mpg. When Honda gives the same car to the Canadian gov't to test, they might drive it more or less agressively and get a different number. Of course, the EPA number would be used for US sales, and the Canadian number would be used for Canadian sales.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
oh and you're guaranteed to have daytime running lights, if they're not standard on the US model already.

deejayshakur

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2000
oh and you're guaranteed to have daytime running lights, if they're not standard on the US model already.

yea i saw that on the dashboard, very nice. that is a required feature on all canadian cars i take it?

and the warranty is already dead cause it's past 3yr/36k miles...