YACT: help me choose a new battery. ***final update in 1st post***

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I bought a 1977 Pontiac Bonneville in 1982. The battery lasted about another year, and worked fine through a Northeast Ohio winter. I replaced that battery, which was the original Delco, and it was just a lowly OEM without much CCA at all. It was effortlessly spinning a 301ci V8 for all of five years here in these winters.

I recently bought a battery from Walmart for about $40.00, and it has as much, or more CCA rating than the OEM battery, which is for a 302ci V8. I would think a wondrous Volvo would include a battery at least as healthy as an ancient Pontiac!

Edit: I think it's a pretty safe bet that ALL brands of batteries have evolved far beyond the likes of a 1977 vintage Delco!

Johnson Controls Automotive Group
  • Headquarters: Plymouth

Products: Automotive seating and interiors, batteries

Customers: Advance Auto, AutoZone, Costco, DaimlerChrysler, Fiat, GM, Honda, Interstate Battery System of America, John Deere, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, NUMMI, Pep Boys, Peugeot, Renault, Sears, Toyota, Volkswagen, and Wal-Mart

TwoBills

Apr 11, 2004
Originally posted by: gotsmack
]

As for your questions, the volvo battery I have in there now lasted for a few months shy of 4 years, it is crap for reliability as it required a jump in the second winter, the Interstate battery I had in there NEVER required a jump in winters that were colder except the year it died. Lasted the 4 years I had it and I don't know how many years my grandma had it before she signed the car over to me.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------And you're not considering an Interstate battery because.................

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
Originally posted by: TwoBills
And you're not considering an Interstate battery because.................

Because I can't find one in the area, I called all of the local places I know how to get to: sears, autozone, strauss auto, NAPA and they only carry their store brand batteries for the size battery I need.

The only other places I haven;t called are BJ's wholesale club that has an auto division, but I don't have a BJs club card. Theres a sam's club somewhere close to me but I don;t know where it is and there is a Walmart I know how to get to but its kinda far away (20 minute drive compares to <10 minutes for the other places).

TwoBills

Apr 11, 2004
Originally posted by: gotsmack
Originally posted by: TwoBills
And you're not considering an Interstate battery because.................

Because I can't find one in the area, I called all of the local places I know how to get to: sears, autozone, strauss auto, NAPA and they only carry their store brand batteries for the size battery I need.

The only other places I haven;t called are BJ's wholesale club that has an auto division, but I don't have a BJs club card. Theres a sam's club somewhere close to me but I don;t know where it is and there is a Walmart I know how to get to but its kinda far away (20 minute drive compares to <10 minutes for the other places).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try this:locator Click the distributor button and it'll bring up the warehouses only. Worth driving a half hour.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
I would get the autozone battery.

When I worked at seras (years and years ago) they charged to even test the charging system etc... before they would even THINK of replacing the battery and would charge the person if the battery was good. Autozone does that for free, the last I checked?