YACT: how do you get out small scratches in paint?

isaacmacdonald

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2002
I have a 98 stratus. It's got a few scratches that are annoying me. My sister in law mentioned that there was a very easy way to get them out without using the little touchup spray paint things. Anyone know anything about this?

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
pay somebody to buff it out, if it's bigger scratch, pay somebody to wetsand it out

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Zaino!! :) Provided that they are superficial scratches and not to the metal, Zaino will get it out and make your car look fantastic.

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Descartes
Zaino!! :) Provided that they are superficial scratches and not to the metal, Zaino will get it out and make your car look fantastic.
Zaino won't do very much if anything. It's not abrasive.
Here's a great article on what to do... probably a bit more than you're looking for though.
Link

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
A $6 dollar bottle of polish and a 100% cotton towel will remove (or at least greatly diminish) most light scratches. Meguiar's is the most readily available quality product.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Mutilator
Here's a great article on what to do... probably a bit more than you're looking for though.
Link

Zaino most definitely gets ride of those superficial scratches, and swirlmarks as well.

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
Link

Zaino most definitely gets ride of those superficial scratches, and swirlmarks as well.
No it doesn't. ;)
It might fill them... but it doesn't get rid of them. The only way to remove a swirlmark is to remove the paint to get it down to the same level as the base of the swirl. This means using an abrasive such as 3M Swirl Mark Remover.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I see that you said you didn't want to use touch-up paint. Why not? You match the color and get the same factory paint. If you learn how to apply it correctly, it can look great. I recently touched up some big scratches on my Maxima, you'd never know.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Link

I wouldn't say it gets rid of them, but it definitely covers them up. Which is good enough for me. :)

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Mani
Link

I wouldn't say it gets rid of them, but it definitely covers them up. Which is good enough for me. :)

Well, it fills the scratches and makes the surface level; what more could you ask for? :) Obviously it doesn't if someone has keyed your car, but it works for those scratches that seem to find themselves onto your car after you've spent hours cleaning it.